Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who backs up Garcia? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Caveat Emperor

Pro Bowler

#45 : August 27, 2007, 08:40:26 PM

This was the same type of thing Raider fans were saying when they signed Gannon.

I'm certainly not dumb enough to make a bad signing and pray for the magic to happen again.

Gruden, apparently, is.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#46 : August 27, 2007, 08:44:43 PM

Luke McCown has had a very good camp and has played well in the preseason. At the same time, Bruce Gradkowski has played well and a case could be made that given his experience playing last year and the fact that he has engineered a couple of nice scoring drives that he should be the backup. At this point, I give a slight advantage to Bruce, but I think Gruden will want to see what they do in the final preseason game.

I have to say Gradkowski he loooks really good and I like McCown but Grads has outplayed him

Formerly known as Revis Islander

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#47 : August 27, 2007, 08:55:57 PM

It would be nice to have to good backups!!!

It would be nice to have a good starter but we have Jeff Garcia.

Oh man Rat faced boy doesn't even get the "good" tag? How many pro-bowls are required? Or is it just a "now" thing?

Who's taking bets on games before injury prevents starting the next game?

Its been a while since he played a full season and made a probowl. Good QBs don't bounce from team to team every summer for 4 years. He is an average QB that happens to fit the WCO well. Best case scenario is he has a good year and wins a few games for us.

Wow MJS that took me by surprise...TO was the one who got Garcia his job and you can't remember that? Please Garcia is the in the right place at the right time...OBD

revfish

Pro Bowler
#48 : August 27, 2007, 10:29:37 PM

Luke McCown is the back-up, without question.  Grads looked good the other night but he's still a second year player and a sixth round draft choice.  MCCown doesn't have a lot of experience, but I'll take his resume right now.

This battle, barring an eye-turning performance by Bruce on Thursday, is also over, IMO. 

benir0

Hall of Famer
#49 : August 28, 2007, 09:28:25 AM

Look, I know Gradkowski isn't great right now, but I find it odd that some are so quick to say that he unequivocally sucks.  Many QBs from bigger colleges, drafted higher, take longer to develop than The Spruce Bruce has had.

As a rookie QB, you need elements of an offense that you can rely on.  Not to say that Grads wasn't part of the problem last year (he certainly was, as you might expect from a rookie QB), but he had no running game, a piss-poor offensive line, receivers who, mostly couldn't get open and when he tried to make strides, people dropped the ball.

How is it that you can declare him a waste now?  He needs this year as a backup/3rd stringer and possibly next year before I start to form a firm opinion on him.

He might be crap, but we don't know right now.  The arm strength issue is just one attribute among many, and not an incredibly important one in our offense.  There are bad QBs with lots of arm strength, and good ones with very little.

buckit

Hall of Famer

#50 : August 28, 2007, 11:51:24 AM

It would be nice to have to good backups!!!

I disagree.  I think he's the QB he was on the 9'ers and the Eagles.  I think Detroit and Cleveland are QB killin teams (evidenced by the fact that NO QB has been able to have success in either ball club in years).  Garcia is a 3 time pro-bowler, but what really stands out is his TD to INT ratio.  He's a winner.
It would be nice to have a good starter but we have Jeff Garcia.

Oh man Rat faced boy doesn't even get the "good" tag? How many pro-bowls are required? Or is it just a "now" thing?

Who's taking bets on games before injury prevents starting the next game?

Its been a while since he played a full season and made a probowl. Good QBs don't bounce from team to team every summer for 4 years. He is an average QB that happens to fit the WCO well. Best case scenario is he has a good year and wins a few games for us.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

skip

Starter

#51 : August 28, 2007, 12:06:33 PM

If you can't throw the ball down the field how can you play in the NFL. I am sure Galloway does not want Grads under center.
I do like Grads mobility but he can't throw the ball with accuracy past twenty yards, defenses will stack the line of scrimage.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#52 : August 28, 2007, 03:30:44 PM

I would note there is a reason that Grads plays against the 3s and wannabees - and there is a reason McCown plays against the 1s and 2s - it is not a coincidence. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who backs up Garcia? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools