Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking: Big Ten/ Michigan proving OVERRATED once again... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Snook

Hall of Famer
#45 : September 05, 2007, 01:25:38 PM

If you match up USC and Texas, USC will win.  Cal and Oklahoma, Cal wins.  Oregon and Nebraska, tossup.  UCLA and TT, I take UCLA all day.

At worst Pac10 would go 3-1 in those games with a good chance to win them all.  Big 10 same story. 

USC over Texas, huh?  Just like that Rose Bowl, right?  USC is slated to win all of their games this year and be all-world again.  Its a wonder the PAC-10 even makes the Trojans show up and actually play the games.

And we'll see how tough the PAC-10 is this weekend when Oregon travels to Ann Arbor.  Although the Ducks were flat in 2006, they still managed to finish 2nd in the PAC-10 in 2005.  This matchup should tell us a lot about both teams.

As far as your predictions go, its pretty hard to judge conferences in September.  Especially saying UCLA would beat Texas Tech. Did you play that on X-Box or something?  UCLA couldn't handle Florida State's offense last year.  I wouldn't be so quick to give the nod to the Bruins over TT.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#46 : September 05, 2007, 01:57:38 PM

Yeah, Texas going down to the wire with that power Arkansas State....they look real tough.
Texas' record the last 5 years: 55-9 with a national championship.

Nebraska has been a perennial underachiever. They haven't been good for a long time, pretty much since Osborne. If they play USC tough, ok, maybe. Oklahoma lets see how they look against Miami, who I don't think is great either. OK did lose to Oregon, no matter how last year. They also lost to Boise St. I'll take USC and Cal right now over Texas and OK. All day long and again on Saturday....
Nebraska has 3 national championships in the last 15 years. They're re-building now, but I'll take their upside over perennially mediocre teams like Oregon and UCLA anyday.

Oklahoma is 55-12 in the last 5 years with a national championship game appearance in addition to a national championship victory in 2000. However you slice it the Pac-10's #2 can't come close to 1.B. between Texas and OU.

If you match up USC and Texas, USC will win. Cal and Oklahoma, Cal wins. Oregon and Nebraska, tossup. UCLA and TT, I take UCLA all day.

At worst Pac10 would go 3-1 in those games with a good chance to win them all. Big 10 same story.

Only conference I would be concerned with our top 4 is the SEC. Top 6 hands down is SEC against any conference. SEC has 6 teams that can beat anyone any given day. No other conference boasts that.
Don't forget Texas Tech SMOKED Tedford's best Cal team ever in the 2004 Holiday Bowl.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#47 : September 05, 2007, 02:20:37 PM

Nice post, FRG.  TT rang up 597 yards that day.  Against the Pac-10's 2nd best team... who, by the way, haven't played in a New Year's Day bowl since 1992. 

Last 5 years:
Cal - 43-20
Oregon State - 38-25
Oregon - 37-25
UCLA - 37-26

#48 : September 05, 2007, 03:22:06 PM

You guys seem to be confusing past results with future success.

If it were based on results of the past 15-20 years FSU might be #1.

Please, what does the miracle VY game over USC have to do with this years team?

What does a 3 year old bowl win TT had over Cal have to do with now?

LOL, ND was good many years ago, I guess they should be #1!

However you slice it what happened last year, year before, or in Nebraskas case 15 years ago means squat now.  On paper the matchups I listed hold true. Granted paper doesn't win games, but my logic based on talent on paper is just as good or better as your "past years teams show......" logic.

Most of the players from years you mentioned are no longer on the teams mentioned.  VY is definitlely gone. MCCoy has yet to show he can win the big game.  I'm sorry but if you ask me RIGHT NOW who was more impressive...Cal beating UT by 14 or Texas beating Arkansas St. in a game down to the wire by 8, it's hands down Cal. If you say Texas your on crack. 

So tell me, what has Texas shown to say they are better than USC, Cal, or even Oregon? 

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#49 : September 05, 2007, 03:31:05 PM

No, just a guy who refuses to explain things to you 8 times for you to get it.

Especially when in another thread you use what I said to make your point.  It proves to me you know what I was saying and even agree.....you just wanted to argue.

Wait, wait, this is good. I refuted your statement about that in the other thread, you didn't responded to it at all, and now make the same statement again. Yet another fine example of you talking out of your ass, which is all you seem to do here. Lovely.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#50 : September 05, 2007, 03:34:13 PM

The past 5 years is a good gauge of how good programs are. 

What are you basing Cal being better than Texas and OU on?  FUTURE possibilities?  Games that haven't happened yet?

Fact is, no one mentioned Notre Dame or FSU in this discussion as "dominant" programs.  You, on the other hand, said Cal was.  Not us.  We've only disputed that.  And done so successfully. 

What has Cal DONE -- not "might do" -- recently (last 3-5 years) to merit them a "dominant" program?

Saying they're better than Texas and OU is just plain ridiculous.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#51 : September 05, 2007, 03:36:23 PM

I'm sorry but if you ask me RIGHT NOW who was more impressive...Cal beating UT by 14 or Texas beating Arkansas St. in a game down to the wire by 8, it's hands down Cal. If you say Texas your on crack. 

Well, that's why the season is TWELVE games, not just ONE.  Its hard to say how impressive Cal's win over UT is RIGHT NOW.  Tennessee could finish 3rd or 4th in its own DIVISION.  If that happens, Cal's win over UT doesn't mean SQUAT.

#52 : September 05, 2007, 04:15:06 PM

Excuse me Snook, I never said Cal was a dominant program.  Go back and read it, I guess you are trying to refute an argument I never made. I said they have a dominant team right now.  Big difference. I said ACC/BIG11 have no dominant teams right now and PAC10 has 2. Nothing has happened suggesting different....on field or on paper.  As for Texas, They look better than Texas so far in both.  Even if Tenn. finishes 3rd or 4th that win is still far more impressive than a squeeker over Arkansas St.  What exactly are you basing Texas being so much better on?  At least Cal has beaten a ranked team, and on paper they are at worst very close talent wise. So please, enlighten me, why is Texas better! Why are you right and I am wrong?  What gives you proof?  Because of what Texas did in the past with a diffeent team?  LMAO!

Past 5 years means jack now, no matter what you say.  Last year means jack. All you can do now is look at the current teams makeup and what they did week 1.  And if you do that I don't see how anyone with knowledge of Football can claim Texas a better team than Cal.  Please tell me how...

DBT - all you do is call names.  You never bring an argument or a point, and never counter with anything productive.  You then use my statement on scheme to make up for talent gap to prove a different point.  Classic.  And you say I am talking out my butt?  Thanks for the personal insult...further proving my point. 

Snook

Hall of Famer
#53 : September 05, 2007, 04:27:34 PM

So its accurate to judge "teams" by ONE game?

As for "rankings"... those are meaningless.  And its VERY ironic that you say "last year means jack" but then give credit to Cal for beating a "ranked" team.  Afterall, those "rankings" are based on a this years expectations which in turn are based on LAST YEAR'S RESULTS. 

I don't care that Cal has beaten a "ranked" team.  Michigan and FSU were "ranked" teams.  Like I said before, you can't judge Cal (or any team) by ONE game. 

This discussion has become more than stupid.  Discussing who's the best "team" or conference based on ONE game is ridiculous.

See you in November when we know how good teams really are.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#54 : September 05, 2007, 04:31:12 PM

Week 1 means next to nothing. At this time last season Tennessee looked like the best team in the country. They were the only preogram to beat a ranked team. But everyone with half a bit of insight knew they lost 6 games the year before, 3 the year before that, 3 the year before that, and 5 the year before that, and it would all crumble before long. Lo and behold they ended up losing 4 games. Do you seriously think Texas is on the verge of falling apart because they only beat Arkansas by 8?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Snook

Hall of Famer
#55 : September 05, 2007, 04:33:06 PM

Week 1 means next to nothing. At this time last season Tennessee looked like the best team in the country. They were the only preogram to beat a ranked team. But everyone with half a bit of insight knew they lost 6 games the year before, 3 the year before that, 3 the year before that, and 5 the year before that, and it would all crumble before long. Lo and behold they ended up losing 4 games. Do you seriously think Texas is on the verge of falling apart because they only beat Arkansas by 8?

Wait, wait, wait.... are you saying that there's TRENDS in college football?   Amazing...

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#56 : September 05, 2007, 04:38:44 PM

Wait, wait, wait.... are you saying that there's TRENDS in college football? Amazing...
Just like because FSU beat Miami in the first game in 2006 and held them to 134 yards it meant the Noles were back and ready to roll..... And just like because Texas only scored 7 points at home against Ohio State in week two that season it meant the Horns were going to suck the rest of the year.....

Snook

Hall of Famer
#57 : September 05, 2007, 04:46:03 PM

And based on Cal's first game last year, their season was doomed....

We could go on forever.

Point is:  DON'T JUDGE TEAMS BY ONE GAME.

#58 : September 05, 2007, 05:01:39 PM

Better to judge on 1 game than past years.

And again, I was using current roster makeup and current performance.  Still far greater than your analysis.

And yes, Texas did suck last year.  They lost pretty much all their big games. 

I do agree this has gotten stupid and way off topic.  I'll lock the thread and you are right, we'll see in Nov.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breaking: Big Ten/ Michigan proving OVERRATED once again... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools