Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Report: McNabb says black QBs under more pressure « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

Buc31

Starter

: September 19, 2007, 01:21:43 PM

I think hes just trying to draw attention away from his bad qb play. Stop complaining and play football McNabb

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 18, 2007, 11:34:11 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3025308

McNabb, in an interview on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," tells interviewer James Brown that African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black QBs -- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

Later in the interview, Brown presses McNabb on criticism of his performance -- and if African-American QBs are graded more harshly.

"I pass for 300 yards, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,' " McNabb tells HBO.

"Doesn't every quarterback go through that?" Brown asks.

"Not everybody," McNabb replies.

Brown then asks if the media is tougher on him than on white quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb tells HBO. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

In the interview, McNabb also talks to Brown about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

"Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb tells HBO. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

What, is it hard for you to be classy? You try to handle yourself with class?

Uggh, people have blasted Peyton on a number of things, just so happens he and Brady are two of the best QB's in the history of the NFL. If McNabb was as good as them he would be put on that level as well, just so happens he isn't as good, period.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 18, 2007, 11:38:22 AM

No one supposes that this added pressure he feels is because many in the media are looking and hoping for a great black QB?

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#3 : September 18, 2007, 11:46:34 AM

What he is saying is true. Go to Philadelphia and tell me what the people there say.

McNabb is a great QB, by the way, and I would be just as happy to have him as I would to have Palmer.

nybuccguy

Pro Bowler
#4 : September 18, 2007, 11:47:11 AM

Â   What a load of crap. He gets a lot of pressure because he cant win the big game.  Mike Vick was glamorized by the media for 7 or 8 years with no production to back it up.
 Â    McNabb has always been criticized by Philly fans since the day he was drafted. I find it really sad that he cant handle the pressure of the NFL and his losing football team, so he is using race as a scapegoat.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#5 : September 18, 2007, 11:47:36 AM

For me, whether the QB is black or white, makes no difference. It is whether he is playing winning football
at the QB position. DMac has a history of not playing a full season over the past five years.

That is one reason he is
criticized. Brady and Manning DO NOT MISS GAMES.

More sour grapes by DMac, IMO.  [banghead]

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 18, 2007, 11:49:49 AM

What he is saying is true. Go to Philadelphia and tell me what the people there say.

McNabb is a great QB, by the way, and I would be just as happy to have him as I would to have Palmer.

I think that has more to do with Philly fans being jerks than it does McNabb being black

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#7 : September 18, 2007, 11:51:46 AM

The Jets fans cheered when Pennington got hurt. Eli has gotten more criticism than McNabb could dream of. How many national media outlets have lambasted Grossman?

Every bit of criticism he refers to has been said about EVERY QB. It's called being in the spotlight.

Palmer and Manning get less criticism because THEY ARE BETTER.

Also, QBs in Philly, Boston, and NY are going to be under a brighter spotlight than QBs in Cincy or Indy, just like A-Rod get more criticism in NY than he did out west.

Race is not an issue.  That's my opinion.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#8 : September 18, 2007, 11:51:56 AM

I think that has more to do with Philly fans being jerks than it does McNabb being black

They're bigger jerks because he IS black.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 18, 2007, 11:53:25 AM

Oh really, Donavan? Tell that to Rex Grossman and see what he has to say.

BucJam07

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 18, 2007, 11:58:32 AM

Who is he talking about?

The few black QB's in this league get criticized because they're all average at best QB's. They get no more blame or questioning then the white Trent Green got for his 4 INT's for Miami against whomever they played on Sunday.

This shi* is getting really old. You play in a league that expects W's from it's QB's and Head Coaches.....It's a shame you can't deliver the Big W, it's definetly not your dark skin but rather the dark space between your ears that has lost those games Mr. McNott.

You Can't Spell SCUM Without The

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#11 : September 18, 2007, 12:02:18 PM

well that explains it .. chris simms must be black.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#12 : September 18, 2007, 12:03:15 PM

I can't imagine what it must be like to be a white running back...

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#13 : September 18, 2007, 12:05:39 PM

what is this thing you speak of?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : September 18, 2007, 12:06:18 PM

what is this thing you speak of?
Exactly.

Brian Leonard must be facing a TON of scrutiny.... ;)

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Report: McNabb says black QBs under more pressure « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools