Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who's going to get JaMarcus Russell? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

LtFox

Starter

#30 : September 04, 2007, 09:49:30 PM

Davis will be dead by next year....that guy has one foot in the grave and the other on a bananna peel

spartan

Hall of Famer
#31 : September 04, 2007, 10:06:09 PM

Call me a skeptic, but it sounds to me like the Agent wants his cut up front. You know as a QB you would think that he would use some common sense. If the Raiders use so much of their cap space to sign him like he wants, he's not going to have much of a career. They have a really crappy OL now, just how are they going to improve it if all their jack is on him. Subsequently he is more than likely going to get absolutely creamed!!!

I think the Raiders are also trying to pull a bit of a fast one as well, but the kind of money he is asking for is pretty ridiculous IMO.

BucHawk

Second String

#32 : September 04, 2007, 10:14:55 PM

Who is Russell's agent?  Is it the Poston brothers?     He da chosen one!

http://footballguys.com/04bang_negotiation.htm

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#33 : September 04, 2007, 10:22:01 PM

The Raiders offered 31 Million in guaranteed money just incase you didn't see that and the 2nd pick, Charles Johnson, received 27.2 million dollars in guaranteed money. I think it's a fair offer.

"That's ridiculous, too, because if the kid turns out to be a great player, they're going to want to redo the deal after the third year, just like what the Bengals did with Carson Palmer and Atlanta with Michael Vick,"

and we ALL KNOW HOW BROKE THOSE TWO GUYS ARE BECAUSE OF IT.

those dirty management sneaky people.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#34 : September 04, 2007, 10:25:36 PM

The Raiders offered 31 Million in guaranteed money just incase you didn't see that and the 2nd pick, Charles Johnson, received 27.2 million dollars in guaranteed money. I think it's a fair offer.

You think its a fair offer? And you are qualified to render such a judgement how? Read below....it isn't the amount of money that is holding this up...

"The Raiders were told that structure wasn't going to work then and it's not going to work now," a source said. "It's completely unacceptable. No No. 1 pick has ever agreed to that kind of deal in the salary cap era, and it's not going to start now."

There have been 15 players drafted No. 1 overall since 1993. According to an NFL Players Association source, none of them has received a contract that did not include the skill and injury guarantees.

In addition, both sources said Oakland has tried to push a large amount of the guaranteed money back to being paid in the fourth year of the contract.

"That's ridiculous, too, because if the kid turns out to be a great player, they're going to want to redo the deal after the third year, just like what the Bengals did with Carson Palmer and Atlanta with Michael Vick," the source said. "In that case, (Russell) is never going to see the money he was supposed to get in this contract. He's just going to have a new deal. The Raiders are trying every trick they can find to get around paying the money."

I have dealt with management verses labor issues for YEARS and can honestly say that management always has a million excuses why they can't afford to pay someone what they are worth. Meanwhile, they consistently jack ticket prices up, sign BILLION dollar TV contracts, and laugh all the way to the bank. Davis is just being an butt. Russell should sit tight. Davis will fold once the Raiders start losing...

Why don't you ask Michael Vick's agent and the Falcons why guaranteed money isn't fully guaranteed. He should have to earn it like everybody else. None of the other rookies had all of their guaranteed money completely guaranteed and neither should Russell. He's got a fair contract offer from the Raiders based on last years number 1 pick's contract and this years number 2 pick's contract. He needs to get on the team like all the other rookies. He has no excuse. If you play well you get paid either with a new contract in 3 years or by playing out your existing contract. Every other player has a similar contract. No owner should be responsible for paying a guy 31 million dollars before he even throws a pass no matter what he does. There's insurance for injuries, he should buy some. If he violates the leagues policies he doesn't deserve the money. If he dies that's what life insurance is for. If he sucks like Leaf then he doesn't deserve the money.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

LtFox

Starter

#35 : September 04, 2007, 10:26:23 PM

"That's ridiculous, too, because if the kid turns out to be a great player, they're going to want to redo the deal after the third year, just like what the Bengals did with Carson Palmer and Atlanta with Michael Vick,"

and we ALL KNOW HOW BROKE THOSE TWO GUYS ARE BECAUSE OF IT.

those dirty management sneaky people.

Ignorance...pure ignorance. NO player in the entire league is broke. It is about getting the best deal possible. How hard is that to understand? I guess you are the type who just accepts whatever your boss throws your way. Good luck with that mentality.

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#36 : September 04, 2007, 10:27:31 PM

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

#37 : September 05, 2007, 02:44:09 AM

He's got to max out guaranteed money because he knows he sucks and won't last long in the NFL.

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

LtFox

Starter

#38 : September 05, 2007, 06:53:07 AM

He's got to max out guaranteed money because he knows he sucks and won't last long in the NFL.

LOL....now this I can agree with.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : September 05, 2007, 08:24:28 AM

One thing we know for sure is he is a selfish player and NOT thinking of the team, that's for sure!

Let's see:  $8 mil dif minus agent's fee which I've been told is 5% (I don't know that for a fact), so that's $7.6mil before taxes of at least 50% so that's $3.8 mil take home...is that worth holding out for?  I don't know because I don't understand the "upfront" versus "over the life of the contract" that will be renegotiated anyhow.

However, I don't think a rookie should be allowed to hold a team hostage llike that.  Maybe they should let Sapp come home and then give JaMarcus "Show Me the Money" his coins.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : September 05, 2007, 08:31:43 AM

He's already thrown this season down the toilet by missing training camp.   He's close to worthless to anyone for this season.    I'll be surprised if he signs at all.    What a fool.

bucngators15

Starter
#41 : September 05, 2007, 08:43:22 AM

is it true that if he is not signed by a certain time he cant play 4 that year

Whoever Said, " Its not whether you LOSE or WIN that counts.... PROBALY LOST

LtFox

Starter

#42 : September 05, 2007, 09:02:05 AM

One thing we know for sure is he is a selfish player and NOT thinking of the team, that's for sure!

Let's see: $8 mil dif minus agent's fee which I've been told is 5% (I don't know that for a fact), so that's $7.6mil before taxes of at least 50% so that's $3.8 mil take home...is that worth holding out for? I don't know because I don't understand the "upfront" versus "over the life of the contract" that will be renegotiated anyhow.

However, I don't think a rookie should be allowed to hold a team hostage llike that. Maybe they should let Sapp come home and then give JaMarcus "Show Me the Money" his coins.

How are they being held hostage? It is a negotiation. Davis can end this just as quickly as Russell. All the blame falls on the player when, in fact, the Raiders share in it as well. Do you really think Russell wants to hold out? I guarentee that he is really upset about it, but doesn't want to sign a "bad" deal. He is getting advice from agents that know far more than any of us.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#43 : September 05, 2007, 09:27:12 AM

How are they being held hostage? It is a negotiation. Davis can end this just as quickly as Russell. All the blame falls on the player when, in fact, the Raiders share in it as well. Do you really think Russell wants to hold out? I guarentee that he is really upset about it, but doesn't want to sign a "bad" deal. He is getting advice from agents that know far more than any of us.

It isn't a bad deal....unless he's a bad player but then it is the deal he deserves to get.

Frankly I have zero sympathy when the total money is right (more than right for his slot) and the only risk he's taking is that if he sucks he doesn't get paid insane amounts of jack and only a whole ton of jack. This is the way contracts should be done in the NFL across the board but I'm sure the agent and NFLPA are pushing him not to take this deal because they don't want to see a lot more recoverable monies in contracts.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#44 : September 05, 2007, 09:59:55 AM

It is about getting the best deal possible. How hard is that to understand? I guess you are the type who just accepts whatever your boss throws your way. Good luck with that mentality.

I get your point, but where does getting the best deal end and greed or stupidity start?

There comes a time when you must realize things are as about as good as it gets. At that point you must decide to take it or to walk away. It is very rapidly getting close to the point where Russell will hurt himself financially. If he goes into the draft again next year he will NOT be the #1 pick from what I can tell. What then? Will he accept the deal commensurate to where he is drafted next year? If not, will he demand the same kind of money he is this year? If he does I find it hard to believe that anybody will consider drafting him, at least in the first round. Either way it will be an astonishingly dumb move.

From what I can tell Russell and the Raiders are poles apart on the guaranteed money figure. I think that if he tempered his demands on that front the rest will fall into place.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who's going to get JaMarcus Russell? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools