Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BOSTON named starter for Bucs over Stovall « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #30 : August 23, 2007, 03:25:40 PM »

Hey, I resent that third thing.

Dude, face it, you sucked.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
« #31 : August 23, 2007, 03:28:55 PM »

Famous Disasters in Talent evaluation, exhibit A (from the St. Pete Times):

In the spring of 1982, linebacker Scot Brantley was eating dinner in a Tampa restaurant when he saw his bosses walk in. Even now, he remembers how fired up they were.

Wayne Fontes, the defensive coordinator, was with defensive line coach Abe Gibron and linebacker coach Howard Tippett. The three of them had just returned from watching a potential draftee work out and, to say the least, they were impressed.

"We have just found our next Lee Roy Selmon," one of them said. "His name is Booker Reese."

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #32 : August 23, 2007, 03:33:11 PM »

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/07/27/Columns/Opportunity_Lost.shtml

A good article for the whipper-snappers who don't recall this. Read it and then get the hell off my lawn!

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #33 : August 23, 2007, 03:36:25 PM »

It boggles my mind how McKay gets ripped to shreads for building very good teams for a long period of time and Allen gets praise for going 20-28. But I guess its easier to blame the divisional rival's GM for Allen's blunders.

It has been expained and addressed ad nauseam. So appearantly your mind is very easily boggled.

By explained you mean people ignoring Bruce Allen's 2004 off-season, which was without a doubt the worst in franchise history and is the main reason why we're one of the worst teams in the league as of right now.

Worse than spending the #1 overall pick on Bo "I will sit out rather than play in Tampa" Jackson?
Worse than trading a 1st rnd pick for Jack Thompson, a pick that ended up being no.1 overall in a draft?
Worse than trading the 1st rnd pick in '83(a draft that had 5 HOFers) for a 2nd rnd pick in '82 i.e. Booker Reese?
Worse than trading the 1st rnd 2nd overall pick in '92 for Chris Chandler?
Worse than trading Steve Young for a 2nd rnd pick?
Worse than drafting Eric Curry or McCants?

you obviously failed history.

I got one, I got one.  Trading a second round pick to move up to draft Yatta.  Jacquez Green/Reidel Anthony draft picks.  Couple for the Rich McKay built this team for the long term crowd.  Oh and the Sactana Dotson Franchise Player fiasco (don't remember the details of that one)

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

« #34 : August 23, 2007, 03:41:10 PM »

With the way that Stovall and Boston have played in the 2 preseason games that we have played. This is no surprise. Boston has looked very good. Stovall has looked non-existence.

JC510

Practice Squad

« #35 : August 23, 2007, 03:44:40 PM »

It boggles my mind how McKay gets ripped to shreads for building very good teams for a long period of time and Allen gets praise for going 20-28. But I guess its easier to blame the divisional rival's GM for Allen's blunders.

It has been expained and addressed ad nauseam. So appearantly your mind is very easily boggled.

By explained you mean people ignoring Bruce Allen's 2004 off-season, which was without a doubt the worst in franchise history and is the main reason why we're one of the worst teams in the league as of right now.

Worse than spending the #1 overall pick on Bo "I will sit out rather than play in Tampa" Jackson? 
Worse than trading a 1st rnd pick for Jack Thompson, a pick that ended up being no.1 overall in a draft?
Worse than trading the 1st rnd pick in '83(a draft that had 5 HOFers) for a 2nd rnd pick in '82 i.e. Booker Reese?

I'm talking off-season as a whole. He took over a great team and dismantled it for bums that he cut a year a later and whiffed on day 1 of the draft (Clayton and Cooper).

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #36 : August 23, 2007, 03:48:29 PM »

Yes, selective memory is a great thing.

buckit

Hall of Famer

« #37 : August 23, 2007, 03:53:19 PM »

Good for Boston.  That guy has worked his ass off to make a comeback.  He's talented and humbled.  Good combination.  As for Gruden's comment, at least you always know where the guy stands.  If Stovall is offended, he should be.  Not so much by Gru's words, but by the need for Gruden to call him out like that.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

thanson

Starter

« #38 : August 23, 2007, 03:58:59 PM »

Clayton is on a rebound. He is our best WR. He is worth at least 2 first round picks.
BUCky Badger

blitz

Pro Bowler
« #39 : August 23, 2007, 04:05:39 PM »

David Boston understands things that both Clayton and Stovall don't at this point in their careers.  One hit and this whole thing can disappear.  Better bust it while you can because you ain't promised tomorrow so stop taking games off.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #40 : August 23, 2007, 04:11:48 PM »

I got one, I got one. Trading a second round pick to move up to draft Yatta. Jacquez Green/Reidel Anthony draft picks. Couple for the Rich McKay built this team for the long term crowd. Oh and the Sactana Dotson Franchise Player fiasco (don't remember the details of that one)

It was Chidi Ahanotu, JC510's hero McKay used the Franchise tag on Ahanotu in '99 then signed him later the same year, instead of waiting until after March 1, to a 6 yr deal thus tying up the franchise tag until 2004. Mckay then cut Ahanotu in '01. This lead to the Bruce Allen quote ``I would [lock Sapp up with the franchise tag], but we don't have a franchise tag,'' Allen said. ``[Ex- Bucs defensive end] Chidi Ahanotu still has that, and he's with San Francisco.''

So the loss of Sapp can be directly blamed on McKay's ineptness.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #41 : August 23, 2007, 04:14:09 PM »

I'm talking off-season as a whole. He took over a great team and dismantled it for bums that he cut a year a later and whiffed on day 1 of the draft (Clayton and Cooper).
While the Bucs may have made worse singular moves previously, the sum of the total moves may make it the worst:

* Sapp leaves
* Lynch is cut
* Draft Michael Clayton is 1st round
* Draft Marquis Cooper in 3rd round
* Sign Charlie Garner
* Sign Derrick Deese
* Sign Todd Steussie
* Sign Matt Stinchcomb

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #42 : August 23, 2007, 04:16:16 PM »

I got one, I got one. Trading a second round pick to move up to draft Yatta. Jacquez Green/Reidel Anthony draft picks. Couple for the Rich McKay built this team for the long term crowd. Oh and the Sactana Dotson Franchise Player fiasco (don't remember the details of that one)

It was Chidi Ahanotu, JC510's hero McKay used the Franchise tag on Ahanotu in '99 then signed him later the same year, instead of waiting until after March 1, to a 6 yr deal thus tying up the franchise tag until 2004. Mckay then cut Ahanotu in '01. This lead to the Bruce Allen quote ``I would [lock Sapp up with the franchise tag], but we don't have a franchise tag,'' Allen said. ``[Ex- Bucs defensive end] Chidi Ahanotu still has that, and he's with San Francisco.''

So the loss of Sapp can be directly blamed on McKay's ineptness.

Thanks.  My ineptness led to the wrong player being used.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

« #43 : August 23, 2007, 04:18:03 PM »

You obviously haven't been a fan for long if you think 2004 was the worst in history.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #44 : August 23, 2007, 04:23:12 PM »

While the Bucs may have made worse singular moves previously, the sum of the total moves may make it the worst:

* Sapp leaves
* Lynch is cut
* Draft Michael Clayton is 1st round
* Draft Marquis Cooper in 3rd round
* Sign Charlie Garner
* Sign Derrick Deese
* Sign Todd Steussie
* Sign Matt Stinchcomb

The sum of McKay's moves in his last few years were equally bad.  Yatta pick and trade of pick to move up (1st and 2nd), Green (1st), Anthony(2nd) draft picks.  Booger(1st) draft pick and big salary.  Simeon's big salary, the Ahanatu fiasco, Dunn  leaving, Simms drafted (3rd).  There were several issues in place or that had taken place when Allen got here that have had an equally negative impact to this team's problems.  
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BOSTON named starter for Bucs over Stovall « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools