Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Which Postions Should Be Targeted The Most In The Draft? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : November 12, 2006, 07:14:03 AM

The top 3 positions to look at in the draft are DE,DT, and WR.

Even if the Bucs sign a DE in FA (and re-sign Dewayne White) they will still need another pass rusher if Rice is shipped out. I like Wyms as a starter for the short term but I would like to see the Bucs add a pass rushing DT with talent they can develope for the long term. Clayton is producing as a possesion receiver but he is not dynamic nor a big play threat anymore. His YPC leaves a lot to be disired but at least he is showing signs he is improving compared to last year and he is still a good run blocker. I like Stovall's upside and I am not about to give up on this kid without seeing him on the field. The Bucs need to add a WR that brings speed and the element of the big play to compliment those two.

Secondary needs would be OLB, CB, C, S, FB.
I agree with WR being a need but it is NOT a bigger need than our defense IMO. We've spent enough high picks on the offense, now it's time to revamp the defense. I could MAYBE see us add a Day 1 receiver if we hit big in FA (Briggs, Clements, etc.) but only then.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#16 : November 12, 2006, 08:08:56 AM

Anything that has the word 'LINE' in it. Offensive 'LINE', defensive 'LINE' immediatedly come to mind. What the hell is the sense of having a 'Caddy' when he can't get out of the garage. I know there are other needs but until we get stout on both sides of the ball, we could have Jim Brown and **CENSORED** Butkus and still suck.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#17 : November 12, 2006, 09:01:46 AM

The top 3 poitions I would say are ROLB, SS, and RE. We need to the future are ROLB. With Brooks only having about 1 year left in him after this one. And for SS we just need an upgrade. Simeon Rice is are starting RE and for how much he is getting paid he is just not preforming. He will be cut or traded garunteed.

I would add DT and subtract SS for our list of primary needs.  Safeties are the last line of defense, therefore its tough to hide their deficiencies. I admit that this is a strong draft class at the safety position, but I'm not crazy about the idea of starting from scratch with another inexperienced player back there.  Lets take advantage of a strong FA safety group ( Michael Lewis, Gibril Wilson, Ken Hamlin) and sign a experienced starter to plug in back there.  All three of those guys are still in their mid to late twenties BTW.  So i would say that DE, DT, WLB are three of our biggest needs on draft day for the following reasons:
DE: Both of our starters are overpaid based on their production and they're on the wrong side of 30.  White is young and has upside but he is a FA. 
DT: Booger is gone, Hovan is a good run stuffing NT but lacks pass rushing ability. Wyms is solid but is having injury problems.  The FA DT group is weak so drafting this player is the way to go IMO. 
WLB:  Brooks is clearly on the descent.  The team supposedly likes Winborn yet he has been inactive for multiple games this year. Actions speak louder then words.  I dont think we'll pull the rug out from beneath Brooks by signing a splashy FA like Briggs, so I think we'll draft his replacement.  that way it will be clear that we'll be passing the torch soon but Brooks will be able to have a swan song in 2007 as the rookie is groomed under him. 

I think QB, CB, WR and LT are needs too, but I think we can address those secondary needs in FA or a little later in the draft.  I think we are targeting Nate Clements at CB and we have the money to pay him this year.   we need to sign a vet QB to push Bruce.  WR (deep threat) and LT are the only two offensive positions i'd be willing to spend a day 1 pick on given our other needs. this should be a defensive heavy draft for us, especially on day 1. In the end, we really need some youth and athleticism on the d-line, so I really hope we spend 2 high picks there.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : November 12, 2006, 09:37:51 AM

Anything that has the word 'LINE' in it. Offensive 'LINE', defensive 'LINE' immediatedly come to mind. What the hell is the sense of having a 'Caddy' when he can't get out of the garage. I know there are other needs but until we get stout on both sides of the ball, we could have Jim Brown and **CENSORED** Butkus and still suck.
Finally.

Some reason.

(except the Caddy in the garage reference...)

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 12, 2006, 10:04:15 AM

I agree The LEFT side of the line next year needs its makeover.. including the center..

Our Defense TOTALLY needs to be made over as well.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Which Postions Should Be Targeted The Most In The Draft? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools