Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Salary Cap info for FA « previous next »
Page: 1 2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

: November 09, 2006, 07:16:35 PM

I think everyone is expecting the Bucs to make a splash in FA with over $25 million of free cap space, but we are not alone.  Right now there are eight teams that are more than $30 million under the cap, and a further 8 teams with more than $20 million of cap space.

It is probably going to be a very poor year to get value for money in FA with so many teams with cap space chasing the top FA.  You can't just over pay a FA because that will cause a lot of lockerroom unrest with your existing players.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#1 : November 09, 2006, 07:24:24 PM

Great. That's just our frickin' luck. [banghead]

but even with that, if Gruden and Allen are in 2007 like most of think they will be, they will be fighting for their jobs. I think the Bucs will go out and spend the big$$$ to get one or more impact players. What else can they do?

#2 : November 09, 2006, 07:25:32 PM

now,now, look at this last off-season who were the major buyers? The Hawks for one, meanwhile teams who had cap room like the Packers didn't exactly light it up (other than C-Wood) you can nearly say the same about the Vikes.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 09, 2006, 07:26:10 PM

The Bucs WILL do well in FA this offseason. There is already a plan in place on how they will handle it, and they are going to be well-prepared.

#4 : November 09, 2006, 07:28:02 PM

The Bucs WILL do well in FA this offseason. There is already a plan in place on how they will handle it, and they are going to be well-prepared.
I agree, and remember we do have that whole 'state of the art training facility' and 'SB ring this decade' amongst other items that guys like Briggs and or Freeney may find very attractive, speaking of which Freeney struggling this year may be the best thing to happen to us or the absoloute worst, it means he's more affordable which probably means the Colts can re-sign him, not sure if they can re-up both him and Cato June however.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 09, 2006, 07:31:42 PM

BTW: Don't be surprised that the Bucs are going to lure a couple of guys here who aren't names like "Briggs" and "Freeney" but are going to do very well in their system, a couple of guys who are going to become bigger names once they join this club.

#6 : November 09, 2006, 07:33:56 PM

BTW: Don't be surprised that the Bucs are going to lure a couple of guys here who aren't names like "Briggs" and "Freeney" but are going to do very well in their system, a couple of guys who are going to become bigger names once they join this club.
that's a good point, we shouldn't just look at the big names, sometimes it's the 'system' guys who can really help a team more than anything.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 09, 2006, 07:35:13 PM

that's a good point, we shouldn't just look at the big names, sometimes it's the 'system' guys who can really help a team more than anything.

They have a couple of guys they plan to try and woo that fall into that category. Guys who will be had at a reasonable price, but will produce quite well in the system.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 09, 2006, 07:46:45 PM

I think you are right that there will be big time inflation of player salaries this offseason.  But don't forget the Bucs will make even more room by getting rid of Rice, Alstott, Simms, maybe Quarles and even possibly the retirement of Brooks.  The bad news is that those are some big shoes to fill.

I expect the Bucs to make a splash with at least one big time blue chip defensive free agent, because with the decline of Rice and Brooks we desperately need one.  The rest may be the fill in guys you talk about.   I don't think they'll take the "Lets see who falls through the cracks" approach.  I think they will go right after the person they want, and if that person hesitates they will go right after the next guy. 

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#9 : November 09, 2006, 10:37:32 PM

yeah, but we don't have anyone worth re-signing to eat much of that cap space LOL

#10 : November 10, 2006, 08:49:15 AM

I think everyone is expecting the Bucs to make a splash in FA with over $25 million of free cap space, but we are not alone.  Right now there are eight teams that are more than $30 million under the cap, and a further 8 teams with more than $20 million of cap space.

It is probably going to be a very poor year to get value for money in FA with so many teams with cap space chasing the top FA.  You can't just over pay a FA because that will cause a lot of lockerroom unrest with your existing players.

Yep.  The new CBA has bumped the Salary Cap by a huge amount.  We will have to spend money intelligently, which, as we all know,  is Gruden/Allen's forte.  ;)

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 10, 2006, 09:14:16 AM

MJS I was thinking the samething last night. We are not he only guys with cap space and I hope we can influence these guys (whoever they may choose to bring in) to joing the BUCS. Its not out of the realm of possibility that they don't come here as there are so many other teams with cap space as well.

We really need to be active bringing in quality young guys and they are out there.

Baghead #2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 10, 2006, 09:29:01 AM

Quite a few of the guys that are scheduled to be FA this year will probably be re-signed by their existing team before FA starts.  It the last month there has already been two or three players sign new multi-year deals.

For the ones that test FA the competition for the better players will drive the salaries through the roof.  If you get in a bidding war and overpay players the rest of the squad will be lined up outside Allen’s office asking for more.   

Obviously some will consider other things like location and the prospect of playing for a championship contending team.  One Buc is a great selling point but the premier players want to win a ring, and it will be tough convincing anyone that the Bucs are capable of that.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 11, 2006, 01:49:34 AM

Briggs plays in a Tampa 2.  So does Freeney.

They fit the scheme perfectly. ;)

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 12, 2006, 08:05:43 AM

Are there going to be any worthwhile Centers on the Free Agent Market?

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Salary Cap info for FA « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools