Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who's going to get JaMarcus Russell? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

: September 04, 2007, 07:21:08 PM

It doesn't look good for the Raiders. Is there a possibility of a trade and who do you think would look to make that trade? Also, what do you think it would cost?

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

Snook

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 04, 2007, 07:23:45 PM

Anyone know what's the longest a draft pick has held out and eventually signed?  Just wondering if this is the longest...

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#2 : September 04, 2007, 07:25:20 PM

Snook, I think it is the longest, he already overtook Orlando Pace from the Rams back in 97.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 04, 2007, 07:33:18 PM

I figured it was...  I don't remember a draft pick ever not being signed going into the first regular season game.

T

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 04, 2007, 07:33:35 PM

Didn't Phillip Rivers not sign until a couple weeks into the regular season??

Snook

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 04, 2007, 07:33:42 PM

Besides Bo Jackson that is...

Ugh.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#6 : September 04, 2007, 07:33:50 PM

Its all going to depend on when his first mortgage payment is due once all his loans run out without any income ... tell you the truth, I'd be scared to re-draft the guy if he slips through the entire season and into next year.  They need to seriously revamp the way rookie contracts are done, but maybe that time has come and gone with the new CBA last year.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 04, 2007, 07:35:41 PM

Didn't Phillip Rivers not sign until a couple weeks into the regular season??

Just looked it up...

Rivers missed half of training camp.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 04, 2007, 07:36:26 PM

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d801edb28&template=with-video&confirm=true

Russell just broke the record.... but I think this is for number 1 overall picks.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 04, 2007, 07:36:42 PM

Most likely a 1st and a 2nd.. The only way he gets traded is with a sign-and-deal but leverage with teams makes it less likely.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 04, 2007, 07:48:17 PM

QB JaMarcus Russell's 34-day holdout from camp broke Orlando Pace's record for the longest holdout ever for a first-round pick. No other player from the common draft era has held out as long as Russell has.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 04, 2007, 07:53:01 PM

Are there even any signs of this moving forwards? It isn't like we're seeing a lot of "close" and "talks progressing" type things. Heck, it is so quiet I'd forgotten he was still holding out.

He can hold out all he wants, next year....he's not going to be as valuable as he is/was this year. Foolish to quibble over, and this sounds funny, $32m vs $40m. Yes $8m is a lot of green but there's nothing different in terms of lifestyle between $32m and $40m. He goes back into the draft and gets drafted #4, say, overall and his $12m bonus is gonna seem a lot different....and that might be his best case scenario.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

T

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 04, 2007, 07:56:07 PM

This is why the Raiders as an organazation are downright pathetic

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 04, 2007, 07:59:59 PM

This is why the Raiders as an organazation are downright pathetic

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-russell31aug31,1,7440449.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports

"The negotiations have been sporadic, with the sticking point being how much unrecoverable bonus money the Raiders are willing to commit to the former Louisiana State star. The team has offered a deal that includes $31 million in bonuses -- almost $5 million more than last year's No. 1 pick Mario Williams received. The haggling is over the so-called skill-and-injury clause that protects guaranteed money under any scenario that leads to a player's release, such as injury, death, or simply poor performance."

I don't know if this is just good biz to have recoverable money or if the Faders aren't sure they got "that guy" at #1 overall and are trying to cover their butts.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#14 : September 04, 2007, 08:09:30 PM

hey im all for him not playing i honestly don't think he deserves to be the number 1 pick and he damn sure doesn't act like it...it's a shame what money does to people

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who's going to get JaMarcus Russell? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools