Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL removes clips from YouTube. « previous next »
Page: 1 2

goto11

Starter
#15 : November 10, 2006, 09:38:56 AM

YouTube have been taking clips down for the last few weeks after a successful law suit in Japan.  There is no conspiracy with the NFL having their clips removed, they are just one of the many companies that are simply enforcing copyright.

I call shenanigans.  If I want to repeatedly see Will Allen decleating Steve Smith (which, as we all know, NEVER EVER gets old), there is no authorized, legitimate NFL source for that clip.  The NFL isn't losing money by it being on YouTube because the NFL doesn't offer that service.  What possible harm is it doing to the NFL to have those clips online?

Actually, with the NFLs renewed emphasis on the international market, you'd think they'd want to spread the word about American football as much as possible.  The clips on YouTube are usually the most exciting or interesting plays.  Wouldn't it be great marketing to have the NFL's greatest hits freely available for the world to see?  Maybe people in other countries see it and like it and consequently start buying jerseys and demanding that NFL games be shown in their cities/countries.  It seems to me like the NFL is wasting an excellent opportunity here.  If I were in charge of the NFL marketing machine, I would have an authorized repository of "greatest hits" clips available on NFL.com at relatively low resolution, then I would sell hi-res versions for download and on DVD.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#16 : November 10, 2006, 10:16:47 AM

YouTube have been taking clips down for the last few weeks after a successful law suit in Japan.  There is no conspiracy with the NFL having their clips removed, they are just one of the many companies that are simply enforcing copyright.

I call shenanigans.  If I want to repeatedly see Will Allen decleating Steve Smith (which, as we all know, NEVER EVER gets old), there is no authorized, legitimate NFL source for that clip.  The NFL isn't losing money by it being on YouTube because the NFL doesn't offer that service.  What possible harm is it doing to the NFL to have those clips online?

Actually, with the NFLs renewed emphasis on the international market, you'd think they'd want to spread the word about American football as much as possible. The clips on YouTube are usually the most exciting or interesting plays.  Wouldn't it be great marketing to have the NFL's greatest hits freely available for the world to see?  Maybe people in other countries see it and like it and consequently start buying jerseys and demanding that NFL games be shown in their cities/countries.  It seems to me like the NFL is wasting an excellent opportunity here.  If I were in charge of the NFL marketing machine, I would have an authorized repository of "greatest hits" clips available on NFL.com at relatively low resolution, then I would sell hi-res versions for download and on DVD.

The word has already been spread...do you think people of the Asian Continent just found out about football??? The NFL feels it's now time to put up or shut up. If they want to see the NFL, then pay for it. Letting a possible target audience watch for free, what's the point?

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#17 : November 10, 2006, 10:17:53 AM

Letting a possible target audience watch for free, what's the point?

You do realize the black market is huge over there right?  Just ask java.

goto11

Starter
#18 : November 10, 2006, 10:19:44 AM

The word has already been spread...do you think people of the Asian Continent just found out about football??? The NFL feels it's now time to put up or shut up. If they want to see the NFL, then pay for it. Letting a possible target audience watch for free, what's the point?

These aren't complete games we're talking about.  They're 30-60 second clips.  And you can't tell me that NFL saturation in Asia has reached a level where a few free samples wouldn't help.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#19 : November 10, 2006, 10:31:21 AM

These aren't complete games we're talking about.  They're 30-60 second clips.  And you can't tell me that NFL saturation in Asia has reached a level where a few free samples wouldn't help.

That's my point...do you think this is new over there? The time for free samples is up!!!

gone

Hall of Famer
#20 : November 10, 2006, 12:37:07 PM

Until they are a market force overseas, they should be encouraging these things.  Unfortunately  the NFL is as much a victim or copyright law as a beneficiary.  The law requires that you perform a certain due dilligence in protecting your copyright.  If you don't go after "every" infringement, you lose a certain amount of leverage against those you do go after.  A copyright that is only selectively enforced means an "infiringer" can claim they thought they were one of the "permitted" abusers..

#21 : November 10, 2006, 07:06:58 PM

i feel like the nfl is taking over everything 8)
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL removes clips from YouTube. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools