Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Need a "Makeover" « previous next »
Page: 1

: November 10, 2006, 09:51:46 PM

You've heard the term, in many ways, in a variety of situations. Maybe it is something of a cosmetic nature for the "Plain Jane" next door, who in a metamorphic moment becomes the hottest chick on the block. It could be that blase house on the corner that transforms from $80,000 on the market to $150,000.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers need a transformation of their own. A significant "makeover" , if you will.

So where does GM Bruce Allen begin this mighty task?................

http://www.nflfans.com/buccaneers1/article.php?story=20061110193024312

creekchub00

Starter

#1 : November 10, 2006, 09:54:18 PM

Much agreed on Bill Muir, he has had lots of talent and seems not to be able ot get the best out of them for years.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 10, 2006, 10:11:56 PM

I think Muir has not had talent to work with, and he isn't capable of coaching guys up, to become better players.  Why get rid of Fonoti, to have Mahan become incumbent?  Why sit Jeb Terry?  Because he is in a "doghouse?"  I think the team suffers for it, we all know Terry is a better lineman than Mahan. 

Muir has his consumate excuse:  I don't have enough to work with.

Well, his time is running out quick.  He has Blood and Davin on the right (1st and 2nd rounders), he has Buenning (who is out for what we suspect is injury), but has him replaced with Mahan?  And he can't fit FOnoti (who is a run smasher, but at least he can do that) into the plans? 

Muir isn't a good coach IMO simply because he can't coach.  A coach makes his guys better.  He turns blocks of marble into artwork.  He has an idea of a system, but he can't implement it for one reason or another.

Honestly, I am still sour of the loss of Fonoti.  The guy could hammer people, and made a ground game that much better.  Muir should have been able to do something with that guy.  Muir is overrated, but it is too bad Gruden likes the guy.

Talk a mean game, but bring some proof Muir.  So far, you have stunk the joint up.  And that is being polite.

#3 : November 10, 2006, 10:13:54 PM

Great post Boid....totally agree.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 10, 2006, 10:23:44 PM

We should have hired Hudson Houck when San Diego let his contract expire.  He has a proven track record.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 10, 2006, 10:25:26 PM

We should have hired Hudson Houck when San Diego let his contract expire. He has a proven track record.

I wouldn't have cared if we hired the "guiness idiots" (Brilliant!).  My distrust of Muir, based on all I have seen and read (mostly from you guys at the PR), lends me to believe he is a sham.

Now, on to Bisaccia...

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 10, 2006, 10:48:04 PM

Bucs don't just need a makeover, they need an identity

gone

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 11, 2006, 12:11:47 AM

Nice article prefer.  People seem to forget that muir was actually hired before Gru.  While there are few that support muir, alot of the issues with the o-line are laid at Jon's feet by many bashers.  Muir's continued employment suerly goes down as one of the greatest mysteries of Buc history...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 11, 2006, 12:40:05 AM

We should have hired Hudson Houck when San Diego let his contract expire.  He has a proven track record.

Doesn't he work for the Dolphins now?  And didn't the Dolphins sign Fonoti to see what he has left in the gas tank?  And Jackson was scooped up from the practice squad to the Texans active roster.  Muir is a poor talent evaluator it seems.....

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#9 : November 11, 2006, 04:11:20 PM

Muir is to Gruden as Mike Shula was to Dungy.

Both stubborn coaches.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#10 : November 11, 2006, 04:34:10 PM

The defense needs the makeover. The offense just got made over. They just need experience.  We may add a C or LT in the 2nd or 3rd round, but for the most part you are looking at next years starting offense so get used to it. 

Monte doesn't like a lot of turnover, but he's going to have to like it. Lets see.

Safety: One new starter.
 Allen is young, and they'll give him another year.  Phillips should be a backup.  His contract is such that we can afford to keep him around as a backup, and if there's an injury we have an experienced player to step in.  I think we'll get one starter via free agency and one guy for the future in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft.

CB:  One new starter. 
Obviously Barber is safe, but the other spot will be fought over by a free agent pickup and 2nd round draft pick.  Probably the free agent will get the job until the 2nd rounder is ready to start.

D-Line:  Two new starters.   
Hovan and White will be starting somewhere.  Wyms and White will fight for one DE spot, probably White will start.  Rice is gone and I think Wyms will better serve us as a backup because of his versatility.  I think we draft a DE/DT in round one who can step in and start, and we fill in the other one with a big time free agent. 

LB:  Two new starters: 
Ruud will be a new starter at MLB.  I don't think Brooks has another year left in him, and he should retire.  I hope Winborn can step in there, but in any case I have a feeling we will have to find another guy at OLB.

So thats over half of the defensive starters turned over, so yes I think that fits into the "makeover" category.

#11 : November 11, 2006, 05:46:54 PM

Itch

The defense was next on my list.  And you are right.  It needs a bigger makeover.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 11, 2006, 07:25:43 PM

I was just thinking that one problem on offense is moving to a right handed QB after basically practising forever for Simms being QB.
Then with all the injuries etc.  When you get down  to it, the ploayers being fielded really have not played together that much.  And some flat our haven't been in NFL that along.  Maybe I could hope to see something gel and all of a sudden we start scoring ....Maybe Peyton could come over for a few games wearing
Grads shirt ( shave his head) oh well. 

bucnut

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 12, 2006, 11:10:18 AM

Good article Prefer, and I tend to agree with you on Muir.  He's basically run out of excuses, imho.  Let's get a real OL guy in here, or move Kromer up to OL coach.  I think we've got the making of a pretty good OL in the future, with a couple of holes to fill to possibly be VERY good. 

NFC South BBS Viva la Grudenistas!  GO GATORS!!!
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Need a "Makeover" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools