Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Poll: What has been Grudens biggest mistake in Tampa? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

T

Hall of Famer

« #30 : September 05, 2007, 02:05:37 PM »

His biggest mistake was not being an active Christian leader, and a community figurehead who is nice to everyone and gives the local media all the time in the world.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #31 : September 05, 2007, 02:06:03 PM »

LOL@T

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

« #32 : September 05, 2007, 02:13:03 PM »

LOL@T

I thought you were clicking out of this thread mjs. Why dont you say that a few more times in each thread its really funny when u do it.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #33 : September 05, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »

What is with the name change?  Is Simms2Clayton05 not doing it for you anymore.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

« #34 : September 05, 2007, 02:17:32 PM »

What is with the name change? Is Simms2Clayton05 not doing it for you anymore.

time for a change. I mean would you keep that name?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #35 : September 05, 2007, 02:20:35 PM »

1. Letting Lynch and Sapp go. That was the GM not the HC
2. Not spending enough attention on defense.maybe, but again this seems more like a GM problem.
3. Putting Gradkowski in as a rookie. I would say, being in a postion where Grads was the only viable option was a huge mistake by both Gruden and Allen
4. Making Simms the starter. declaring him undisputed starter and not looking at other available FA vets was another huge mistake
5. Drafting (or is that the scouts)again that's GM not HC, just ask Adams, Black, Sabby etc. Gruden wanted CJ
6. Signing bad free agents. again GM
7. other ( what do you think he has done the worst in tampa.)

I want honest opinions on this. No Gruden lovers or hater opinions on this thread. Full thought out replies. go at it.

So I'm just going to throw nos. 1,2,5,and 6 out as being irrelevant.

Simms earned the starting job in '05, but I think Gruden went overboard in gushing "it's all your team now" stuff.  With Greise heading out Gruden should have insisted that Allen try to get a vet backup. To be in a position where the only backup QB that knows the system is a 6th round rookie was a disaster.  That I blame squarely on Gruden for not asking for another option and for gushing that Simms was "the guy".

So, I's say 3 and 4 are related in a way and a combination of the two are his biggest mistake.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #36 : September 05, 2007, 02:20:42 PM »

What is with the name change? Is Simms2Clayton05 not doing it for you anymore.

time for a change. I mean would you keep that name?

I probably wouldn't have had an ID like that in the first place.

BTW - I came back in the thread because I saw 'T" in the last poster column, and I was interested to see what a pro-Gruden guy like 'T' would post.

Anyways, it is the eve of the NFL season and time for bashing and/or doubting the coach is past...........are you ready for some football.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #37 : September 05, 2007, 02:22:16 PM »

Maxing out the salary cap and trading 7 1st and 2nd round picks so the team could make a run at the Super Bowl. ;)

rowdie

Hall of Famer

« #38 : September 05, 2007, 02:24:47 PM »

The media and fans didn't just start going crazy when Gradkowski came in. Gruden's biggest mistake in Tampa was coming after Coach Dungy.

Yep.

And that list of what mistakes he made doesn't seem to cover items he's actually responsible for.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

« #39 : September 05, 2007, 02:38:23 PM »

The media and fans didn't just start going crazy when Gradkowski came in. Gruden's biggest mistake in Tampa was coming after Coach Dungy.

Yep.

And that list of what mistakes he made doesn't seem to cover items he's actually responsible for.

I was trying to think of things that the media and fans like to blame gruden for. One of the reasons that I started this thread. I wanted to see what some of the fans here think about the kind of mistakes Gruden has made. This was not a pro gruden or antigruden thread. Just wanted to see what people really think about our head coach.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

« #40 : September 05, 2007, 02:44:06 PM »

Cool.  You did a good job of that.

If I'm going to talk about Gruden mistakes I'm a lot more prone to talk about his work as the ocord.  His game day coaching has often left much to be desired imo.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

gone

Hall of Famer
« #41 : September 05, 2007, 02:48:02 PM »

His mistake was in not getting a good QB.  He's had too much faith in mediocre-at-best guys like Greise, Simms, and Grads.  Had he sucked it up earlier and drafted or gone all out in FA after a guy with a proven history, we wouldn't be discussing any of the other issues.  Poor QBs have doomed this offense ever since Johnson's arm fell off.  Had he gone after Garcia harder 3 years ago, or sold out to get Brees, or even drafted a QB on day one (might have backfired, but a better risk than others) we would be talking about a much better team.  We would have had a much better record the last 3 years, and Gruden wouldn't be on the seat.

The other reasons listed just arent really that valid.  His drafting can't be judged yet, but we should all be pleased that it at least looks better than what was done from 99-03, The defense HAD to be skimped on because it was already overloaded, Grads looked a lot better than Rattay and people overestimate Rattay's effectiveness -- at best 1 or 2 more wins, and just as possible a worse record.  Making Simms the starter was a mistake in that he didn't go after someone else, not that Simms wasn't the best guy that TC, FA hasn't been great, but the sample size is really small and the amount of space excluded the highest end guys.

It just all comes back to the QB spot.  Nobody has stepped up since Brad left.  The best we had was Greise, and thats not a good sign. 

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

« #42 : September 05, 2007, 02:51:14 PM »

Cool. You did a good job of that.

If I'm going to talk about Gruden mistakes I'm a lot more prone to talk about his work as the ocord. His game day coaching has often left much to be desired imo.

I have mixed reviews about grudens game day coaching. There are games where he calls a good game and there are games where he doesnt do his best. You can say that about alot of the head coaches in this league though.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

« #43 : September 05, 2007, 03:05:07 PM »

His mistake was in not getting a good QB. He's had too much faith in mediocre-at-best guys like Greise, Simms, and Grads. Had he sucked it up earlier and drafted or gone all out in FA after a guy with a proven history, we wouldn't be discussing any of the other issues. Poor QBs have doomed this offense ever since Johnson's arm fell off. Had he gone after Garcia harder 3 years ago, or sold out to get Brees, or even drafted a QB on day one (might have backfired, but a better risk than others) we would be talking about a much better team. We would have had a much better record the last 3 years, and Gruden wouldn't be on the seat.

The other reasons listed just arent really that valid. His drafting can't be judged yet, but we should all be pleased that it at least looks better than what was done from 99-03, The defense HAD to be skimped on because it was already overloaded, Grads looked a lot better than Rattay and people overestimate Rattay's effectiveness -- at best 1 or 2 more wins, and just as possible a worse record. Making Simms the starter was a mistake in that he didn't go after someone else, not that Simms wasn't the best guy that TC, FA hasn't been great, but the sample size is really small and the amount of space excluded the highest end guys.

It just all comes back to the QB spot. Nobody has stepped up since Brad left. The best we had was Greise, and thats not a good sign.

Good point caradoc. I should have thought of that but like I said I was trying to think of reasons that the media and fans tend to blame gruden for and still do. I hear it everyday and see it everyday in the papers. I also wanted to see what the educated fans on pewter report think. I could do this type of thing on the buc.com but why bother they dont seem to understand. I just wanted to see what our fans really think of our head coach.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

« #44 : September 05, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »

Cool. You did a good job of that.

If I'm going to talk about Gruden mistakes I'm a lot more prone to talk about his work as the ocord. His game day coaching has often left much to be desired imo.

I have mixed reviews about grudens game day coaching. There are games where he calls a good game and there are games where he doesnt do his best. You can say that about alot of the head coaches in this league though.

He is what he is, an Ocord with no head coach to keep the game in perspective. He doesn't seem to have any concept of how the offense can help the defense. He seems to try to win with every possession instead of playing any kind of possession or field position game.

He simply won't commit to the run and he doesn't seem to call plays that help hide the offense's short comings.

Maybe he should get involved with the D a bit more and understand they're part of the team not just the offense. Honestly, he should get himself a real orcord or the Glaziers might consider finding a real head coach.

Maybe I'm way off base, How many other Head Coaches are calling the plays from the side line?  Martz did it, right? and got fired 'cause he svcked sweaty hairy donkey balz?  Brian Billick? took over play calling for part of the season, ravens?  Anyone else?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Poll: What has been Grudens biggest mistake in Tampa? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools