Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFT.com has us @ #18 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

: August 26, 2007, 10:56:28 PM

PRESEASON POWER RANKINGS

NO. 18

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

We actually think the Bucs are going to be pretty good this year, even though we can't justify putting them any higher than No. 18 for now.

The franchise made some great moves in free agency, picking up guys like Jeff Garcia and Luke Petitgout and Cato June without having to cough up a lot of money. 

And the sense of urgency is there, since coach Jon Gruden knows that a poor showing will be the end of his time in Tampa.

The defense is still sufficiently adequate to get the job done; the challenge is to turn around an offense that was dreadful in 2006.  Running back Cadillac Williams had a significant drop in production, due in large part to the fact that there was no passing game to pull a safety away from the line of scrimmage.

Garcia will be asked to duplicate a strong performance in Philly from a season ago.  Given what Gruden did with Rich Gannon in Oakland, we fully expect Garcia to play well -- and to ignite an attack that averaged only 13 points per game a year ago. 

We wouldn't be surprised by a berth in the postseason.  At a minimum, we think that the Bucs will be better in 2007 than they were in 2006.

Key departures:  OT Kenyatta Walker, G Sean Mahan, DE Dewayne White.

Key arrivals:  QB Jeff Garcia, LT Luke Petitgout, LB Cato June, FB B.J. Askew, DE Kevin Carter, DE Patrick Chukwurah.

Draft pick most likely to make an impact:  S Sabby Piscitelli.

Coach's current job security:  Day to day.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#1 : August 27, 2007, 01:46:49 AM

They seem to share my level of optimism. Well, the homer inside me says we are going 16-0 but the normal, humble me is just thinking improvement from last year.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#2 : August 27, 2007, 02:46:55 AM

18 is improvement over last year(29) but for Gruden is it enough.  For me it is close but I don't write the checks.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 27, 2007, 03:15:43 AM

We all get to watch this one unfold or unravel.

I am optimistic and I think PFT may have gotten it right this time.

The most important FA's were Garcia, Petitgout, June and Carter. These vets consistently show up ready to go this pre-season. If those guys are blended with youth and coaching we could see some nice...improvement.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#4 : August 27, 2007, 03:45:13 AM

The way I see it at least 4 teams finish 8-8 so the difference between 14 and 18 is SOS, stats, and a coin flip, i.e 18=14.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#5 : August 27, 2007, 03:56:55 AM

Don't know JG - I have not seen enough consistency, and the duration of plays by the "starters" has only been enough to show flashes from all the upgrades this pre-season. I can't say for sure either way - All I have is a feeling and I don't rely on those that much.

Still cautiously optimistic. I can tell you I have not seen anything to indicate we're worse than 2006.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#6 : August 27, 2007, 04:37:16 AM

18th maybe talent wise.   But with Gruden, that could jack us up to number 1 or 2.   There's a chance we can win it all provided Gruden stays healthy.

MLBrandow

Rookie

#7 : August 27, 2007, 08:06:36 AM

18 is improvement over last year(29) but for Gruden is it enough.  For me it is close but I don't write the checks.

I'm sure Gruden won't rest until PFT ranks his football team #1.

Diehart fisherman

Starter

#8 : August 27, 2007, 08:36:29 AM

http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?topic=12373.0

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 27, 2007, 09:26:26 AM

I now believe that somebody else working with Rich Gannon, not Gruden, was responsible for Gannon's success. I think it's about time we give Gannon the credit for his success and stop assuming every QB that is a little older will be Gruden's next Gannon.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 27, 2007, 12:25:16 PM

18 is improvement over last year(29) but for Gruden is it enough. For me it is close but I don't write the checks.

I'm sure Gruden won't rest until PFT ranks his football team #1.

LOL Well played.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : August 27, 2007, 12:28:53 PM

Well, I still think Aaron Sears was our best pick, even though it appeared as if it was more of a want pick, rather than a need pick...

I wonder if Branch was still available if the Bucs would have taken him....

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 27, 2007, 12:31:33 PM

I now believe that somebody else working with Rich Gannon, not Gruden, was responsible for Gannon's success. I think it's about time we give Gannon the credit for his success and stop assuming every QB that is a little older will be Gruden's next Gannon.

Gannon sure was mediocre until Gruden got a hold of him.    I don't think that's coincidence.   Garcia is the first vet QB we've had here yet in Tampa with the type of skills needed to run Gruden's offense.   I wouldn't be suprised in the least if Garcia had the best year of his career and made the Pro Bowl this year.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#13 : August 27, 2007, 12:33:22 PM

Picking up journeyman players (Garcia/June/Pettigout) doesn't necessarily make the Bucs a playoff team.  We're going to be lucky to win 5 games this season, unfortunately. The 18th spot is pretty generous. I can't think of many teams weaker than we are.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#14 : August 27, 2007, 12:52:16 PM

Actually Rich Gannon was a pretty darn good QB in KC, heck he led them to that 13-3 mark in 97 and if Marty had played him against the Donks and not Grbac they would have won that playoff game and probably the superbowl that year. Gruden might have had something to do with it but Gannon was already darn good.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PFT.com has us @ #18 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools