Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vick Finds Jesus « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

buckit

Hall of Famer

« #30 : August 28, 2007, 10:48:43 AM »

He has found Jesus because somebody convinced him bringing up Jesus can get him back
into the NFL in the future. He has found Jesus because it has the potential to help him.

Jesus can't help Vick. Only person who can help Vick is Vick.

Yep.  Vick knows he can play on the ignorant heartstrings of the hoplessly religious in this country.  Like any good sciopath, he knows justwhat to say to manipulte people.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #31 : August 28, 2007, 10:56:50 AM »

Yep.  Vick knows he can play on the ignorant heartstrings of the hoplessly religious in this country.  Like any good sciopath, he knows justwhat to say to manipulte people.

You hardly ever hear anyone pull that card in the UK because quite frankly NOBODY CARES. 

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #32 : August 28, 2007, 11:08:29 AM »

Okay, okay.  I went back and listened to the interview again and heard something I didn't catch the first time.  

"I turned my life over to God; I think that's the right thing to do, as of right now."  -Mike Vick

So as soon as this thing blows over, I'll go to some third world country where dog fighting is accepted and people can't pick on me?  And he is playing the race card as well.  Somewhere Johnny Cochran is smiling!!
By the way, why does he always refer to himself in third person?  The poor guy has some problems for sure.  Another example of why certain people just can't go from poor to rich without truly having to earn it.

bucnut

Hall of Famer
« #33 : August 28, 2007, 11:14:49 AM »

Speaking of himself in the third person constantly certainly sends up red flags for me.  He's just not right.

NFC South BBS  Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!

C2asante

Starter

« #34 : August 28, 2007, 11:38:07 AM »

I am Black and Christian and I am not offended by your question.  The only way people can grow to understand their differences is to ask questions and dialouge rather than make assumptions based on  sterotypes.  I do not think turning to God at moments when all hope appears lost is a uniquely Black thing.   No one would dispute that it would be great if people professed their belief in God when things are going great, but the fact that it often takes a problem too great for us to handle on our own to submit to God is nothing new, and nothing specific to any one race. 

As to the implication that Black people tend to be more willing to forgive, I would concur with that.   It is evident in contemporary race relations and has been historically true.   Perhaps that is the result of a greater adherance to Christian doctrine, perhaps it is the result of 400 years of slavery, who knows but it certainly appears that Blacks are willing to forgive their own, and to forgive others more readially than whites. 

Okay, I'm going to open a can of worms here. (It's fun open Pandora's box every once in a while).

Maybe I haven't been in the states long enough - or maybe I'm just racist (Which I don't like to believe). However, why is it that if some big shot African American get's in trouble all he has to do is say "I found Jesus" and all of a sudden the whole African American community rallies around him and make HIM out to be the victim of the evil white man?! At least that's how the media portrays it and it's kind of interesting.

Yesterday I happen to listen to ESPN's coverage (which they have online) and the host (I think he is Caucasian) was gushing about how contrite Vick sounded, how all these politicians could learn from his wonderful style etc.. Then one of his cohosts (African American) talks about how Vick comes from the racist south and that Dog Fighting is a southern thing and equates it with a side effect of slavery. All of a sudden it's becoming this racial story....

Michael Jackson all of a sudden finds Allah, becomes Muslim and now it's not his fault anymore for wanting to uhmnn.. get kids pants half off. I mean it just doesn't make sense to me...

Maybe I'm just to dumb to figure this out.... Vick killed DOGS because they didn't do what he wanted them to do (Make him money in dog fights) in a brutal way (On the other hand is there ever a non-brutal way?) get's caught, lies about it up to the last possible second. When he finally realizes that the gig is up because everyone else is flipping for the prosecution he suddenly finds Jesus and the black community rallies around him. Is the media portraying this wrong or are people REALLY this gullible?

This is NOT intended to be a racist thread. No black vs. white thing... It's just a question that has been bothering me for a while...

buckit

Hall of Famer

« #35 : August 28, 2007, 11:48:39 AM »

Speaking of himself in the third person constantly certainly sends up red flags for me. He's just not right.

As someone with 15 years of independant study, 36 credit hours and a certificate in applied psyche, I can assure you, this guy isn't right.  He's a sociopath.  Textbook case.

Dear Glazers,

Thank you,
--the fans

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #36 : August 28, 2007, 11:53:47 AM »

I am comforted to know that unlike us God does forgive.

Unlike us? Speak for yourself. Human beings forgive all the time.

Whoever told Vick to speak off the cuff (or memorize his speech) and not use notes is
brilliant. Maybe it was Vick but probably his lawyer or PR guy.

Yeah, some people seem to accept Vick's apology really quickly scholty. I think it's
just people being gullible.

buckit

Hall of Famer

« #37 : August 28, 2007, 11:55:27 AM »

I don't have to forgive anything.  He didn't affront me.  I just think he's a dirtbag.  Some people are just bad people.  Michael Vick is bad people.

Dear Glazers,

Thank you,
--the fans

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #38 : August 28, 2007, 12:05:30 PM »

Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Have you found Jesus yet, Gump?
Forrest Gump: I did not know I was supposed to be looking for him, sir.

C2asante

Starter

« #39 : August 28, 2007, 12:10:50 PM »

I completely agree with both of you^.

People do have the capacity to forgive, and we have the free will to choose not to forgive if we do not want to.  I also agree that Mike Vick is a bad person who displays sociopathic tendencies.  What he did to those dogs was a cruel act and the fact that he lied about his involvement is proof he understood it was wrong.  However with all that he has done, he can be forgiven.  Maybe not by some, but those who honestly aspire to follow the dictates of Jesus understand that we are called to forgive without conditions.  Our act of forgiving should in no way be confused with endorsing the crime or excusing the criminal's behavior but rather rather following God's law when he orders us to hate sin but love the sinner.

ABN

Starter
« #40 : August 28, 2007, 12:56:08 PM »

Thats par for the course for criminal defendants. Most bring their bible to court.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #41 : August 28, 2007, 12:59:41 PM »

Lieutenant Daniel Taylor: Have you found Jesus yet, Gump?
Forrest Gump: I did not know I was supposed to be looking for him, sir.

hehehehehe..  ;D  classic

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #42 : August 28, 2007, 01:40:54 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bsHe7aTSjwE&mode=related&search=

About the 5:40 he gets to the relevant part to this discussion.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

« #43 : August 28, 2007, 02:04:04 PM »

When he finally realizes that the gig is up because everyone else is flipping for the prosecution he suddenly finds Jesus and the black community rallies around him.

Finding Jesus has nothing to do with the black community rallying around him.... that would be done whether he "found Jesus" or not. Right or wrong, its about supporting your own. Frankly, I don't agree with it but thats the way it is. I hate that the issue of race has to be brought into this at all. Its about a man being stupid and breaking the law, PERIOD!!!!

As for the supporters yesterday, the majority of them came from a church that Vick built(of course, that won't be reported) and in the black community he's looked at as a hero. 

To elaborate a lil further, the sensitivilty to this dog issue differentiates based on culture or upbringing. For the most part, blacks and whites look at dogs differently. Whites look at dogs as a member of the family, living inside the home, riding around in the car, dressing them up in clothes, kissing them in the mouth. In most black communities, you won't find such a thing. Most dogs are kept in the back yard and in my 39 years, i don't think i've ever seen a black person riding with their dog in the car... its just different and thats why some are more angered by Vick's actions than others.

Personally, I grew up in "the hood" and as Barkley said, that can't be used as an excuse for ignorance. I'm amazed at Vick's stupidity in putting himself in this position. Other than that, i'm not affected. I think the only thing he's sorry for is getting caught. I hope it ruins the Falcons for a loooooong time.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #44 : August 28, 2007, 02:13:32 PM »

in the black community he's looked at as a hero. 

Similar to John Gotti.

In many Queens neighborhoods, Gotti was looked at as a hero. Didn't matter what he
did in his spare time. As long as it didn't affect the people who idolized him.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vick Finds Jesus « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools