Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: can the canes beat the sooners? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

: September 05, 2007, 01:42:24 PM

i am a huge miami canes fan.if they can beat oklahoma it will definately go along ways to reestablish the canes as a top 25 team.the question is can they do it.defensively yes.offensively?all i know is things can only go up for this once dominate school.comments welcome.go canes!

Snook

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 05, 2007, 01:44:50 PM

I sure hope so.  It'd be a big step for Miami on getting its program back on track.  I'd love to see it.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 05, 2007, 01:48:30 PM

If Freeman can't pass for 100 yards against Marshall, what is going to happen against Oklahoma?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

#3 : September 05, 2007, 01:52:23 PM

i did not see the stats from that game only the score.how did they do running the ball?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 05, 2007, 01:58:55 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272442390

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#5 : September 06, 2007, 03:42:10 AM

They've got a decent shot. I like their defense vs. just about any in the country, and if James and Cooper can really lighten the pressure off Freeman, they'll be in it til the end and could very well pull it off. Unfortunately, I don't think they will. But at least it'll give James a chance to see what he's got against a top program.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#6 : September 06, 2007, 08:56:02 AM

This and the LSU vs VT games will be most interesting.  Here is an excellent article on the new head coach of UM.  The guy sounds as real as a heart attack and if his words are to believed Miami is for a huge makeover and may finally be able to drop the tag of :"Thug U".  Shannon truly sounds like a remarkable individual considering the adversity he has faced in his life.

This is a must read for all football fans and especially those cane fans that seem to relish the "in your face" attitude of Miami. From Randy's comments it looks like discipline is about to take over Miami!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/09/04/shannon0910/index.html

Oh and back to the game. These are the kinds of games that make college football's regular season special. UM and Oklahoma are to be congratulated for scheduling such a monumental regular season game.

#7 : September 06, 2007, 09:28:07 AM

If Miami were ranked I would definitely pick the Canes.  Considering the BIG 12 is 0-17!!! in their last 17 games vs. ranked opponents (and some around here are touting the BIG12 lol), I would say the odds would definitely be against Oklahoma winning.  Unfortunately Miami isn't  ranked and I am not sure they can run all over OK.  It will take a passing game to win it and Miami hasn't shown that in quite some time.  I'll give OK the edge but Miami certainly has a shot.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 06, 2007, 09:45:41 AM

Considering the BIG 12 is 0-17!!! in their last 17 games vs. ranked opponents

I'm not doubting the validity of this statement but I'd like to see where you got that from.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#9 : September 06, 2007, 09:59:15 AM

Considering the BIG 12 is 0-17!!! in their last 17 games vs. ranked opponents

I'm not doubting the validity of this statement but I'd like to see where you got that from.

Didn't Texas beat USC for the MNC in 2006?

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#10 : September 06, 2007, 10:34:37 AM

Snook, I think he got it from ESPN's College Football Live last night. I heard the same thing and immeditately the game Runole mentions came to my mind.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#11 : September 06, 2007, 10:46:26 AM

This is another one of those statistics that even if valid has little value.  It is extremely rare for there to be that many games out of conference against Ranked BCS opponents.  What rankings should you go by?  the end of the season?  Pre season?  when they play?  Just another  statistic with little value.

The way Oklahoma has been viewed by the writers and media they should blow out Miami. However, JMO but there are very few defenses that are better than UM in the country.  The big problem for Miami will be if Oklahoma can shut down their running game can they pass with any efficiency.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 06, 2007, 11:04:38 AM

I agree, Runole.  That's a vague stat.  For instance, I don't give credit for a team beating a "ranked" team unless that team is ranked at the end of the season.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#13 : September 06, 2007, 12:08:09 PM

The Big 12 has 12 teams.  17 games has little value even if the stat is true.

I am not sure any ranking is valid since they are so subjective and suspect with the regional and perceptive bias put in.

Did you read the article on Shannon? 

#14 : September 06, 2007, 12:53:12 PM

I first read the stat on another website.  I then heard it mentioned on a "Big 12 Preview" Show.  I last heard it on CFB Live, on 2 different occasions one being last night.  I tend to think given 3 different sources it is accurate.  I can think of a couple by both OK and TX last year.  Not sure when they count the ranks but even so it is alarming.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a conference close to that record over a 17 games span.

What was the Big 12 record in bowl games last year?

It's conceivable that if they had 5 bowl games where all lost to ranked opponets, I know Texas lost 2 reg. season, Oklahoma at least 1, that's 8 right now.  The last win could very well be Texas over USC, not sure.  Either way you look at it, it is an outstanding stat.  Much like OSU's record vs. SEC opponents.

BAck on topic, I do look forward to this game.  Should go a long way in seeing if Miami is on the track back.  Even if they lose, if they don't fold their tent and give up like they have done in recent years it will be a step in the right direction.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: can the canes beat the sooners? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools