Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Stupidity in the mainstream media « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Spartin

Practice Squad
: August 28, 2007, 02:07:48 PM

Adam Schein had this to say about Jon Gruden and Cadillac Williams:

Cadillac Williams — "The third-year running back is begging Jon Gruden for touches. Gruden just won't give them to him. Usually you wouldn't be alarmed by a four-carry day in Week 3 of the preseason from a starting running back. However, Gruden simply lost confidence in Cadillac last year. You start to wonder if Williams will ever truly be Gruden's guy and get his carries".

We all know that Gruden likes to keep his starters fresh and we dont get paid to figure out that in the preseason Cadillac is not going to get alot of carries.

BucfaninDC

Starter

#1 : August 28, 2007, 02:15:26 PM

It depends on what is perceived as 'touches'.  Granted it is only preseason, but it looks like Williams might get less handoffs this year as in the past.  They look to use that quick dumpoff to him in the flat as a 'run' play even though it's not statistically a running play.

I think Williams will have more receiving yards this year than usual. 

T

Hall of Famer

#2 : August 28, 2007, 02:29:33 PM

With as fickle as Gruden is with his preferences of players, it wouldn't surprise me if he gave a healthy Caddy less touches. Hopefully he realizes what any intelligent fan realizes, the Bucs offensive line sucked last year and the Bucs had no real threat of a throwing game last year that's why Caddy had very little to no success last year. But my fear of Gruden being unable to develop and help along young players will be true if he can't get Caddy more touches. I know it's the pre-season, but it will be intresting to see how Caddy is used this year.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 28, 2007, 02:35:02 PM

No RB's need pre season touches to succeed.  That is a short shelf life position, so wasting hits on meaningless games makes no sense at all. 

That being said, I do think that Gruden is losing confidence in Caddy, but that remains to be seen in the regular, not pre, season. 

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#4 : August 28, 2007, 02:35:26 PM

Can they run screens?  Honestly is the line quick enough to get out on screens?  I don't remember running screens all that much.  They ought to just hand the ball to the guy and let the oline settle in and pound some fools.

I haven't even figured that out yet, are they a finesse line or a power line? If it's power why all the talk about dump offs and screens in order to get Caddy the ball. .... seriously commit to the run already! Let's beat on some fools.

Shoot it's hopeless if he didn't pound on some fools with Alstott, a QB who couldn't pass, a poor oline, in a wind storm he's never going to do it.  lame I say, LAME!

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#5 : August 28, 2007, 02:40:33 PM

Oh good, another expert in coach and player relations.  So when was Adam Schein at practice and when did he speak with Caddy or Gruden.  Let me guess - he surmised from watching the games on NFL Network - he should call Stroud.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JC510

Practice Squad

#6 : August 28, 2007, 02:41:33 PM

Last year he only got 16 carries per game, 22nd in the NFL. I don't want to hear the excuse about losing or the run game not working. Cadillac has to be the heart of this team and you win or lose with the ball in his hands. I don't care if there's 8, 9, 10, 11 guys in the box. Give him the ball. There was 11 guys in the box against the Vikings in the 4th qtr and he made the safety miss and went 70+ yards.

In games we lose Cadillac should still get 20 carries and in games we win Cadillac should be getting around 25 carries.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#7 : August 28, 2007, 03:01:23 PM

Last year he only got 16 carries per game, 22nd in the NFL. I don't want to hear the excuse about losing or the run game not working. Cadillac has to be the heart of this team and you win or lose with the ball in his hands. I don't care if there's 8, 9, 10, 11 guys in the box. Give him the ball. There was 11 guys in the box against the Vikings in the 4th qtr and he made the safety miss and went 70+ yards.

In games we lose Cadillac should still get 20 carries and in games we win Cadillac should be getting around 25 carries.

I'll sign that petition!

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : August 28, 2007, 03:23:43 PM

I would like to see more running the ball - and I think we will.  Having agreed with the idea of more running the ball - the 8-11 men in the box is typical hyperbole that shouldn't be endorsed.  This year the buccs are starting with a qb - it will make a difference.  And perhaps an oline - that will make a difference as well - just sayin' Rowdie. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#9 : August 28, 2007, 03:36:56 PM

It's really not that hyperbolistic, (is that a word) 8 men in the box seems normal for the bucs these days. Plus it was used well to press the point, they simply need to run the ball more, no excuses. They must commit to the run.

The oline will be really well served running the ball more. It would have helped last year as well. The QB pretty much HAS to be an improvement and yes that should help the running game... if they choose to run it.

Bottom line the call is; Run the ball, No excuses!

I don't think anyone has a problem understand the use of hyperbole.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#10 : August 28, 2007, 03:39:38 PM

There has to be a viable threat to complete a ball otherwise you are waiting for a miracle.  Hyberbolistic - nope don't think so but I got the meaning LOL.  Would point out in the WCO the short passes are almost like runs - and getting the ball to Caddy in space would be sooooo nice.

JC510

Practice Squad

#11 : August 28, 2007, 03:39:53 PM

I don't think we're gonna see more running because...

A) there's really not a FB on this team. Askew is more a receiver than a blocker.
B) Gruden's post game press conference from the other night. The reporter asked him if he called alot of passes to get Garcia more reps, here was Gruden's response.

"No. We want to throw the ball. We're excited about... We want to throw it 50 times a night, really. We want to throw the football and we had some good plays, we had some missed opportunities, but that was the game plan tonight."

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#12 : August 28, 2007, 03:45:58 PM

You spend the 5th pick in the draft on a RB, and a 1 and 2 #2's of Olinemen who are clearly better at run blocking than pass blocking.  You have one WR who is worth anything and only a converted HB playing FB that can catch ball with any consistency. 

No, I highly doubt he wants to throw the ball 50 times and still keep his job. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : August 28, 2007, 04:02:08 PM

I would like to see more running the ball - and I think we will.  Having agreed with the idea of more running the ball - the 8-11 men in the box is typical hyperbole that shouldn't be endorsed.  This year the buccs are starting with a qb - it will make a difference.  And perhaps an oline - that will make a difference as well - just sayin' Rowdie. 

The 8 men up is a crock anyways. People act like PIT never sees 8 up. LT never sees 8 up .....or LJ. Emmitt and Barry never ran into 8 man fronts. Running into 7 man fronts is a luxury but if you are a running team you have to run when teams expect you to run, otherwise you are the Panthers.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#14 : August 28, 2007, 04:02:50 PM

A big question for me is if the line goes run action on these dump offs and screens and short passes to the RB.  I have no issue replacing some of the running with such plays, but if the oline is still aways in pass block mode then it doesn't help them as much.

Honestly, I'd rather Hear Garcia ramble on for half a minute calling the play only to make a simple turn and hand the ball off the caddy.

Shoot, I haven't passed judegment on caddy. It would be nice to know if he's really any good.

I'm to the point where I'd cheer if the O went three and out so long as all three were running plays.  If they're going to go three and out anyway (which was so oft the result) it's many times better to go three runs and out.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Stupidity in the mainstream media « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools