Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First time in Tampa... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

newman44

Rookie

« : September 05, 2007, 01:18:13 PM »

Hello,

Coming from NY to the 11/4 game v Arizona.  Will be travelling with a girl I am dating.  (we are both 28)
Been to many (away) Bucs game, but this will be my first time in town.

Looking for recommendations on where to stay & eat as well as fun things to do on Monday.

Any info or advice is much appreciated.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #1 : September 05, 2007, 01:44:16 PM »

how long will you be in town?  Do you intend getting a car?

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #2 : September 05, 2007, 02:01:16 PM »

I can un-recpmmend 2 places. Both by the airport and both pretty close to the stadium - the Best Western and the Days Inn. The Days INN was a rat trap of the place filled with the near scum of the earth. The cats that stayed there REALLY hated their lives - and these are people who want to stay in Days Inn's because they are just looking for someplace to close their eyes. The Best Western was a notch up from that but still pretty ratty and run down a few years back. There was a Mariot (IIRC) across the street with a good sports bar that seemed like a nice fit.

As far as what to do I thought St Pete was more interesting than Tampa. We went to the Dali Museum (if you like art) and it was a really nice museum. We ate at some burger place - Cap El or El Cap and it was a really good. In Tampa I hate at Selmon's place and it was pretty good along with some diner for the Cuban sandwhich that I'm struggling to recall now.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

« #3 : September 05, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »

Havana Village?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #4 : September 05, 2007, 02:05:06 PM »

If you like theme parks I would recommend Busch Gardens on the Monday.   It will probably be a little cool for the beach by early November and the animals in Busch are far more active at that time of year.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #5 : September 05, 2007, 02:23:07 PM »

and the animals in Busch are far more active at that time of year.

I didn't know you were into that....   ;)

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #6 : September 05, 2007, 02:26:44 PM »

and the animals in Busch are far more active at that time of year.

I didn't know you were into that.... ;)

They have free beer and thrill rides....the animals are just a bonus.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #7 : September 05, 2007, 02:28:24 PM »

When I was in Tampa, my company put our clients in the Embassy Suites hotel across from West Shore Mall.   That seems to be a nice hotel and not too expensive.   It's quite close to the stadium and airport as well.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
« #8 : September 05, 2007, 02:30:18 PM »

I can reccommend two places both by the stadium...
Mons Venus and 2001 Odyssey

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #9 : September 05, 2007, 02:33:41 PM »

Doubletree adn Sheraton Suites on Cypress are decent places to stay and close to the airport/the stadium.  Embassy Suites that Java mentioned is a good suggestion as well.  Charley's Steakhouse is between the two.  There are also several good restaurants at International Plaza as well as Westshore Plaza.  Both are nearby.  Take your girl to Channelside or Ybor City if you are here Friday or Saturday night.  There are some decent restaurants and you got the club life happening in both places (more so Ybor City).  Busch Gardens and the Dali Museum are good suggestions for Monday depending on your tastes.

newman44

Rookie

« #10 : September 05, 2007, 03:27:47 PM »

Thanks for all of the info so far...

To answer a previous post, I will be staying in Palm Beach and driving up Sunday morn for the game.

Staying local tampa/st. pete sunday night and flying home Monday evening (from Tampa).

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

« #11 : September 05, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »

As mentioned above, you can't go wrong by going to Charley's Steakhouse and Seafood on Cypress Sunday evening after the game. Though I've never stayed there, friends of mine who have speak glowingly of the Doubletree on Cypress.

« #12 : September 05, 2007, 03:50:33 PM »

I will second Dal's recommendation. IMO, the Dali museum is one of the premier attractions in the Tampa area.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #13 : September 05, 2007, 04:03:06 PM »

I love the Dali museum.   It's quite far from the Stadium and airport though.   

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #14 : September 06, 2007, 02:29:08 AM »

I will second Dal's recommendation. IMO, the Dali museum is one of the premier attractions in the Tampa area.

Frankly in November that whole marina area should make for a pleasant morning - it was a might hot for us when we were there.

One other "avoid" comment -  a lot of folks recommended some Asian buffet place down by the airport. Went there, food was meh and the prices were very, very high. A better gig was the Thai place went that was out north a good bit - locals help me out- west side of the highway in a strip mall (the latter won't help much). Name totally escapes me but the interior has a lot of woodwork and the food was top notch.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First time in Tampa... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools