Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why do people think Allen answers to Gruden? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#45 : November 13, 2006, 02:07:49 PM

Allen doesn't even have the power to initiate that discussion unlike in most other cities.

I'm sorry, but that's not correct.

gone

Hall of Famer
#46 : November 13, 2006, 03:13:57 PM

Allen handles the business end
Jon (and Monte, to an extent) handle the football end
Different jobs.

Bruce was brought in because he had a history of working well together with gruden, not to be his puppet.
It's (IMO) prety clear what the heirarchy is here:
Glazers
ALLEN   <|> GRUDEN
While in many org charts the GM may technicly be over the coach, that's not the case everywhere.  It's very rarely the case when you have a coach that is considered one of the 'elite' coaches.  And whether you agree with it or not, Gruden is generally considered to be that.  The shine is wearing off, but he had the Raiders within 1 awful call of going to the SB (yes and a game but realisticly...) and one SB win.  In cases where you have a coach with that rep, the GM typically doesn't have the leverage over him, because you can get a GM more easily than a coach of that level.

So Bruce does his part, Gruden does his.  The fact that they get along, and work TOGETHER, rather than being at each other's throats is, for some odd reason, a problem for some people.

Remember, the media played the McKay-Gruden feud as "Saint Rich vs. Jon Sidious".  And when Allen came, he was immediately cast as Jon's Vader.  That's just a media narrative, not the actuality.  We all know now how much of a saint McKay was, but once the narrative is started, it can't be changed, writers can't say they were wrong...

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#47 : November 13, 2006, 05:11:08 PM

I'd like to know who you guys think is running things besides Gruden? Any one else to point the finger at for this god awful season?

I think that the Glazer sons, Bruce Allen, John gruden and possibly Monte Kiffin work extremely closely day to day as well as strategically Those boys have a lot invested, are great owners and fully participate in giving Allen & gruden what they need to be successful. Time to transition the team into the future is probably the biggest resource that they can and do give them.IMHO

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#48 : November 13, 2006, 05:14:45 PM

The Glazers fully realize the draft pick debt they put this team in by trading for Jon Gruden. If they hadn't done it, there would be no championship trophy at One Buc Palace. Knowing that, knowing how less-than-spectacular the previous GM had drafted, and knowing how cap-strapped the team has been, they understand that patience is necessary to get this thing back on track. They also know that next year prospects look a whole lot better on the draft and cap fronts--and based on that they expect that Gruden, Allen, et al must deliver to remain employed.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#49 : November 13, 2006, 07:36:10 PM

Simple question, can Allen fire Gruden? Does he have that authority? Answer: no. Allen was brought here to serve Gruden. There's no doubt Allen isn't the final say on the matter like most other teams. I know folks spin the whole "teamwork" thing like the PR boys did in that crotch-nuzzling bit last year but I work really well with my boss as well. That working relationship says nothing about the necessary power relationship whihc is what the question here is about.

Yes Of course Allen has the authority. Do not forget the Glazers are in charge. And if he disobeys them he will be sent packing just like Mckay. :o :o :o
ROTFLMAO!!! Allen is Gruden's lap dog---whether you suck ups, uh, fans admit it or not. Why did Allen come here---cuz Gruden is here! DUH!!!

gone

Hall of Famer
#50 : November 13, 2006, 07:37:16 PM

Simple question, can Allen fire Gruden? Does he have that authority? Answer: no. Allen was brought here to serve Gruden. There's no doubt Allen isn't the final say on the matter like most other teams. I know folks spin the whole "teamwork" thing like the PR boys did in that crotch-nuzzling bit last year but I work really well with my boss as well. That working relationship says nothing about the necessary power relationship whihc is what the question here is about.

Yes Of course Allen has the authority. Do not forget the Glazers are in charge. And if he disobeys them he will be sent packing just like Mckay. :o :o :o
 ROTFLMAO!!!!!  Who came 1st---Gruden or Allen??  Allen is Gru's lap dog--whether you suck ups...uh, fans admit it or not! Jeez--open your eyes! WHY did Allen come here?  Cuz  Gruden is here----DUH!!!
You really are absolutely clueless, aren't you?

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#51 : November 13, 2006, 07:43:56 PM

No, I would say you are.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#52 : November 13, 2006, 07:44:27 PM

Allen is Gru's lap dog--whether you suck ups...uh, fans admit it or not! Jeez--open your eyes! WHY did Allen come here?  Cuz  Gruden is here----DUH!!!

Bruce Allen was the NFL's 2002 Executive of the Year. He had a pretty decent resume.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#53 : November 13, 2006, 07:54:25 PM

Allen is Gru's lap dog--whether you suck ups...uh, fans admit it or not! Jeez--open your eyes! WHY did Allen come here? Cuz Gruden is here----DUH!!!

Bruce Allen was the NFL's 2002 Executive of the Year. He had a pretty decent resume.
Was there a committee to decide on our next GM? No, he accidentally came here with his former HC. Just accidental.

#54 : November 13, 2006, 07:56:06 PM

Allen is Gru's lap dog--whether you suck ups...uh, fans admit it or not! Jeez--open your eyes! WHY did Allen come here? Cuz Gruden is here----DUH!!!

Was there a committee to decide on our next GM? No, he accidentally came here with his former HC. Just accidental.
you don't think that Mike Holmgren didn't handpick his 'GM'?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#55 : November 13, 2006, 08:00:18 PM

Apparently you don't understand the concept of NFL ownership. No committees are necessary, they hire who they want and they don't hire who they DON'T want.

#56 : November 13, 2006, 08:15:26 PM

you don't think that Mike Holmgren didn't handpick his 'GM'?

Mike Holmgren had his GM duties stripped from him after a 7-9 season when ownership felt that he was wearing too many "hats".

Seahawks president Bob Whitsitt chose Ferguson from a field of candidates that included Ted Thompson, Seahawks VP of football operations; Bill Kuharich, director of pro personnel for the Kansas City Chiefs; and former New Orleans Saints general manager Randy Mueller. 

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/SEA/6180599
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why do people think Allen answers to Gruden? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools