Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: College Football.....Where's the sport? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#15 : September 04, 2007, 10:10:40 AM

And a playoff between Florida and Texas helps the small school recruit how? I swear, people act like a playoff would change everything in college football. Schools can have as much money as they want, but until they can get their names out there and win and bring in decent recruiting classes, they probably aren't going to climb out of the cellar.

There;'s a big chunk o' change rolling around in playoffs. If everyone gets a piece of the pie it certainly does help the small schools.

First, they get name recognition just by being in the playoffs. That's how they "get their names out there".  Winning doesn't help all that much - see UNT which was a winner for a long stretch but there's no sustainability because they are basically boned by the bowl system.

Second, they get a recruiting boost by playing for the title. Think about it, instead of signing with Ole Miss to play in the God Forsaken Bowl maybe some of those kids tramp over to Troy for a shot to win the Sunbelt. There's no doubt that the ability to get "to" the Dance has helped mid majors in college basketball and it is a reason that is a lot more even.

Third, the increased jack might help them hold on to the good coaches. Better coaches = better play and better recruiting.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 03, 2007, 10:22:18 AM

This only happens b3cause the economics are CF are so screwed up thanks to the cartel of the BCS system. Teams from the non-BCS conference take these paycheck games to keep their programs afloat while the big time schools get a warm up game.  They are embarrassing and pathetic but needed for smaller schools.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

#17 : September 03, 2007, 10:40:07 AM

Again, I'll repeat it.  The only way these smaller schools have a chance of building their programs is to take these games against "big" programs.  USF is a prime examle of this, as well as Boise St.  You think after these teams beat an Oklahoma, a West Virginia, they won't get more recruits?  Think App. St. might get a few more visits after their win?  In a perfect world only BCS schools would play BCS schools, but even then what does that solve?  Someone would always get excluded. Have to give the little guys a shot occasionally. 

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 03, 2007, 11:00:25 AM

Again, I'll repeat it.  The only way these smaller schools have a chance of building their programs is to take these games against "big" programs.  USF is a prime examle of this, as well as Boise St. 

No, the only way they can build ans sustain is to eliminate the BCS, create a playoff and distribute the cash for it among all the conferences. This "only way" crap is a line big school fans and teams make since they don't want to deal with the real issue which is the huge difference in cash that ensures better facilities, better recruiting capability and the ability to buy the good coaches smaller schools find.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#19 : September 03, 2007, 12:41:03 PM

thats the American way dal.  and while most everyone wants a playoff, its not very feasible.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

#20 : September 03, 2007, 12:59:12 PM

Even with a playoff you'd have to have polls to rank who gets in.  And even still, you'd have these games scheduled. 

You could go with conference champs I suppose.  Problem is how is it fair to include say an ACC champ with 4 losses who plays an easier schedule than a team in the SEC or PAC 10 with 1 or 2 who didn't win its conference.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 03, 2007, 01:18:23 PM

You could go with conference champs I suppose.  Problem is how is it fair to include say an ACC champ with 4 losses who plays an easier schedule than a team in the SEC or PAC 10 with 1 or 2 who didn't win its conference.

Yes, same reason the NCAA Tourney and every other known sporting system works. Think about it, is there any other sport as bassackwards as CF is about the post-season?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 03, 2007, 01:19:10 PM

thats the American way dal.  and while most everyone wants a playoff, its not very feasible.

Sure it is, how does Div1AA manage that feat, how does DivII, DivIII and NAIA do it? It is very feasible but for the BCS conferences not very desirable.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#23 : September 03, 2007, 01:19:43 PM

They don't even have to use a playoff.  Elimiate some of the Division I-A teams.  There's WAAAAAY too many.  Then make Division I-A teams ONLY play Division I-A teams.  No more Michigan-App St or Bama-Western Carolina.  There's plenty of cupcake Division I-A teams.  Can't you at least stay in your own division????

T

Hall of Famer

#24 : September 03, 2007, 08:20:19 PM

They don't even have to use a playoff. Elimiate some of the Division I-A teams. There's WAAAAAY too many. Then make Division I-A teams ONLY play Division I-A teams. No more Michigan-App St or Bama-Western Carolina. There's plenty of cupcake Division I-A teams. Can't you at least stay in your own division????
Or better yet the NCAA should instutute a rule that BCS conference schools can only play 2 NON BCS schools every year, this would prevent teams from scheduling patsie schools.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#25 : September 04, 2007, 04:10:23 AM

Okay, now I understand - you equate these one-sided games as being the "preseason" for NCAA before the actual competition begins - I didn't know that.  I tried to watch the LSU - Miss game and it was total waste of time.  I wondered why they even played the game.  The top 50 teams should only play against each other all season long - that would be a better league. Padding up your win-loss record by beating Buffalo University is pathetic.   The only time college football is interesting is when top teams play each other.

If you tuned in to Louisville-Murray St for a nail-biter, I don't know what to tell you. There are usually a number of games that are out of reach by halftime in the NFL starring the usual suspects of Pats and Colts and whoever and some garbage team where they ease into halftime with a 28-7 lead with their foot barely on the gas and stroll through the 2nd half. It's just harder to keep it that competitive when you have 117 or so schools to schedule 12 or so games. You can't just section off X number of big guys to play each other, because that doesn't allow anyone to move up or down much. These types of games aren't pleasing most of the time, but are a necessity to college football.

Come back in October, November, and December when there are upsets, great match-ups, and "Instant Classics" over and over again through Saturday nights with students rushing the field and atmospheres being AMAZING, while the Titans finally turn the corner on Indy under Vince Young and.....*crickets*....

No, the only way they can build ans sustain is to eliminate the BCS, create a playoff and distribute the cash for it among all the conferences. This "only way" crap is a line big school fans and teams make since they don't want to deal with the real issue which is the huge difference in cash that ensures better facilities, better recruiting capability and the ability to buy the good coaches smaller schools find.

And a playoff between Florida and Texas helps the small school recruit how? I swear, people act like a playoff would change everything in college football. Schools can have as much money as they want, but until they can get their names out there and win and bring in decent recruiting classes, they probably aren't going to climb out of the cellar. When App St plays Michigan, they see bigger money than they would if they played Akron or someone. It helps them as well, win or lose. But you think money is going to change all that? You think a good, reputable coach from a top school would take a job at D-1AA for the cash? No way, Jose. Best case scenario for smaller schools is like previously mentioned Boise or more recently Utah(though not really a small school, but far from a big football school) getting a coach who can win consistently and use a good scheme to hide that his players aren't as talented as the next, bigger, school's are. Until he gets offered a better job. Fresno St has done a nice job of doing this and maintaining under Pat Hill, though not really taking the next step.

Really, the ONLY way for a team to even the playing field is to win. When kids see you can hold your own with the big guys and actually compete instead of being 0-7 vs. top 25 teams, they'll start considering that school more. But there's a good reason talented, intelligent players don't go to Duke with it's money, facilities, and even if they did have a good coach. Because they'll lose. People are talking about Ron Zook(yes, that same coach) turning Illinois back to respectable in a few seasons only because he can recruit very, very well. You win consistently and bring in good recruiting classes, or in Zook's case skip to point B, and those are your choices. A playoff helps no small school there unless they're ready to compete with the big boys RIGHT NOW, and chances are they aren't.....

#26 : September 04, 2007, 09:40:07 AM

Kinf of funny DBT, because you just used my point to make your argument.

I said App. St. used a similar offense as USC, OSU, and had some speed and used it to exploit Michigan.  You couldn't seem to grasp that I didn't say App. St. Offense was as good as those teams, just that they played a similar style and schemed against Michigan after seeing they couldn't handle the offense.  Now to make your point you say small schools have to use scheme to compete.  LOL.  Thanks for the laugh.  I guess you just wanted to argue just to argue.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 04, 2007, 09:44:36 AM

This only happens b3cause the economics are CF are so screwed up thanks to the cartel of the BCS system. Teams from the non-BCS conference take these paycheck games to keep their programs afloat while the big time schools get a warm up game. They are embarrassing and pathetic but needed for smaller schools.

CF economics aren't "screwed up" because of the BCS. The big schools became big because they have been playing football for over 100 years, have student enrollments of 35,000+ and have huge alumni bases that give a lot of money. Schools don't build fancy practice facilities and weight rooms with BCS money. It's from boosters. That is what separates the haves from the have-nots.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#28 : September 04, 2007, 10:12:26 AM

CF economics aren't "screwed up" because of the BCS. The big schools became big because they have been playing football for over 100 years, have student enrollments of 35,000+ and have huge alumni bases that give a lot of money. Schools don't build fancy practice facilities and weight rooms with BCS money. It's from boosters. That is what separates the haves from the have-nots.

You don't think those $10m-15m bowl payouts help the big schools instead of the $500k payout in the Motor City Bowl? Ponder why they fought tooth and nail to not open up and share? Boosters don't care in the non-BCS schools because there is no reason to care. Why am I gonna lay out long green to see my school play in the Mobile Bowl or the Fort Worth Bowl?

Snook

Hall of Famer
#29 : September 04, 2007, 11:05:01 AM

Or better yet the NCAA should instutute a rule that BCS conference schools can only play 2 NON BCS schools every year, this would prevent teams from scheduling patsie schools.

Or even better.... Teams in BCS conferences can only play other teams in BCS conferences. 

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: College Football.....Where's the sport? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools