Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Very quiet for the second straight week after a game, interesting..... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#60 : August 27, 2007, 03:33:16 PM

this team deserves the negative heat because of the turd they laid last year. Just like in golf, the only thing that matters is the score on the scorecard, with this team the only thing that matters is 4-12. They have to show improvment before the negativity subsides

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#61 : August 27, 2007, 03:43:16 PM

I hope he was kidding.

Not really. This offense is designed so that the short passing game is roughly interchangeable with the run game. In fact, success in the short passing game can actually boost the success of the run game.

A QB who is highly efficient in the short passing game in this offense will most assuredly make the run game better. Comparing raw numbers, in the regular season (not counting playoffs or Super Bowl) the 2002 Bucs threw the ball MORE than the 2006 Bucs. The difference was, of course, efficiency (and the fact that very few people complained about throwing the ball too much in 2002).

With a more efficient QB, there is the possibility that the Bucs will throw more often this season than last.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#62 : August 27, 2007, 03:51:19 PM

The only way that he throws more is because the team is behind more. 

More passing by design with a young OLine is not a recipe for success because young guys can run block a whole lot better early in their careers than they can pass block. 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#63 : August 27, 2007, 04:00:31 PM

Gru's luv of his own genius and the pass will be his undoing.  Buddy better commit to the run or the team is screwed.

As far as who's a fan.... don't make me go look to see who was rooting for losses last year.  You know who you are. Bunch of posers. LAME!

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#64 : August 27, 2007, 04:14:21 PM

I hope he was kidding.

Not really. This offense is designed so that the short passing game is roughly interchangeable with the run game. In fact, success in the short passing game can actually boost the success of the run game.

A QB who is highly efficient in the short passing game in this offense will most assuredly make the run game better. Comparing raw numbers, in the regular season (not counting playoffs or Super Bowl) the 2002 Bucs threw the ball MORE than the 2006 Bucs. The difference was, of course, efficiency (and the fact that very few people complained about throwing the ball too much in 2002).

With a more efficient QB, there is the possibility that the Bucs will throw more often this season than last.

By virtue of incresed possession time, we should throw more. But drafting a RB and two road grader guards so high and adding a tackle from a noted running team like the Giants is not what I would call setting up for a passing attack as a primary approach. You'd think if that was the case, then Gruden would have drafted any of the plethora of high ranked WR's in the last two years instead. In addition, he'd be straying from his own stated goal in 2005 about establishing a running game..

(very last quote)

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/They+Said+It/2004/said010405.htm

Looks a little wishy-washy if a journeyman QB can all of a sudden be enough to alter the goals for the run game that Gruden apparently made clear with that quote, and the aforementioned draft strategy since then only strengthens that perspective. Hence, I don't think this will ever be a pass first offense by choice, only by necessity..

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#65 : August 27, 2007, 04:20:57 PM

RedAlert:

Don't get me wrong, based on everything I know, I have no doubt that Coach would LOVE to run the ball much more. I just don't know if he'll be able to do that this season (and I think that he's not sure about it, either). At least we have a much more capable QB now.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#66 : August 27, 2007, 04:38:32 PM

RedAlert:

Don't get me wrong, based on everything I know, I have no doubt that Coach would LOVE to run the ball much more. I just don't know if he'll be able to do that this season (and I think that he's not sure about it, either). At least we have a much more capable QB now.

Yea, Garcia does give us much needed dimensions at QB (i.e. mobility and experience), but I don't know that those traits alone can take the offense from the depths of hell to the pinnacle of success.

However, I do think that Garcia's abilities, combined with a strong running game, can provide a great dynamic to this attack. With one caveat, that being the running game has to be established by good run blocking, rather than relying on the pass to set it up. That way, if Garcia falters or gets hurt (knock on wood), the running game can still function on it's own merits and whoever the backup is won't have the entire weight of the world on his shoulders..

In a perfect world I guess..

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#67 : August 27, 2007, 05:06:48 PM

Why do people say ''aside from the 2005 campaign?'' That's the Trib-St. Pete Times propaganda angle. We're supposed to ignore a good year to support more bad ones.
2003 had injuries and bad luck. 2004 we were bad. 2005 we were good AND lucky. 2006 we were just plain awful, even with the injuries.
I'm not going to forget 2005 just because some people want to be MORE negative. It happened:
1. Caddy was an event for one month
2. We won one of the great road games in franchise history, in Carolina
3. We won one of the most exciting games in franchise history, home vs. Washington
4. We beat Atlanta twice, including a Christmas Eve game for the ages
We stunk it up last year and maybe by midseason all will agree that Gruden and Allen should go THIS year. But let's not ignore 2005. It ended in disappointing fashion, but it was a fun ride.

In Verner We Trust
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Very quiet for the second straight week after a game, interesting..... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools