Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking: Big Ten/ Michigan proving OVERRATED once again... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

#30 : September 04, 2007, 10:15:20 AM

Well Cal has recently been better and this year they are pretty damn good.  They did beat UT pretty bad so I'm not sure how half the SEC is better, unless you are saying 6 teams in SEC are better than UT.......

Anyway, point is USC, Cal would easily win ACC and Oregon could have a real shot.  ACC is not as good as PAC 10, and PAC10 is not up there with SEC.  I can admit that no problem.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#31 : September 04, 2007, 10:29:05 AM

Well Cal has recently been better and this year they are pretty damn good. They did beat UT pretty bad so I'm not sure how half the SEC is better, unless you are saying 6 teams in SEC are better than UT.......

Anyway, point is USC, Cal would easily win ACC and Oregon could have a real shot. ACC is not as good as PAC 10, and PAC10 is not up there with SEC. I can admit that no problem.
They still nearly gave up nearly 400 yards of offense to Tennessee at home. The Vols' offense matched Cal's offense point for point. Props on the win, but to me there are areas of concern. And my "half the SEC" was regarding pro talent, not overall team proficiency. Let's let the season play out. UT may only be the 7th best team in the SEC when it is all done. Regarding Oregon, they didn't even make a bowl in 2004. The Pac-10 is still a one team conference.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#32 : September 04, 2007, 10:37:50 AM

The PAC-10 has ONE team.  Cal got BLOWN out last year by the SEC's 4th or 5th best team.  Sure, they won this year but like FRG said, they still gave up 400 yards of offense.

Calling Cal a "dominant" program is laughable at best.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#33 : September 04, 2007, 11:03:35 AM

The PAC-10's second best team (Cal) is 43-20 the last 5 years.  With appearances in the Holiday, Las Vegas and Insight.com Bowls.

For some perspective, FSU is 43-22 the last 5 years. 

Neither is "dominant."

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#34 : September 04, 2007, 11:13:24 AM

So what you're saying is that FSU while enduring their worst period of the Bowden era is still as good as the 2nd best team in the PAC 10.  Now that is dominance. ::)

Snook

Hall of Famer
#35 : September 04, 2007, 11:19:50 AM

Last 5 years:
Oregon State - 38-25
Oregon - 37-25
UCLA - 37-26

#36 : September 04, 2007, 12:19:18 PM

ALl that matters is THIS year.  THIS year the PAC 10 will be the 2nd best conference. 

THIS year Cal and USC would easily win the ACC, and Oregon would have a real shot.  THIS year the ACC blows.  The ACC has zero teams that scare anyone.  I don't care what FSU did in the 90's, it means squat now. I don't care what Cal, FSU, or anyone did the last 5. 10, or 15 years.  Right now Cal is better than anyone in the ACC.  Oregon is right there with the best of ACC.  USC is a cut above them all.  If you took the best 2-3 teams from ACC and put in PAC 10 or SEC they would be middle to lower tier.  Take same from BIG 11 and they would be middle to lower tier.  Fact is nobody from BIG 11 or ACC scares anyone.  PAC 10 has 2 teams that right now can play with anyone and another who is just as good as the best from those conferences.  You can bring up past crap all you want, but right now the talent in PAC 10 is greater than Big11 or ACC.

I never said Cal was a dominat program just that THIS year they have a dominant team, a team that could beat ANY team in ACC or Big11. Big 11 and ACC have no dominant teams, PAC10 has 2.  That is what I said so get it right. 

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#37 : September 04, 2007, 12:33:12 PM

You cannot make the casse that a conference is a bad conference due to the performance of one year. Every conference goes through cycles of dominance. The SEC is in one now because they each play competitive schedules. I agree that the PAC-10 was trying to improve their competition - perhaps that's why Washington and Washington St are playing the Big-10 THIS year?

The current schedules were put together years ago....

Some minor adjustments will be made so that the Big Ten will be competitive. OSU is in a re-building year as a lot of our players left for the Sars like: Ginn, Antonio Pittman, Anthony Gonzalez, Heisman winner Troy Smith and six starters on the defense. I trust Tress and it will take great coaching to get back to a BCS bowlgame.

If we're talking about one year - and who is going to be good for that year - perhaps you're right.

Just don't draw a spurios conclusion - and if you're from Rio Linda that means concluding something from silly data - The Big Ten will be very competitive as it has been in the past. Fans and ALumni from Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State demand just as much excellence and are just as influential as those at USC, Florida, LSU and Tennessee.

Your ranking the PAC-10 alongside the SEC is silly. Not enough data outside preseason predictions for USC and 1 game by Cal to make that conclusion.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

Snook

Hall of Famer
#38 : September 04, 2007, 01:00:53 PM

THIS year has just started.  Its WAAAAY too early to call the PAC-10 the #2 conference.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#39 : September 04, 2007, 01:29:52 PM

Same conclusion Snook, and fewer words...

you win!

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#40 : September 04, 2007, 03:08:31 PM

DBT:  I'm done with you, as you obviously don't get it.  Not worth wasting another second trying to get you to understand english.

I figured you were just another blow-hard with statements and jabs and nothing else, be on your way....

#41 : September 05, 2007, 07:44:50 AM

No, just a guy who refuses to explain things to you 8 times for you to get it.

Especially when in another thread you use what I said to make your point.  It proves to me you know what I was saying and even agree.....you just wanted to argue.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#42 : September 05, 2007, 08:05:22 AM

I'll also say Texas and Oklahoma in the Big XII is better 1-2 punch than USC and Cal in the Pac-10. And I'll take Nebraska and Texas Tech as tier 2 over UCLA and Oregon.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#43 : September 05, 2007, 10:40:22 AM

I'd have to bump that FRG - nice analysis!

#44 : September 05, 2007, 12:51:36 PM

Yeah, Texas going down to the wire with that power Arkansas State....they look real tough.

Nebraska has been a perennial underachiever.  They haven't been good for a long time, pretty much since Osborne.  If they play USC tough, ok, maybe.  Oklahoma lets see how they look against Miami, who I don't think is great either.  OK did lose to Oregon, no matter how last year.  They also lost to Boise St.  I'll take USC and Cal right now over Texas and OK.  All day long and again on Saturday....

If you match up USC and Texas, USC will win.  Cal and Oklahoma, Cal wins.  Oregon and Nebraska, tossup.  UCLA and TT, I take UCLA all day.

At worst Pac10 would go 3-1 in those games with a good chance to win them all.  Big 10 same story. 

Only conference I would be concerned with our top 4 is the SEC.  Top 6 hands down is SEC against any conference.  SEC has 6 teams that can beat anyone any given day.  No other conference boasts that. 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking: Big Ten/ Michigan proving OVERRATED once again... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools