Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking: Big Ten/ Michigan proving OVERRATED once again... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #15 : September 02, 2007, 07:40:06 PM »

Love it. Lloyd Carr's gone at season's end. Guarantee it.
I say he doesn't last past the Ohio State game

They're already calling him unemp - Lloyd....

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Snook

Hall of Famer

« #16 : September 02, 2007, 08:47:03 PM »

What's even more pathetic is that Michigan will STILL be ranked in the Top 25 in the next polls.

I really hope not, but those polls are such a joke -- along with the people that vote in them.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #17 : September 02, 2007, 10:41:01 PM »

Once again, we agree, at least on the premise that the polls are a joke.

But I don't think they'll be ranked again for a while - they embarrassed a lot of voters. Michigan would have to go on a tear. And it's not going to happen.

Michigan used to be the class of the Big Ten, now they have embarrassed the entire Big Ten.

Lloyd Carr has done for them what John Cooper did for Ohio State. He's stayed a little too long.

Snook

Hall of Famer

« #18 : September 03, 2007, 12:02:07 AM »

I think that Michigan will still be ranked.  I could be wrong but the AP voters are pretty stupid.  I think they'll be in the 20 to 25 range.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

« #19 : September 03, 2007, 12:14:28 AM »

I make perfect sense.  Michigan was OVERRATED last year, and are again this year.  Their defense was vastly OVERRATED last year, and they were torched by the only good offensive teams that they played.

What part of that is hard for you to comprehend?

Way to back up your argument, by REPEATING YOURSELF! Top notch posting, just top notch.

OSU and USC had probably two of the top 3 offenses in the nation last season and led those teams to two of the top 3 teams at the end of last season, Appalacian St doesn't come close to comparing to their offensive talent and speed and beat quite a different Michigan defense, so.....

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #20 : September 03, 2007, 10:19:41 AM »

I think that Michigan will still be ranked.  I could be wrong but the AP voters are pretty stupid.  I think they'll be in the 20 to 25 range.

Of course they will because the logic of the polls says they drop 10 spots or some silliness like that. The polls have an internal reality. Simple fact is that UM shouldn't be in the top 60 teams since they lost to a 1AA program and about 60 teams won this weekend any of those outcomes being better than what UM has proven this year.

Frankly for me, CAL should be the #1 team since, I think, they beat the highest ranked team in the nation so, thus far, they have proven to be the best team in the land - other than App State who can't be voted for.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

« #21 : September 03, 2007, 10:28:01 AM »

Everyone else but you seemed to understand it quite easily.  Something tells me you are the problem, not my post.  Go back and read it again, maybe you'll understand it better this time.

Here's a hint: Start with the part where I said "App. St. runs a SIMILAR style offense to OSU...."  

I'll help you out...

Michigan had problems with teams with speed who spread the field last year, see OSU and USC.  They didn't lose those starters last year did they? As for OSU's "top offense" didn't UF shut them down fairly easily?  These Big 10 teams are overrated, take it to the bank son.  They can't handle teams with speed, and offenses that spread the field.  You can discount App. St. all you want, but they earned that W.  They saw a weakness in Michigan and exploited it.  You can say what you will about them, but I saw supreme speed and brilliant use of it against Michigan.  App. St. will never be confused with good defense, but their offense could score on a lot of teams, especially ones that struggle against speed and spread offense.

« #22 : September 03, 2007, 10:33:55 AM »

Dalbuc:  The problem with what you say is you are basing Cal being #1 on them beating the best team.  Well who says UT is better than any of those teams?  By your previous reasoning you say Michigan should not be ranked for losing than why not UT?  What have they proven?  They could have another 5-6 season like 2 years ago and then what?  How good does that win look then?  Cal beta the "best team" based on a pre-season poll which already looks to be a joke when its #5 team loses to a D2 team.  I'm not sure I put stake in it that Cal beating the 5th best SEC team at home makes them #1.

I think Polls should not come out until 6 games or so are played.  At least then you might have some idea of who is good/bad.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #23 : September 03, 2007, 11:02:01 AM »

I think Polls should not come out until 6 games or so are played.  At least then you might have some idea of who is good/bad.

Oh I agree, you are right UT is one of the 60 worst teams right now as well so who knows who is any good. Thing is at least, even using the awful logic of pre-season polls, moving CAL up makes some sense in that way.

The polls are awful and, if CF wasn't rock dumb and greedy to a handful of conferences, had a playoff system no one would even need these polls.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

« #24 : September 03, 2007, 11:51:43 PM »

USC - you cannot be one who is casting aspersions on another conference - sitting firmly in the PAC-10!?

The Big Ten is no more over rated than the Pac-10.

And for all you Gator fans laughing at the Buckeyes - you of ALL people should remember National Championship embarrassments - I remember the Gators getting WAXED in the '96 Fiesta Bowl losing to Nebraska 62 - 24...but I guess no one remembers that happening right?

The SEC proved to be toughest conference last year - it's a whole new season this year. While I saw the dominance due to the level of competition in the SEC - the lesson is that Appalachin State shows what can happen on any given saturday.

Snook

Hall of Famer

« #25 : September 03, 2007, 11:59:09 PM »

USC - you cannot be one who is casting aspersions on another conference - sitting firmly in the PAC-10!?

The Big Ten is no more over rated than the Pac-10.

And for all you Gator fans laughing at the Buckeyes - you of ALL people should remember National Championship embarrassments - I remember the Gators getting WAXED in the '96 Fiesta Bowl losing to Nebraska 62 - 24...but I guess no one remembers that happening right?

The SEC proved to be toughest conference last year - it's a whole new season this year. While I saw the dominance due to the level of competition in the SEC - the lesson is that Appalachin State shows what can happen on any given saturday.

The PAC-10 is the most overrated conference in the nation.  HANDS DOWN.  USC.  Cal.  That's it.  Its ACC West.

And I think the SEC will come down to earth this season.  Auburn looks average.  Tennessee looks average.  We'll see how the season plays out...

BB:  The "who's the best conference" answer is different EVERY year.  Good post.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

« #26 : September 04, 2007, 03:40:42 AM »

Everyone else but you seemed to understand it quite easily.  Something tells me you are the problem, not my post.  Go back and read it again, maybe you'll understand it better this time.

Hey genius, I understand your point, I just strongly disagree with it.....

Here's a hint: Start with the part where I said "App. St. runs a SIMILAR style offense to OSU...." 

I'll help you out...

Michigan had problems with teams with speed who spread the field last year, see OSU and USC.

App St has speed like OSU and USC? Wow, there's going out on a limb.

They didn't lose those starters last year did they?

Again Einstein, you're comparing the best offenses of last season to App St, and not backing it up very well, or much at all.....You're just repeating yourself really.

As for OSU's "top offense" didn't UF shut them down fairly easily?

Yeah, the National Champion defense did shut them down, and after they lost their biggest playmaker. Not taking away from them at all, but those are the circumstances plain and simple(best team in ALL of college football, and Ginn for 1 play). Awesome sample size though. They handled Texas' D pretty well that year....

These Big 10 teams are overrated, take it to the bank son.

Oh, and I'm a Miami fan. I don't care for the Big Ten. I'm not a fan of Michigan, and of course I LOATHE OSU. I prefer SEC football, particularly the West.

Why always with the statements and nothing else though? Back something up. Please, try it. I'm calling you out. Back something up, or shut the hell up. Bottom line.

They can't handle teams with speed, and offenses that spread the field.  You can discount App. St. all you want, but they earned that W.

Jesus H Christ, I never took away from Appalachian St. They won the game, I never contested that or that they played better. They clearly did. I only questioned the Michigan D which gave up more points to THEM than they did to SC while fielding a much different defense. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, they aren't as good as they were last year. And in all this "Big Ten is overrated, Michigan is overrated" talk, you've never even addressed my point, which was that. Do you think the Michigan D is as good as they were last year?

They saw a weakness in Michigan and exploited it.  You can say what you will about them, but I saw supreme speed and brilliant use of it against Michigan.  App. St. will never be confused with good defense, but their offense could score on a lot of teams, especially ones that struggle against speed and spread offense.

Again, you're acting like I'm here to crap all over Appalachian St. I'm not. I'm just not going to compare them to arguably the two best offenses of last season, and act like Michigan's defense is the same when it clearly isn't.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #27 : September 04, 2007, 08:12:47 AM »

Serves that whiney b1tch Lloyd Carr right.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

« #28 : September 04, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »

DBT:  I'm done with you, as you obviously don't get it.  Not worth wasting another second trying to get you to understand english.

Next....

ACC west Snook?  That's kind of funny.  The ACC has zero dominant teams. We have at least 2.  You have to get to our number 3 before you get to the ACC best talent level.  ACC has zero chance of winning a NC.  We have 2 teams capable.  Our 3-5 teams are just as good as the best in the ACC.  You have nobody who can compete on USC or Cal level.  ACC is a bunch of mediocre teams that sometimes make each other look good because none are dominant.

As for SEC, I agree they probably aren't  as strong as last year. But I still rate them 1, because even if Auburn and Tenn. aren't  as good, they still have LSU, UF, UGA and what looks to be an improved AL.  They have far more good teams than any conference.  That is what PAC 10 is now striving for.  Getting the Oregon's, the UCLA's on that next level, that national level more consistently.  You say USC and Cal and then who....well I say....who? in the ACC?  Who scares teams?  Nobody.  Who in the Big 10 right now scares someone?  OSU?  LOL. MICH?  LOL.  Wisconsin?  LOL.  PSU?  LOL.

I'd put USC, CAL, LSU, UF, UGA, above any other teams in the country right now.  The best from the ACC, Big 10 right now are even with the second tier teams from SEC, PAC10.  The Big East teams its hard to tell, we'll find out a little bit when USF plays AU. I'm still skeptical about them but as the season progresses we'll get a better idea.

USC RULES

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #29 : September 04, 2007, 09:58:56 AM »

ACC west Snook? That's kind of funny. The ACC has zero dominant teams. We have at least 2. You have to get to our number 3 before you get to the ACC best talent level. ACC has zero chance of winning a NC. We have 2 teams capable. Our 3-5 teams are just as good as the best in the ACC. You have nobody who can compete on USC or Cal level. ACC is a bunch of mediocre teams that sometimes make each other look good because none are dominant.
Easy on calling Cal a "dominant" program. Their best season under Tedford was 10-2 in 2004 in which they lost to the only two good teams they played (USC and Texas Tech). I'm sure you don't want to get into their record pre-Tedofrd. They just don't have the type of pro talent USC and half the SEC does. Maybe they will one day but for now they are above average, which is still better than what the ACC can claim.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking: Big Ten/ Michigan proving OVERRATED once again... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools