Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt, Appalachin State? « previous next »
Page: 1

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

: September 01, 2007, 11:19:12 PM

Matt - I can't believe Appalachin State BEAT Michigan?

App St - 34 vs Michigan-32

Wha' happened?

Incomparable sig by Incognito

matt

Starter

#1 : September 06, 2007, 03:46:06 PM

Sorry this took me so long to respond. I was gone all weekend and the last few days have been very busy...

If I had posted during halftime or after the game, my perspective would have been SIGNIFICANTLY different. I'll be honest...I wanted Lloyd fired at halftime. Of course, whenever I said his name, there were several expletives in front of it.

I was beside myself (as were the other Michigan fans at the bar) as to how this team could come out so unprepared. Chad Henne played more like a freshman QB Saturday than he EVER did his actual freshman year. The defense couldn't tackle, and the O-line was great in run blocking, but the pass protection wasn't giving Henne enough time to find an open receiver. Of course, who the hell knows if that would have mattered with the way Henne was throwing the ball.

Special teams were atrocious. Michigan should have tried to pick up a first down rather than kicking the first FG that was blocked. At that point, they had the lead and a first down would have likely allowed them to run the clock out. Regardless of how bad Henne had looked up until then, he's been pretty clutch throughout his career when he's needed to be, and quite honestly I trust a four year starting QB more than an inexperienced PK.

Where does this team go from here? Hopefully they go 11-1 and win their bowl game. As pathetic and embarrassing as they looked on Saturday, I'm willing to give them another chance against Oregon before I finally write them off for this season. There is waaaaaay too much pride and experience in that lockerroom for them not to recover from this enormous setback.

Even though I consider myself an optimist, I think its pretty safe to say that it won't end like that, so I'll lower my expectations to 1) a Big Ten Title 2) a win over Ohio State 3) a win in a BCS bowl game. This is going to be Lloyd's last year, whether he makes that decision or not. There will certainly be a lot of pressure from alumni and boosters aimed at Bill Martin and Mary Sue Coleman, which leads to my next point.

Bill Martin should be fired or asked to step down as AD and replaced with Lloyd. Martin has done a great job running the business side of the athletic department, but I'm not confident in his ability to select the next football coach, a process which Lloyd must ABSOLUTELY be a part of. Lloyd is the elder statesman of the football program and he LOVES Michigan Football, and I think he understands that Mike DeBord is NOT an option. I also think that he wouldn't hesitate to go out of the program and go after perhaps a Kirk Ferentz or a Bill Cowher. It's clear that Lloyd doesn't have the energy he once had, but he's given us a national championship and won as many games percentage wise as Bo and Mo won in an era where there is more parity due to scholarship restraints. Lloyd has been great for the program, but the best thing he can do at this point is retire after this season. I think he will, and I hope he makes the announcement the week of the Ohio State game.

#2 : September 06, 2007, 04:20:42 PM

Matt,

Wasn't this going to be Lloyds last year regardless?

I remember hearing before the season he would retire after this year.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 06, 2007, 04:45:42 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.  I think that he could be a good coach on a team with slightly lower expectation.  He would probably be a good coach to build a team but he doesn't seem to have the testies to handle the pressure of big time college foortball. 

I don't know the man and dont really follow the program so I may be dead wrong but that is the impression I get from their record the last few season.  What do you think Matt?

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 07, 2007, 08:45:35 AM

Even though I consider myself an optimist, I think its pretty safe to say that it won't end like that, so I'll lower my expectations to 1) a Big Ten Title 2) a win over Ohio State 3) a win in a BCS bowl game.

Yet, it is us Bama fans who are "delusional", and have unreasonable expectations. ;)

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 07, 2007, 04:47:58 PM

I liked Lloyd - but it is absolutely imperative for the Big Ten to improve it's rivalries by improving it's teams. Unfortunately, that will require Lloyd stepping aside.

The feeling I sense in Michigan from some fans that, stepping aside on his own after this debacle, wouldn't be good enough.

Some are calling for Lloyd's head - is this the feeling of most fans or just a deranged angry few?

matt

Starter

#6 : September 14, 2007, 09:37:21 PM

Matt,

Wasn't this going to be Lloyds last year regardless?

I remember hearing before the season he would retire after this year.

Not necessarily. It's been speculated that he would retire after this year. He had a clause in his contract changed this past offseason that certainly pointed in the direction of retirement. He was to receive a bonus on July 1, 2008 if he was still the head football coach. It now reads that he will get this bonus if he is employed in any capacity by the University of Michigan on July 1, 2008. Unless this season completely falls apart, Lloyd will decide when its time for him to step down.

It should be noted that the last two times Michigan started 0-2 (1988 and 1998), they ended up winning the Big 10. This team certainly has potential to do the same, if the defense remembers how to tackle and if the offense can start hitting on all cylinders. I will acknowledge that the offense has a much better chance at success with Chad Henne leading the team than Ryan Mallett. We really need Henne to get healthy.

Quote from: BucEmUp
I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.  I think that he could be a good coach on a team with slightly lower expectation.  He would probably be a good coach to build a team but he doesn't seem to have the testies to handle the pressure of big time college foortball. 

I don't know the man and dont really follow the program so I may be dead wrong but that is the impression I get from their record the last few season.  What do you think Matt?

I disagree that Lloyd can't deal with high expectations. His winning percentage is almost identical to Bo Schembechler's, although he IS 0-4 since Bo passed last November 17. He's been in BCS bowls in 3 out of the last 4 years, the first of which the team was led by the awful John Navarre.

Quote from: Buc Buckeye
Some are calling for Lloyd's head - is this the feeling of most fans or just a deranged angry few?

There are a lot of fans who want Lloyd gone now, most of whom are ignorant IMO. He's been a great coach for Michigan. The fans that want him gone are the ones that expect us to win every single game. While I admit, everytime Michigan takes the field, I do expect them to win, but I realize that it is not always possible. Some of our fans need to realize that grass isn't always greener on the other side...

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 15, 2007, 02:24:02 PM

could be used as an interesting analogy for Grudena nd the Buc fans.

I know you guys (and Bo) wanted to get Lloyd the AD job - but I'm not sure your alumni will allow this unless Lloyd can salvage a winning season. Just an observation.

And I've gotta tell you I am not real comfortable about my Buckeye's prospects in Washington this afternoon.

I don't have high expectations.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 29, 2007, 08:01:04 PM

Matt your boys seem to be getting back on track, but Illinois, Indiana and MSU look like very real, thorny, issues to overcome!

matt

Starter

#9 : October 06, 2007, 10:48:28 AM

You are right, Buc. Even though the Big 10 is down this year, there are a lot of unexpected teams that are playing very well. Luckily for Michigan, Chad Henne appears to be close to 100%. We would have lost to Northwestern last week if we had to rely on Ryan Navarre...I mean Mallet. Today we have Eastern Michigan and next week Purdue comes to the Big House.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 06, 2007, 04:21:44 PM

We'll see what kind of team Purdue really has this week. MSU falling to Northwestern and Wisconsin falling to Illinois are very interesting developments this week...

My Buckeye's have to face - MSU (facing our former defensive coordinator, Mark Dantonio), Penn State and Illinois - all before the Michigan game. Talent his improving in the Big Ten with advent of better coaches.

The deck looks even more stacked against you guys - Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, MSU, Wisconsin, OSU.

Man how about the Zooker...?!

matt

Starter

#11 : October 06, 2007, 07:19:16 PM

Michigan is undefeated in Big 10 play, which after the start to this season is all they can accomplish. Sure, some unexpected teams look good, but at the same time, teams we thought were decent a couple weeks ago aren't quite as good. Michigan State and Wisconsin look very much like middle of the pack teams at best, and it seems like our back to back trips to their places may not be as tough as we originally thought. Purdue certainly looks like they are going to be tough. We'll see what they're made of in a couple hours. I'll withhold judgment on Purdue until after tonight. The Illinois road game could be the toughest game we face up until the Ohio State finale. I see us beating Minnesota, Michigan State, and Wisconsin though. At this point, the other three remaining games are toss-ups.

Zook does seem to be having some success with Illinois, but we'll have to see if he can sustain this success and build on it. Ron Turner had some pretty good teams during his tenure.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 06, 2007, 10:38:22 PM

Zook is a masterful recruiter and he's gotten some recruits that OSU thought were locks. He's got a QB that is a Troy Smith clone - so hopefully you guys will be mindful of him...and that semi-spread thing their running.

That defense is STOUT. Wisconsin was a good team.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#13 : October 07, 2007, 12:24:00 AM

Zook is a masterful recruiter and he's gotten some recruits that OSU thought were locks. He's got a QB that is a Troy Smith clone - so hopefully you guys will be mindful of him...and that semi-spread thing their running.

That defense is STOUT. Wisconsin was a good team.

I have always wondered how Zook does it-- What he must say to get these kids is amazing. Spurrier never even met wityh amny families -- Zook always got them to UF and while he was not the greatest at coaching for UF he got the kids there that took a NC.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 07, 2007, 01:02:37 AM

Yeah Bucfan - I think it's his ability to be sincere and loyal. Comes across the television screen for cryin' out loud - he exudes it as he's being interviewed. I think the Florida thing only helped him.

He's not that great a coach but he can motivate kids - it's always been a strength. He's a good defensive coach and he can get to kids to play above their heads. I can't help but root for him - I did today. I went into this game knowing in my head that Wisconsin would have it tough but I neede them to win out until the OSU game - as I had some plans to go to the game...but in the middle of the game I begain pulling fo rthe Zooker.

The Zooker is a nice guy that just seems to get dumped on - don't know what he'll end up so long as he's one less win after he meets the Buckeye's.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Matt, Appalachin State? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools