Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What ever happend to the Reggie Bush and USC deal with the NCAA? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

: September 12, 2007, 04:59:01 PM

I thought that there was going to be an investigation and sanctions from the NCAA but I guess I lost track. I see that Reggie didn't have to give back the HT...OBD

Snook

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 12, 2007, 05:14:04 PM

Swept under the rug, my friend.  Swept under the rug.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 12, 2007, 05:21:30 PM

Swept under the rug, my friend. Swept under the rug.

So thats how they get to be rated @ #1 they have a big broom...OBD

Snook

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 12, 2007, 05:51:55 PM

I think the NCAA removed USC from any guilt in the situation because it was between a player and an agent, not a player and a booster.

So, remember, if you want to give money to a college player or help him out in anyway, do it through an "agent".

The NCAA is a joke.

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 12, 2007, 06:05:37 PM

I think the NCAA removed USC from any guilt in the situation because it was between a player and an agent, not a player and a booster.

So, remember, if you want to give money to a college player or help him out in anyway, do it through an "agent".

The NCAA is a joke.

LOL...OBD

Runole

Hall of Famer
#5 : September 13, 2007, 11:01:46 AM

The NCAA is a joke.

After the "footlocker"  this has always been the case.  The NCAA found it was impossible to punish any school no matter how many agents are paying players and giving benefits under the table.

Only when boosters are involved does the NCAA step in  See Oklahoma!

#6 : September 15, 2007, 08:44:08 AM

Bush just used the precedent set by former FSU players.  As previously stated NCAA generally does not punish the school in these cases.

I will agree it is odd for this to be swept under the rug, and I don't agree with this type of behavior.  However, after seeing programs like FSU and others get away with countless violations over the years I am not at all surprised by this lack of action.

T

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 15, 2007, 01:53:58 PM

College football is a joke. It's all about the money. It's not about the game, it's all about cash and making money for the schools.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 15, 2007, 04:41:19 PM

Bush just used the precedent set by former FSU players.  As previously stated NCAA generally does not punish the school in these cases.

I will agree it is odd for this to be swept under the rug, and I don't agree with this type of behavior.  However, after seeing programs like FSU and others get away with countless violations over the years I am not at all surprised by this lack of action.

UF isn't any different.

Remember when Kearse & Co. were on Tank Black's payroll in the mid 90's?

Getting free shoes from Foot Locker isn't as bad as free cars from Tank Black.

#9 : September 15, 2007, 07:53:51 PM

UF isn't any different.

Remember when Kearse & Co. were on Tank Black's payroll in the mid 90's?

Getting free shoes from Foot Locker isn't as bad as free cars from Tank Black.

Hence why I said FSU and others.

All big schools do it.  It's a fact and why I laugh if anyone acts like their schools are any better.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 16, 2007, 01:18:03 PM

"Seeing programs  like FSU and others get away with countless violations over the years"????

Please provide information on what Violations FSU has gotten away with over the years?      While FSU remains the only school in NCAA

history punished for agent related activities without the facts of these "countless violations" that is an absolutely erroneous comment.

FSU has not had a single coach or employee fired, scholarship lost, Bowl game missed, TV time lost, games forfeited, titles stripped, or any other major sanction for a lack of institutional control under the entire Bowden watch.

All the footlocker resulted in was 1 years probation with NO Sanctions!   Can USC make such a statements about not being found guilty of a lack of institutional control?

I suggest you read carefully the summaries comparing USC with FSU be sure to note the little boxes and actions taken:

Institution: University of Southern California
Date: 23-AUG-01
Facts Summary: Unethical conduct; academic fraud; provision of false and misleading information; violation of academic eligibility requirements; extra benefits and lack of monitoring.
Violation Summary: Individuals employed in the office of Student Athlete Academic Services (SAAS) engaged in academic fraud by substantially composing academic papers for three student-athletes. Further, one of the individuals provided false and misleading information when questioned by university representatives about his involvement in the academic fraud. The student-athletes involved in this case violated the principles of ethical conduct by knowingly submitting papers for academic credit that were substantially completed by other individuals.
Penalty Summary: Public reprimand and censure; two-years of probation; the number of athletically related financial aid awards in the sport of football shall be reduced by two during the 2002-03 academic year, limiting the institution to 83 total grants-in-aid for that academic year; the number of athletically related financial aid awards in the sport of women's swimming and diving shall be reduced by 0.5 during the 2002-03 academic year; show-cause order imposed for the former tutor coordinator for a period of two-years (August 23, 2001, to August 22, 2003); annual reporting and recertification.
Involved Sports:
   Football
   Women's Swimming
Involved Penalties:
TV:    yrs    Reduction in Financial Aid:    Yes
Postseason:    yrs    Recruiting:    No
Probation:    2 yrs    Show Cause Action:    Yes
--------------------------------------------

Date: 10-APR-86
Facts Summary: Improper entertainment; extra benefits; out-of-season practice; improper recruiting contacts, entertainment, inducements and transportation; tryouts.
Violation Summary: Improper entertainment; extra benefits; out-of-season practice; improper recruiting contacts, entertainment, inducements and transportation; tryouts.
Penalty Summary: Maximum of 22 initial grants for 1986-87 and 14 initial grants for 1987-88; maximum of eight full-time assistant coaches for off-campus recruiting until 7/1/86; no new assistant coach until 7/1/86; monitored official visits; show cause why more penalties should not be imposed if institution does not disassociate one representative from recruiting.
Involved Sports:
   Football
Involved Penalties:
TV:    0 yrs    Reduction in Financial Aid:    Yes
Postseason:    0 yrs    Recruiting:    Yes
Probation:    2 yrs       
------------------------------------------------------

Date: 23-APR-82
Facts Summary: Improper employment; complimentary tickets; academic fraud; eligibility; unethical conduct; certification of compliance.
Violation Summary: Improper employment; complimentary tickets; academic fraud; eligibility; unethical conduct; certification of compliance.
Penalty Summary: Show cause why more penalties should not be imposed if institution does not disassociate from recruiting and freeze the salary of one assistant coach for two years, and disassociate 16 representatives for three years.
Involved Sports:
   Football
Involved Penalties:
TV:    2 yrs   Reduction in Financial Aid:    No
Postseason:    2 yrs    Recruiting:    Yes
Probation:    3 yrs       

FLORIDA  STATE:

Institution: Florida State University
Date: 19-MAR-96
Facts Summary: Failure to monitor and investigate adequately. [UPHELD ON APPEAL]
Violation Summary: FAILURE TO MONITOR: Institutional representatives failed to take appropriate action in response to information indicating that sports agents might be involved with student-athletes. Had these individuals adequately investigated or monitored these situations, the university might have prevented or detected earlier the violations of amateurism legislation. [UPHELD ON APPEAL.]
Penalty Summary: Public reprimand; compliance report. [UPHELD ON APPEAL]
View Appeal Report
Involved Sports:
   Football
Involved Penalties:
TV:    0 yrs    Reduction in Financial Aid:    No
Postseason:    0 yrs    Recruiting:    No
Probation:    1 yrs       
-------------------------------------------------

Date: 12-JUN-84
Facts Summary: Improper recruiting inducements.
Violation Summary: Improper recruiting inducements.
Penalty Summary: Public reprimand.
Involved Sports:
   Football
Involved Penalties:
Probation:    0 yrs       

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 31-MAR-83
Facts Summary: Improper entertainment, lodging and transportation; extra benefit; improper recruiting entertainment.
Violation Summary: Improper entertainment, lodging and transportaiton; extra benefit; improper recruiting entertainment.
Penalty Summary: None.
Involved Sports:
   Men's Basketball
Involved Penalties:

You will note that though USC and FSU have indeed had 3 investigations by the NCAA that is where similarities END!    USC has had several notable sanctions it has received over the last 30 years.  FSU HAS NOT RECEIVED SUCH SANCTIONS. 

Keep in mind after the "Footlocker" FSU actually sought out the NCAA and had them choose their best investigative team to completely go over the program with a fine tooth comb to make sure they were totally NCAA compliant.  It really irritates me when false aspersions are cast towards FSU on the subject of NCAA compliance.

Has FSU had their share of Student Athletes in trouble?  Most certainly !!  However, stating they have been in severe NCAA trouble  and have been cheating is total BS!

THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!!

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 18, 2007, 09:38:24 PM

Bush just used the precedent set by former FSU players. As previously stated NCAA generally does not punish the school in these cases.

I will agree it is odd for this to be swept under the rug, and I don't agree with this type of behavior. However, after seeing programs like FSU and others get away with countless violations over the years I am not at all surprised by this lack of action.

"Seeing programs like FSU and others get away with countless violations over the years"????

Please provide information on what Violations FSU has gotten away with over the years? While FSU remains the only school in NCAA

history punished for agent related activities without the facts of these "countless violations" that is an absolutely erroneous comment.

FSU has not had a single coach or employee fired, scholarship lost, Bowl game missed, TV time lost, games forfeited, titles stripped, or any other major sanction for a lack of institutional control under the entire Bowden watch.

All the footlocker resulted in was 1 years probation with NO Sanctions! Can USC make such a statements about not being found guilty of a lack of institutional control?

I suggest you read carefully the summaries comparing USC with FSU be sure to note the little boxes and actions taken:

Date: 23-AUG-01
Facts Summary: Unethical conduct; academic fraud; provision of false and misleading information; violation of academic eligibility requirements; extra benefits and lack of monitoring.
Violation Summary: Individuals employed in the office of Student Athlete Academic Services (SAAS) engaged in academic fraud by substantially composing academic papers for three student-athletes. Further, one of the individuals provided false and misleading information when questioned by university representatives about his involvement in the academic fraud. The student-athletes involved in this case violated the principles of ethical conduct by knowingly submitting papers for academic credit that were substantially completed by other individuals.
Penalty Summary: Public reprimand and censure; two-years of probation; the number of athletically related financial aid awards in the sport of football shall be reduced by two during the 2002-03 academic year, limiting the institution to 83 total grants-in-aid for that academic year; the number of athletically related financial aid awards in the sport of women's swimming and diving shall be reduced by 0.5 during the 2002-03 academic year; show-cause order imposed for the former tutor coordinator for a period of two-years (August 23, 2001, to August 22, 2003); annual reporting and recertification.
Involved Sports:
   Football
   Women's Swimming
Involved Penalties:
TV:    yrs    Reduction in Financial Aid:    Yes
Postseason:    yrs    Recruiting:    No
Probation:    2 yrs    Show Cause Action:    Yes
--------------------------------------------

Date: 10-APR-86
Facts Summary: Improper entertainment; extra benefits; out-of-season practice; improper recruiting contacts, entertainment, inducements and transportation; tryouts.
Violation Summary: Improper entertainment; extra benefits; out-of-season practice; improper recruiting contacts, entertainment, inducements and transportation; tryouts.
Penalty Summary: Maximum of 22 initial grants for 1986-87 and 14 initial grants for 1987-88; maximum of eight full-time assistant coaches for off-campus recruiting until 7/1/86; no new assistant coach until 7/1/86; monitored official visits; show cause why more penalties should not be imposed if institution does not disassociate one representative from recruiting.
Involved Sports:
   Football
Involved Penalties:
TV:    0 yrs    Reduction in Financial Aid:    Yes
Postseason:    0 yrs    Recruiting:    Yes
Probation:    2 yrs       
------------------------------------------------------

Date: 23-APR-82
Facts Summary: Improper employment; complimentary tickets; academic fraud; eligibility; unethical conduct; certification of compliance.
Violation Summary: Improper employment; complimentary tickets; academic fraud; eligibility; unethical conduct; certification of compliance.
Penalty Summary: Show cause why more penalties should not be imposed if institution does not disassociate from recruiting and freeze the salary of one assistant coach for two years, and disassociate 16 representatives for three years.
Involved Sports:
   Football
Involved Penalties:
TV:    2 yrs   Reduction in Financial Aid:    No
Postseason:    2 yrs    Recruiting:    Yes
Probation:    3 yrs       

FLORIDA STATE:

Date: 19-MAR-96
Facts Summary: Failure to monitor and investigate adequately. [UPHELD ON APPEAL]
Violation Summary: FAILURE TO MONITOR: Institutional representatives failed to take appropriate action in response to information indicating that sports agents might be involved with student-athletes. Had these individuals adequately investigated or monitored these situations, the university might have prevented or detected earlier the violations of amateurism legislation. [UPHELD ON APPEAL.]
Penalty Summary: Public reprimand; compliance report. [UPHELD ON APPEAL]
View Appeal Report
Involved Sports:
   Football
Involved Penalties:
-------------------------------------------------

Date: 12-JUN-84
Facts Summary: Improper recruiting inducements.
Violation Summary: Improper recruiting inducements.
Penalty Summary: Public reprimand.
Involved Sports:
   Football
Involved Penalties:
Probation:    0 yrs       

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 31-MAR-83
Facts Summary: Improper entertainment, lodging and transportation; extra benefit; improper recruiting entertainment.
Violation Summary: Improper entertainment, lodging and transportaiton; extra benefit; improper recruiting entertainment.
Penalty Summary: None.
Involved Sports:
   Men's Basketball
Involved Penalties:

You will note that though USC and FSU have indeed had 3 investigations by the NCAA that is where similarities END! USC has had several notable sanctions it has received over the last 30 years. FSU HAS NOT RECEIVED SUCH SANCTIONS.

Keep in mind after the "Footlocker" FSU actually sought out the NCAA and had them choose their best investigative team to completely go over the program with a fine tooth comb to make sure they were totally NCAA compliant. It really irritates me when false aspersions are cast towards FSU on the subject of NCAA compliance.

Has FSU had their share of Student Athletes in trouble? Most certainly !! However, stating they have been in severe NCAA trouble and have been cheating is total BS!

THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!!

Very Nice Reply...OBD

Ericsbucs371

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 24, 2007, 06:39:18 PM

College football is a joke. It's all about the money. It's not about the game, it's all about cash and making money for the schools.
And ProFootball is not all about the money?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 27, 2007, 09:35:35 AM

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Two athletic department academic assistance employees have resigned and 23 Florida State University athletes were implicated in cheating on tests given over the Internet, school officials said Wednesday.

The athletes represent nine sports and 17 of the students are or have been on scholarship. Officials could not identify the students and could not say which sports are involved because of federal confidentiality restrictions.
University President T.K. Wetherell reported the findings in a letter to the NCAA. He indicated inquires are continuing although an internal investigation failed to find conclusive evidence of a more widespread pattern of cheating.

The students could face punishment from the university and NCAA including loss of eligibility. The NCAA also could sanction the university, but spokesman Erik Christianson said it would be speculative and declined comment.

"I think the school took appropriate action," said Jim Smith, chairman of the university's board of trustees and a former Florida attorney general. "It's unfortunate something like this could happen."

Wetherell ordered an investigation by the university's Office of Audit Services in May after receiving information an athletics department learning specialist had directed one athlete to take an online quiz for another and then provided the answers.

The student who took the test was not enrolled in the class and reported what happened to his athletics academic advisor. Neither he nor the other athlete, who had been unaware someone else took the test for him, were disciplined, the report said.

The investigation then found the learning specialist also typed papers for five students who apparently didn't qualify for that service and a tutor provided answers or other unethical assistance to 23 students for online tests. The testing involved a single course, which was not identified.

"Some students from the 2007 semester indicated that it was common knowledge among the student athletes that the tutor would help with the exams in the class," the report said.

The learning specialist and tutor resigned. They are not named in the report.

The tutor confirmed in an interview with the school's auditors that he had been assisting students with answers for the online exams since the fall of 2006, according to the report.

"Student testimony as well as the students' grades indicated the amount of assistance the tutor provided escalated from fall 2006 through his resignation during the summer semester 2007," the report stated.

The auditors also found the learning specialist had failed to direct athletes with disabilities to Florida State's Student Disability Resource Center where they could have received legitimate assistance.

The NCAA is also awaiting more details.

"We are aware of the situation and we will work with the institution when more information is submitted to our office," Christianson said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7269326

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#14 : September 27, 2007, 09:46:04 AM

Sounds a lot like what happened at Auburn...student athletes cheating... and nothing ever came of that either...

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What ever happend to the Reggie Bush and USC deal with the NCAA? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools