Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: More Mike Alstott................. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #15 : November 07, 2006, 12:43:24 PM »

when was the last time he got the ball?

4 or 5 games ago??? if caddy had the amount of carries Alstott's had his numbers im sure wouldn't be as good

But yes even a hardcore Alstott fan such as I am upset he isn't trying more, just his blocking sucks and isn't opening up any holes or giving protection

« #16 : November 07, 2006, 12:45:28 PM »

yea but every time he has got the ball this year he gets plowed backwards. even in the open field. he can't even get in on the damn goal line when we are on the 1 yard line.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #17 : November 07, 2006, 12:53:28 PM »

I think that also contributes to the o-line not getting a push up front

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
« #18 : November 07, 2006, 12:56:06 PM »

Watched him Sunday.  We sit in the north end zone.

Saw him TRY to blockmore than once-it didn't work.

His blocking still stinks.

Why isn't Sowell playing?

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

« #19 : November 07, 2006, 12:56:42 PM »

yea if you say so. a good "full back" can usually plow through people when you are down on the 1 yard line. he gets stuffed back.
even when he catches the ball in the open backfield he gets stuffed even if he has just one guy on him. he has dropped numerous passes out of the backfield. i just can't see how you guys think by giving him the ball is the answer.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

« #20 : November 07, 2006, 12:58:02 PM »

How can you say Alstott is good, or not good anymore? He is simply not used, he is just on the team because they didn't want to cut a fan favorite and look bad. I think they look worse now because Caddy can't get the job done in the passing game or in short yardage. There is no reason Pittman should get more touches than Mike, or did you miss the kicker putting him down in the open field, lets see a kicker, or a BB for that matter take Alstott down 1 on 1 in the open field, its not going to happen.
Gruden has his favorites and they can do no wrong, Simms messes up he gets dogged on the sidelines, and scolded to the press. Grad's puts the ball down everytime he is touched, throws a 3 yard pass when we need 9 for a first and he gets "coached" on the sidelines.
Gruden wants Grad's and if yout hink Gruden knows more than every other HC and GM in the NFL, then maybe Grad's will pan out, but for some reason Gruden limits the 3 step drops that Grad's takes, and out game plan of heavy pass shows he is TRYING to set Grad's up as the hero, so the fan base will want his boy in there. Caddy is one dimensional, he is a poor blocker and can't make a hard catch to save his life. If the Genious that is Gruden would maybe try to spread the field then run the ball, its hard to stack the box with 8 or 9 if we have 3 WR's, and if they want 8 in the box with 3 WR's then we should easily find an open WR.
Grudens ego has a lot to do with what is wrong with the team, now you can be a Gruden hugger and discount that, but we have had more losing seasons with HIS guys in their than winning ones. Simms, not his guy = 11-5, Brad not his guy = SB..Griese his guy,=  mess, Grad's his guy =  top 5 draft pick next draft.
In fact other than Gannon what QB has Gruden coached that is HIS kind of QB that he has had succes with?
Rob Johnson was his kind of QB. Actually Griese is not really a Gruden QB, so the little success he had should not even count. Gruden likes a QB, that is seasoned, accurate, mobile, and has a good arm, and does not turn the ball over...Now tell me one team that does not want all that, and now tell me how many QB's ARE all those things?  Gruden is overated as a OC, and has been riding the defense from day one.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #21 : November 07, 2006, 01:01:18 PM »

last argument, I agree with you a fullback should get the first down or plow through it...

the passes that have come to him in the flats have been very very low to where it takes him time to bend over to pick up the ball

A dump pass to the flats ideally should be put in his hands or over the shoulder so that it is a continuous motion

« #22 : November 07, 2006, 01:07:51 PM »

exactly... i can agree on that... sorry my quote thingy doesn't work!

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #23 : November 07, 2006, 01:12:18 PM »

I dont know how to even get cool sigs or even quote dont feel bad

skip

Starter

« #24 : November 07, 2006, 01:21:40 PM »

Samari, I am dead serious comparing Alstott to Brandon Jacobs. You must not have been around when Dungy rotated Dunn and Alstott, Alstott has had several 100 yard rushing games, and is the leading scorer in Bucs franchise history. Along came Gruden who did not even know his name (Mark Alstott) and poof career over. I understand he is no spring chicken anymore but how do you know if he still has it or not if you don't try? Gruden has this idea of what his offense should be, and I for one am not impressed.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #25 : November 07, 2006, 01:25:33 PM »

Gruden has this idea of what his offense should be, and I for one am not impressed.

Yeah, Gruden thinks his fullback should block, and block well. Imagine that. The fact is, Pittman brings more to the table in that area (considerably more) so he gets more reps.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #26 : November 07, 2006, 01:30:03 PM »

pittman loves the gym,

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #27 : November 07, 2006, 02:20:20 PM »

sometimes half back

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #28 : November 07, 2006, 02:26:03 PM »

Alstott should retire next year.  I hope he does, and I will be very sad to see him go.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #29 : November 07, 2006, 03:43:12 PM »

DanTurks, Exactly my point, Alstott is a tailback, not a fullback. How many pro bowls did mike go to when he was used differently? How many pro bowls has Pittman gone too?

He's never considered himself a tailback, and he's never gone to the Pro Bowl as a tailback. If he was listed as a tailback he probably wouldn't have ever gone to a Pro Bowl. He's half one, half the other. And the half Gruden really needs, the big-time blocking half, just hasn't been there.

Again, I like Mike. But he needs to retire this offseason, or I think the Bucs may let him go despite the flack.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: More Mike Alstott................. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools