Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2007 Draft Tampa Bay is on the clock. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Samari28

Hall of Famer
« #30 : November 06, 2006, 10:01:12 PM »

Ginn will be a BUST, Pit**CENSORED** does not fit this defense and no way Buster Davis and Brandon Merriweather fall that far so put the crack pipe down, plus to trade down you have to have someone to trade with - thought we talked about that this year.  Fact of the matter is no rookie will make a big difference next year and most free agents it will take them some time to learn the defense.  The best thing that can happen to us next year is that Brian Kelly comes back healthy, Buenning comes back healthy, we upgrade at LT and C and we add some young depth to the defense and figure out what safeties can play.  Galloway, Clayton, Stovall and Hillard are solid so we do not need a WR, TE is solid, RB is fairly solid - we need a blocking FB bad and we need an upgrade at QB as Gradkowski for all the good things he has done is not the answer - he needs to look at other WR's other than Galloway as Smith and Clayton were open several times but he would not pass it to them.

« #31 : November 06, 2006, 10:02:17 PM »

I could see us taking Joe Thomas, but I'd much rather trade down than take Calvin Johnson. I agree that Gruden won't draft a QB, but I could see the Bucs FO considering a trade for a vet that could compete to start.
if they're available, they're probably not worth it...and I'm talking about Plummer amongst others.

I was thinking of Carr, who I think could succeed in this system. Who knows if he is available, but if the Texans stink it up again this season, their FO might be willing to deal him to get a fresh start.
Not sure what they'd want for him so I won't say he'd be a bad deal, but something tells me a 2nd at least...

« #32 : November 07, 2006, 09:14:55 AM »

There's never a guarantee, but if you don't pick QB's that high because you're afraid of Ryan Leaf, you may miss out on Peyton Manning. 

Peyton Manning would do nada behind the Swiss Cheese O-line we have.

Then what chance does Bruce have?  None by that logic.

Not until the line pulls it's weight and Caddy gets rolling.

Yeah, but it's sort of a chicken and the egg deal...Caddy won't get going until we can pass.  I think the makings of a good O-line are there, but we need Buenning back.  That is frustrating.

nickerson56

Starter
« #33 : November 07, 2006, 03:22:01 AM »

Joe Thomas ... thats it on offense.  The majority of the picks should be on the defensive side.  Sure would be nice to get at least 1 capable safety in the defensive backfield.

S.A.N.T.A.N.A.

Starter

« #34 : November 07, 2006, 03:55:17 AM »

Gaine Adams...

or

Joe Thomas

or

CJ

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #35 : November 07, 2006, 07:59:01 AM »

I know there are people that love CJ but I would pick Gaines Adams over him.  People ripped the Texans for passing on Reggie Bush and taking Mario Williams.  So far it does not look like it was a bad decision afterall by the Texans.  Go take a gander and look at what Mario Williams had done at the halfway point. 

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler
« #36 : November 07, 2006, 09:39:43 AM »

Trade down maybe could get 2 lower first rounders. IMO the talent this year in not top heavy and there are no sure fire studs in the top of the draft.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #37 : November 07, 2006, 09:45:38 AM »

Trade down maybe could get 2 lower first rounders. IMO the talent this year in not top heavy and there are no sure fire studs in the top of the draft.

We say that every year and so do the fans of 32 other teams.  Unless we have a very high draft pick and someone is desperate to get at one of the top four players, there is little chance of trading

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #38 : November 07, 2006, 09:56:24 AM »

Mario>Bush and not just because Bush apparently sucks.

I think you go big man, Joe Thomas or Gaines Adams but the thing is where we are right now we won't get either of those guys.
http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html use that mock as your basis (again all mocks are equally bad so any of them make as much sense to use as a baseline as any other)  and look at the options.  Can a guy like alan Bracnh (6'6" 331) play in this scheme?

Shaun Rogers has shown that you can be a disruptive force in this scheme even at that size.  Another example is Wilfork who is a good fit for a one gap or two gap scheme.  Branch is a disruptive player and would make an impact for this team being a force in the middle.

Lets say Branch is gone before that point.  People say Pit**CENSORED** is not a good fit in this scheme either but he has I believe seven sacks (?) this year.  He may be a one year wonder or may be he may be something more. 

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #39 : November 07, 2006, 10:03:35 AM »

Can a guy like alan Branch (6'6" 331) play in this scheme?

I was actually wondering about this in another thread.  Branch is much bigger than our usual DTs, but compares very favorably to John Henderson who has been very successful in the Jax 4-3.  If we had a guy like Branch who could crush double teams we could get by with a little less talent at UT, IMO.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #40 : November 07, 2006, 10:10:21 AM »

Can a guy like alan Branch (6'6" 331) play in this scheme?

I was actually wondering about this in another thread.  Branch is much bigger than our usual DTs, but compares very favorably to John Henderson who has been very successful in the Jax 4-3.  If we had a guy like Branch who could crush double teams we could get by with a little less talent at UT, IMO.

Branch is so disruptive you could play him at undertackle becuase he can beat one on one matchups a lot of times.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #41 : November 07, 2006, 10:11:29 AM »

How did you come up with 9th? We are tied with everyone from 2nd to 9th. Only one team has a worse record.

When multiple teams finish with the same record, draft order is determined by strength of schedule.  GBNreport.com lists us as having the 8th pick as of today.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #42 : November 07, 2006, 02:11:42 PM »

no one has mentioned LeRon Landry, he is the best safety out there,

Probably because he isn't worth a top 7 pick.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

« #43 : November 07, 2006, 11:16:41 AM »

Ok, some of this is easy to predict right now even without knowing where we will draft.

1. We are not trading down. Wipe this out of your head right now. This does NOT happen that often. You need to find somebody willing to trade up and pay your price for that spot and many times that just doesn't happen. Teams have realized that they are better off staying put than trading up for the next big thing. It is a little conservative sometimes, but nobody even traded up for Reggie "Jesus on the Field" Bush. I think the teams who wanted him but didn't trade up are smiling now, and they will be smiling next year as we pick in whatever spot we are given and they do the same. Just forget about it. Any draft talk based on trading up or down is a waste.

2. Since we are NOT trading down, we'll stay put a grab whoever we need there. Joe Thomas from Wisconsin looks good and he might be available. AD looks good, and could probably play LG for us if we nab a better LT. I don't know if Buenning could play C, so he may be the odd man out or AD may be. It just all depends, but Thomas is a possible pick. Calvin Johnson is a guy that I like a lot. I think if we are in position we will probably take him. He can make an instant impact and Galloway is getting old. WR is definately a need. We need a UT but I don't like any of the 1st round UTs. A premier DE might be there such as Gaines Adams when we pick, and I think that would be a nice popular pick to help jumpstart this defense.

bluetick

Practice Squad

« #44 : November 07, 2006, 11:27:57 AM »

I would like to see the BUCs address Center, LB, and maybe CB in Free Agency. (E. Steinbach, C. June, & A. Samuel, IMO)  (The B. Kelly situation scares me)

Then with these areas, hopefully fixed  ???, go draft defense heavy on Day One, focusing on the DLINE & Safety. The only personal perference is to see them take a good look at a Above Average Starting LT, (Davis is an undrafted, average, LT) from a competive college (ex. Joe Thomas) The more I see, hear, & read about Thomas the more I like. The Middle to Left side WILL BE Tweaked this Offseason. Mark My Words!!!  ;)

Also, Offensive Draft Needs are BLOCKING FB  [banghead], WR/KR (NOTE: D. Hester in Chicago, X-Factor), &  QB (Fanning the Flames)
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2007 Draft Tampa Bay is on the clock. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools