Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FSU's problems the last few years « previous next »
Page: 1

« : September 05, 2007, 10:16:51 AM »

First of all the OL sucks. We'vce had 2 RB the past few years who were terrible in college and are going to go on and have more successful NFL careers. How often does that happen? The Seminoles are 15th from the bottom of the nation in rushing the past 2 years, yet the 2 RBs we used are showing everyoen what they're about in the pros. The OL looked the same against Clemson as it has the past several years

The QB play is not very good. I was a big Weatherford fan, and I have to eat crow. I was wrong. I told Gator fans he was going to be great, and he's not. I still think he could be good, but personally Id rather see X Lee.

The defense doesnt executue their assignments as a team. They play a 1-gap defense, and they get gashed because not everybody can take care of their assignments. We have 3-5 guys drafted on the first day every yeart off thsi defense, yet the past couple years weve let 1AA schools run it down our throats. Undisciplined football is all it is.

I dont know if any otehr FSU fans have noticed, but thsi team that Ive described is also the Bucs. The Seminoles and Bucs have mirrored eachotehr the past few years. They look very similar with the things they try to do, and  they look similarly pathetic trying to execute them. Its time to recruit a stud QB, we have whiffed the past 2 go arounds and been stuck with Weatherford and Rix. We need to focus our #1 priority on recruiting OL like we used to. We need some more stud CBs also.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

« #1 : September 05, 2007, 10:26:09 AM »

The Oline play is the reason why Drew can not make things happen.  He is a pocket passer and if the pocket colapses before the kid can get back in his drop he has no chance.  When this line comes a long you will see what Drew can do.  He is a good QB that had balls dropped and ZERO protection on monday.  You are right about the RB's, this is the third good RB that will do poorly because of the Oline.  I think the WR's need to be added into the problem field because they droped way to many passes that should have been caught.

X Lee is not the solution to the problem.  The only thing he would do is run a little better but he can not pass or read a D.  Add a few more rushing yards to the stat line but also add a few INT's and you have a bigger loose. 

The Ocoordinator needs to get the plays in faster because the O was getting the play call with 15 secs left on the play clock.  This is a disaster and will be fixed with time.  A new coaching staff often does this to a team.  They have to get used to each other and learn how to run the playbook. 

The D as you pointed out plays for personal gain and not for the team.  Hayes was all over the field but not in his spot and missed a lot of tackles.  They may have been tired but you still have to wrap up.  They will do better in the future along with the O.  To many people jump ship way to early lets just hope the coaching staff doesn't.

There is a reason why Drew has beat out Lee for 3 years and there is a reason why he has done so with two different O coordinators.  It is because he is the better QB.  You blame the O line for the running trouble but not for the QB trouble this doesn't make much sense.

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

« #2 : September 05, 2007, 12:00:03 PM »

The one glaring thing I took from their game w/ Clemson was the missed tackles. I remember days of old when FSU hit you there was no way you weren't going down. I think if FSU improves their tackling and the O-line gets some experience they will be back in the hunt for an ACC title sooner rather than later.

« #3 : September 05, 2007, 01:03:19 PM »

Say what you will, but that team hasn't been the same since Richt left.  Makes me wonder if he was calling most of the shots and responsible for the development and success of offensive players during his tenure.

Rix, Lee, Drew were all highly touted QB's who all have failed miserably at FSU. I find it hard to believe FSU just "whiffed" all 3 times.  I think much like the RB it all stems from the top.  Richt was running the show, calling the shots, and was the "real" HC during his stay there.  He was responsible for most of the success and performance of the team says it all.

I also think the new coaches were not picked by Bobby but were forced upon him. This is a recipe for disaster. These guys are not like the FSU coaches of old that Bobby handpicked.  I'm talking Trickett, Jimbo mainly.  Their personality and demeanor are far different from what FSU used in the past for success.  Something tells me these decision were not Bowden but came from higher up.  That's not to say they won't pan out eventually, but there seems to have been a power struggle in Tallahassee and I'm just not sure how much power Bobby Bowden has anymore.  It has long been said in recent years he just "delegates," but now I am not so sure that is even the case.  How much is he really delegating anymore and how much is he just being told?

Even down to the recruiting there has been recent chatter that he isn't  even talking to the recruits.  This used to be far from the case as he used to be actively involved in speaking with recruits and their families.  This was a key tool in getting the kind of players who succeeded at FSU.  Now they are getting the so called stars but none are panning out....hmmm...coincidental?   

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

« #4 : September 05, 2007, 01:08:46 PM »

The O cordinator is one of the best in the country.  The new coaches have to destroy everything the old coaches taught and teach the kids right.  Bowden may not be as active as he once was but he is still the HC and is well respected by everybody.  The new coaches will be great and allow Bowden to have a hands off approach.  This team will come around and succed once agian.  After all the changes anybody that expected them to come out of the gate fireing doesn't watch much sports got caught up in the hype.

« #5 : September 05, 2007, 01:23:53 PM »

Is Jimbo really that good? 

I saw a post on here a while back where someone did a comparison of Jimbo/JB and their offensive producton.  I remember it being very close, especially in games against common opponents.  I do believe last year with the #1 QB and 2 1st round WR LSU under Jimbo manages to put up less points against UF than FSU under JB did.  IIRC Jimbo's offenses like JB's seemed to dominate against the weaker teams and struggled mightily vs. the strong teams.  Auburn game comes to mind as well.

Not suggesting Jimbo is not better than JB, but I think the hype of Jimbo being one of "the best in the country" is a little unfounded.  He arguably did worse against UF than FSU with more talent last year.

Snook

Hall of Famer

« #6 : September 05, 2007, 01:35:03 PM »

USC:

In one post you say that Richt, as FSU's OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR, was responsible for developing the offensive talent.  "Makes you wonder"??  Everyone knows Richt ran the offensive show at FSU.  And he gets credit for the talent that came out of there.  NO DOUBT. 

But then in the next post you question Jimbo's past success.  And then blow off his success on the fact he had the #1 QB and 2 first round WRs. 

But.... WHO was responsible for developing Russell, Addai, and all those WRs that have come out of LSU?  Who was the QB coach and was probably most responsible for developing that talent?

Answer: JIMBO.

On one hand, you give credit to Richt for developing talent at FSU but on the other hand question if Jimbo is "really that good" right before going on to mention the talent that's come out of LSU. 

As for questioning LSU's offense...  They ranked 9th in points per game and 11th in yards per game last year. 

As for the game with Auburn you mentioned -- LSU actually had more yards against Auburn than national champion UF did.  They just couldn't score on what was an EXCELLENT Tiger defense.  As for LSU's performance against UF, the FOUR interceptions inside UF's 25 yard line sealed LSU's fate.  And Russells' fumble at the 1 yard line didn't help either.  LSU moved the ball.  They just couldn't score.

And it always cracks me up when people point out that Bobby doesn't run the show at FSU.  NO KIDDING.  EVERYONE knows that.    If you don't, you have you're head in the sand.  Or you're an FSU fan in denial. 

He's a figurehead.  Period.  And he's earned that. 

I'll agree with you that FSU hasn't been the same since Richt.  He was great.  He's great at developing talent.  TOP NOTCH.  David Greene is the winningest player in college football history -- and he wasn't anything special athletically -- but Richt brought the best out of him.

FSU hasn't had kind that of "teacher" since Richt left.  And they have it now in Fisher, hopefully.  His "stats" might not support an argument but you can't say that Jimbo isn't capable of developing talent -- and maybe even getting more out of players than their talent supports.  Go look up the list of LSU's past QBs...  Not many notable names there but they've all been winners.  Stats don't win games.  Players that make plays win games.

My point is... Richt and Fisher are both good at what they do.  Both develop talent very well and get the most from their players.  Jimbo will turn things around at FSU.  But it takes time.  He's working with someone else's players who have A LOT of bad habits to break.  I could be wrong but I think Jimbo will right the ship in Tallahassee... in due time.

FSU fans are unhappy right now but Clemson isn't the most ideal place to play your first game under a new coaching staff.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #7 : September 05, 2007, 07:28:45 PM »

The O cordinator is one of the best in the country.  The new coaches have to destroy everything the old coaches taught and teach the kids right. 
The O cordinator is one of the best in the country.  The new coaches have to destroy everything the old coaches taught and teach the kids right.  Bowden may not be as active as he once was but he is still the HC and is well respected by everybody.  The new coaches will be great and allow Bowden to have a hands off approach. 

so bowden let the old coaches teach wrong?  fsu will be mired in mediocrity (by their standards) until they get some OL and get rid of bowden.  when your head coach is complacent, it trickles down.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #8 : September 07, 2007, 05:10:45 PM »

The main reason for FSU's lack of success on offense has been starting QB's way before they were actually ready to start. Until Rix started that had not happened before Chip Ferguson started in the late 80's

Reason number 2 the OL has underperformed recently and doesn't have as much talent as previous OL's at FSU
Defense slid a bit a few years ago as well.  Between that and a lot of QB controversy fueled by fans has contributed greatly.

Reason Number 3  was the tragic Darling death and it caused the coaching staff to go really soft on the players.

Reason Number 4  Loss of Richt  did cause some mentoring problems with such young QB's   Richt contrary to popular belief is not the greatest Play caller around just ask any gator fan since UF has completely owned Georgia  since Richt came on board.

Reason Number 5  Great assembled staff but Rome wasn't built in a day.  FSU under Bowden's watch made the right moves in the Off season results will come but not as quick as many would like.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #9 : September 07, 2007, 06:02:22 PM »

you can start QB's before they are ready if you have the line to protect them.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Runole

Hall of Famer
« #10 : September 07, 2007, 10:55:04 PM »

you can start QB's before they are ready if you have the line to protect them.

Possibly true and if you limit their decision making they actually can grow into the position.  Normally, though I think sitting on the bench for a couple of years seems to be a much better formula for a successful QB.

« #11 : September 08, 2007, 02:21:07 AM »

You got to rtust your teammates to do their assigments in thsi type of defense, and it seems everyone is trying to do too much and not just doing their jobs.

I havent turned on Weatherford, I do blame the OL a lot. I think Lee might be the best guy to have in there right now, and I think Lee will see time otmorrow. The OL is learnig a new scheme, and wasnt recruited for what Rick Trickett likes to do. So it was known that they might not be very good this year. Im just sick of seeing it. I also know that traditionally Bobby Bowden recruits 2 QBs so that the better of the 2 will start his redhisrt junior year and it hanst happened with Rix and Weatherford who both starte dtheir freshman years. I guess throwing them to the lions is not the right approach in college football, and you have to let your QB sit and learn.

why did we lose that TE we had last year? That guy was like Alex Smith but a little lighter and a little better receiver.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FSU's problems the last few years « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools