Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who's going to get JaMarcus Russell? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

LVBUC

Practice Squad

#15 : September 04, 2007, 08:11:39 PM

I hope the raides gives him a take it or leave it deal.  If he dosn't take it he can go back in the draft, miss a whole year and get drafted lower and less money.

bucsbum

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 04, 2007, 08:20:06 PM

Raiders should give him a lower offer now that he missed TC

bucsfan4ever

Pro Bowler
#17 : September 04, 2007, 08:22:46 PM

Guess that is why teams talk to the No#1 pick before they draft them. I can remember the Commish saying that the Faders and Russell not screw around and not get him signed for the season.

I know that I would not want to make a trade even if the Faders would  - it would cost way to much!!!

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 04, 2007, 08:23:48 PM

Calvin Johnson signed this deal...

Lions signed Calvin Johnson to a six-year contract. NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the includes $27.2 million in guaranteed money. It can max out at $64 million with incentives.

If Russell feels like he's worth 12.8 million more in guaranteed money he's a fool. 30-33 million sounds like a really good deal.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 04, 2007, 08:37:10 PM

Honestly, if they knew they were going to have cap problems they should have just traded down for a less vaule or just run the clock out after the Lions.

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

LtFox

Starter

#20 : September 04, 2007, 09:10:47 PM

It amazes me how most people on these boards always side with managment verses labor in wage disputes. One poster commented that there was no liestyle difference between $32 million and $40 million. I agree. However, try for a moment and put yourself in the players perspective. He is the #1 overall pick- justified or not. He should get the best deal in the entire draft. Period. People get caught up in the numbers because they live paycheck to paycheck and can't conceive of that much money. It is no different than you being more qualified than a fellow employee (doing the same work) and wanting to be compensated accordingly. If he is making $150,000 (a lot of money to some) then you are justified in wanting more than that. The amount isn't necessarily the issue. It is a system based on compensation according to draft position. I commend Russell and hope he gets every penny out of Davis...

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 04, 2007, 09:23:44 PM

The Raiders offered 31 Million in guaranteed money just incase you didn't see that and the 2nd pick, Charles Johnson, received 27.2 million dollars in guaranteed money. I think it's a fair offer.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 04, 2007, 09:24:42 PM

Atlanta should make a run for Russell.  They have the money after getting out of the Vick contract and they need a QB.  Russell wants to play in the East, and Atlanta would be a perfect fit.

The Raiders don't need a young QB this year and Atlanta will be picking in the top five in 2008.  A deal makes sense for both teams and the player.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 04, 2007, 09:30:05 PM

It amazes me how most people on these boards always side with managment verses labor in wage disputes. One poster commented that there was no liestyle difference between $32 million and $40 million. I agree. However, try for a moment and put yourself in the players perspective. He is the #1 overall pick- justified or not. He should get the best deal in the entire draft. Period. People get caught up in the numbers because they live paycheck to paycheck and can't conceive of that much money.

Yeah except he wants a deal out of line with the #2 pick this year and out of line with last year's #1 pick. The Faders are offering him the best deal in the draft but he wants a deal better than the best. Sorry comrade, the revolt vs. the bourgeois is gonna have to start somewhere else.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

gharen

Pro Bowler

#24 : September 04, 2007, 09:30:29 PM

Gotta wonder how much he really wants to play football. Sooner or later, you stop banging your head against the wall and get into camp! If you really love playing and if you have enough confidence in yourself that you'll get a bigger contract down the line. Maybe he knows he won't do what it takes to be great, so he's holding out for all the cash he can get before everyone else figures it out. I don't know if Atlanta wants to take a risk on another guy that could be trouble.

Dominico

Starter

#25 : September 04, 2007, 09:30:47 PM

Let's just hope they set the draft salaries like the NBAs in the next collective barganing agreement, it's time to end this garbage.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 04, 2007, 09:31:10 PM

Atl is the perfect spot for Russell. 

However, Sirius has said many times that Russell can't be traded due to the rookie cap being full on most teams.  This would seem like a pretty silly loophole to prevent a trade, but that is what they are reporting.  In other words, Russell plays for the Raiders, or he goes back into the draft.

FYI, Bo held out the longest, but I'm sure no Buc fan worth a darn had to look that up.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 04, 2007, 09:31:17 PM

Let's just hope they set the draft salaries the NBAs in the next collective barganing agreement, it's time to end this garbage.

Amen

LtFox

Starter

#28 : September 04, 2007, 09:39:04 PM

The Raiders offered 31 Million in guaranteed money just incase you didn't see that and the 2nd pick, Charles Johnson, received 27.2 million dollars in guaranteed money. I think it's a fair offer.

You think its a fair offer? And you are qualified to render such a judgement how? Read below....it isn't the amount of money that is holding this up...

"The Raiders were told that structure wasn't going to work then and it's not going to work now," a source said. "It's completely unacceptable. No No. 1 pick has ever agreed to that kind of deal in the salary cap era, and it's not going to start now."

There have been 15 players drafted No. 1 overall since 1993. According to an NFL Players Association source, none of them has received a contract that did not include the skill and injury guarantees.

In addition, both sources said Oakland has tried to push a large amount of the guaranteed money back to being paid in the fourth year of the contract.

"That's ridiculous, too, because if the kid turns out to be a great player, they're going to want to redo the deal after the third year, just like what the Bengals did with Carson Palmer and Atlanta with Michael Vick," the source said. "In that case, (Russell) is never going to see the money he was supposed to get in this contract. He's just going to have a new deal. The Raiders are trying every trick they can find to get around paying the money."

I have dealt with management verses labor issues for YEARS and can honestly say that management always has a million excuses why they can't afford to pay someone what they are worth. Meanwhile, they consistently jack ticket prices up, sign BILLION dollar TV contracts, and laugh all the way to the bank. Davis is just being an ass. Russell should sit tight. Davis will fold once the Raiders start losing...

gharen

Pro Bowler

#29 : September 04, 2007, 09:44:55 PM

He should consider how much $ he will lose being picked 5th next year. I don't like Davis, but he is the wrong guy to piss off. He won't back down period!
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who's going to get JaMarcus Russell? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools