Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Starting QB's Draft positions « previous next »
Page: 1

coopsxx

Starter
: November 10, 2006, 12:48:18 AM

Despite decent performance there are many who doubt Grads long term ability to become a successfull QB basded on his 6th round status and are pushing for us too look towards drafting a QB in the first round next year, so i thought i would see where the NFL starting QBs were dfrated.

NFC
North
Bears - Grossman - 1
Lions - Kitna - UND
Vikings - Johnson - 9
Packers - Favre - 2

South
Bucs - Gradkowski - 6
Falcons - Vick - 1
Panthers - Delhomme - UND
Saints - Brees - 2

East
Cowboys - Romo - UND
Redskins - Brunell - 5
Eagles - McNabb - 1
Giants - Manning - 1

West
Seahawks - Hasselbeck - 6
Rams - Bulger - 6
49ers' - Smith - 1
Cardinals - Leinart - 1

AFC
North
Steelers - Rothlisberger - 1
Ravens - McNair - 1
Bengals - Palmer - 1
Browns - Frye - 2

South
Colts - Manning - 1
Titans - Young - 1
Texans - Carr - 1
Jaguars - Leftwich - 1

East
Patriots - Brady - 6
Dolphins - Harrington - 1
Bills - Losman - 1
Jets - Pennington - 1

West
Chiefs - Huard - UND
Raiders - Walter - 3
Chargers - Rivers - 1
Broncos - Plummer - 2

23/32 are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th rounders.

4 are 6th rounders
1 9th rounder
4 are undrafted

1,2,3,5th rounders (22) have 5 SB appearances, 2 rings
(Rothlisberger, Mcnabb, Mcnair, Favre (2) | Favre (1), Roth)

the other 9 have, 6th appearances, 4 rings
(brady 3, Johnson, Hasselbeck, Delhomme | Brady (3), Johnson)

coopsxx

Starter
#1 : November 10, 2006, 03:46:38 PM

no opinions?

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#2 : November 10, 2006, 05:04:43 PM

Its the luck of the draw, but there is something to be said about what physical and mental tools each QB has, such as size, arm strength, accuracy, smarts, mobililty. If you take Grad's he is not ideal size, does not have a great arm, seems pretty smart and is mobile, is credited with accuracy, but so was Shaun King, and if you take throws from 5 yards and factor them in with deep throws I don't think he can be considered accurate.
A lot of the undrafted and late round QB's (other than Brady) are no in the same leauge as Manning, Palmer and McNabb. I think its like all things if you do something long enough you get pretty good at it, like Vinny he was terrible when he was here but after years, and year , ok and years he becme a decent QB. I personally neer thought of Brunell, Bulger or even Hasselbeck as great QB, Hasselbeck is a system QB with a top RB backing him up.
Its easy to see that the QB's taken in the first 3 rounds are better as a whole than those taken 4 - up.
One problem I had with Griese is he was so boring, all those dump off's, but at least we won some of those, Grad's has the same dump off passing style, but we don't win, and I can't imagine a circumstance where it would win on a constant basis. JMO

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 10, 2006, 05:54:46 PM

Its the luck of the draw, but there is something to be said about what physical and mental tools each QB has, such as size, arm strength, accuracy, smarts, mobililty. If you take Grad's he is not ideal size, does not have a great arm, seems pretty smart and is mobile, is credited with accuracy, but so was Shaun King, and if you take throws from 5 yards and factor them in with deep throws I don't think he can be considered accurate.

You conveniently leave off the one thing that can't be taught, mental toughness.  Grads is a quick learn, he is tough and he has a charisma that makes him a natural leader.  Grads is not known for 5 yard "dump-off' passes, that is just something that Gruden runs a lot.  He is very accurate on the intermediate passes, and hopefully when the O-line improves and he gets a bit more experience we will see a more adventurous game plan.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 10, 2006, 05:57:23 PM

Despite decent performance there are many who doubt Grads long term ability to become a successfull QB basded on his 6th round status and are pushing for us too look towards drafting a QB in the first round next year, so i thought i would see where the NFL starting QBs were dfrated.

Good stuff coopsxx....it just highlights the idiocy of some people's argument.

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

#5 : November 10, 2006, 07:55:20 PM

I'm not sure you can consider Leftwich the starter in Jax anymore.

umguy1999

Practice Squad

#6 : November 10, 2006, 08:22:43 PM

I left out mental toughness because for one I didn't think of it, and two you can have the most mental toughness in the world, but if you don't have the tools what good is it?

OH And he is known for going to his check down (he loves to on 3rd and long) , sorry did I offend you with improper term.?

I am not sure if you go to the games or not, but if you do can you honestly tell me you don't see open WR's and see him go to Smith, Caddy or Alstott, and not even good throws at that.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 10, 2006, 08:34:30 PM

I left out mental toughness because for one I didn't think of it, and two you can have the most mental toughness in the world, but if you don't have the tools what good is it?

OH And he is known for going to his check down (he loves to on 3rd and long) , sorry did I offend you with improper term.?

I am not sure if you go to the games or not, but if you do can you honestly tell me you don't see open WR's and see him go to Smith, Caddy or Alstott, and not even good throws at that.

I would take the guy with strong character and mental toughness and average ability ahead of the gifted guy without the mental attributes.   

Four months in to his NFL career is way too early to truly judge his play.  Sure he is missing open receivers, but Simms was here over three years and he still wasn't getting through his progressions.  Grads needs to learn and improve, but until he starts regressing he will be the starter.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#8 : November 11, 2006, 12:40:17 PM

To win in the NFL, you need a guy who is smart, decisive, accurate, and unflappable. If you have that, you can win football games. There are other attributes that you would like to have in your QB but you don't really need them; arm strength, mobility, size, etc.

I think Gradkowski has what he needs. He doesn't have a lot in the way of what would be nice to have but you can be a leader and an NFL QB without arm strength, size, etc.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#9 : November 11, 2006, 12:58:22 PM

no opinions?
What's your point??? Take away Brady, and the category your trying to convince us of greatness has 1 SB ring.

coopsxx

Starter
#10 : November 11, 2006, 01:49:11 PM

no opinions?
What's your point??? Take away Brady, and the category your trying to convince us of greatness has 1 SB ring.

yeh but thats 8 who have 1 superbowl ring compared to the 22 top picks who only have 2 rings.

Tha fact that many have cited that Brady is the only elite qb in the bottom pick bunch, implies that the others have benefitted from a better team surrounding them than many of the top picks, which is a huge benefit of having a 6th round QB.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Starting QB's Draft positions « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools