Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What to makle of this picture? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

#15 : September 24, 2007, 02:13:44 AM

This is an unbelievable picture. What can be said about this picture. Can you imagine a player doing that to Ditka, Reid, Cowher, Del Rio, Denny Green, Holmgren...what can be read into this picture? Even a guy like Dungy who you know isn't going to rip anyone's head off I can't imagine that being done. Did Clayton step over the line, or does Gruden accept this stuff? Gruden being the emotional guy he is, maybe understands and accepts this kind of behavior, knowing the players feel the same emotion? Or is this flat out disrespect? I'd like to see a time line of photos. I saw the confrontation on the side line, but the TV panned over once the argument started. I wonder if the argument was started because of this, or if this during it. I don't remember seeing Mike grab Jon during their sideline argument on TV.

This is men acting like day time TV watching middle aged women at its finest. Really, it wasn't a big deal. Gruden said what any coach in his poition needed to say (whatever it was, the tone was the key), and Clayton responded in a positive and "coachable" fashion like he always does. Simple as that. Java I love how you let it be known you havent actually watched the game, but then proceed to give us a defnitive opinion on the situation. Brilliant!

Clayton might have been a littler too touchy feely for the situation, but it was all love on Clayton's part. How could anyone assume Clayton wasnt being accountable? There is an easy way to spot a frustrated football player who 'isnt' being accountable. They are complaining, pouting, screaming, or not attentive when being screamed at by the coach. None of which I saw out of Clayton. I will stand in line with you guys if you wnat to bash CLayton for his play, but damn talk about making something out of nothing.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#16 : September 24, 2007, 02:22:13 AM

I am rewatching the game right now (yeah its late, whaddya want fight about it?), and the pic looks bad, but the entire instance was very fast, and Gruden is walking away from him and definitely chastising him.  After Clayton dropped the ball the second time, Garcia came over and patted him on the helmet, obviously telling him to let it go, and get your head in the game...

Granted, Clayton has absolutely no business being anywhere near Coach, much less pleading anything other than maybe he had temporary amnesia as to what he was doing out there.  Clayton sucks rocks as a wideout, and unless a new position is invented, like a blocking receiverbacker, he has no business being even looked at as a number 2 wideout. 

He seems to be growing disenchanted with his role as a Buc, and the fans (us) are very aware his sand is running out...

And when it does, farewell MC80.  Have fun playing for whatever team needs a receivertackle.

#17 : September 24, 2007, 02:27:05 AM

You would almost think the guy never had a 80 catch 1000 yard season as a rookie playing with 3 different QBs the way you speak about him

In all honesty, I tihnk Clayton is a good ways from being a starter but to completely give up on him as a receiver at this point is a little overboard I think. Just think if we wouldve done that to Jermaine Phillips, who as far as I remember never had a good season to fall back on as an excuse for keeping his job.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : September 24, 2007, 02:30:49 AM

You would almost think the guy never had a 80 catch 1000 yard season as a rookie playing with 3 different QBs the way you speak about him

In all honesty, I tihnk Clayton is a good ways from being a starter but to completely give up on him as a receiver at this point is a little overboard I think. Just think if we wouldve done that to Jermaine Phillips, who as far as I remember never had a good season to fall back on as an excuse for keeping his job.
Yeah, so now he has a QB that is putting the ball on the ZERO of his jersey, and he acts like it was a bag of flaming poop being thrown at him...and then when he does catch the ball, he decides that the ball needs to take a lil walk on the grass...

Clayton is washed up.  He does have his usefullness from moment to moment.  But as a wide out, he is simply not that good.  Can't you see that?  Maybe you are not watching the games?  He does nothing valuable with the ball.  NOTHING.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 24, 2007, 02:37:36 AM

If he could just have one good game, I think it would do wonders for his confidence. The problem with that is Gruden keeps giving him that chance and he keeps blowing it. We should try to swap him straight up for Jerry Porter, both guys clearly need a change of scenary.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#20 : September 24, 2007, 02:39:55 AM

If he could just have one good game, I think it would do wonders for his confidence. The problem with that is Gruden keeps giving him that chance and he keeps blowing it. We should try to swap him straight up for Jerry Porter, both guys clearly need a change of scenary.
Yeah, imagine Al Davis giving a nice talent like Porter away for free like that.

It is going to be hard for Gruden to get rid of Clayton because of his blocking, I can kind of sense that.

Problem is, he probably knows Clayton lacks any use as a wideout who actually has to catch something.

#21 : September 24, 2007, 02:47:51 AM

Can't you see that?  Maybe you are not watching the games?  .

Or maybe you missed this part....

I tihnk Clayton is a good ways from being a starter

We dont disagree on Clayton's level of play, I thought I made that clear. I just think it's funny that you think a 25 year old who has posted a 80 catch, 1000 yard season and is widely regarded by anyone who watches the games as one of the top 2-3 most physical guys at his position "washed up".

escobar

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 24, 2007, 02:48:25 AM

Well it's not like Porter is lighting the world on fire in Oakland. Anything can happen.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#23 : September 24, 2007, 02:53:27 AM

Can't you see that?  Maybe you are not watching the games?  .

Or maybe you missed this part....

I tihnk Clayton is a good ways from being a starter

We dont disagree on Clayton's level of play, I thought I made that clear. I just think it's funny that you think a 25 year old who has posted a 80 catch, 1000 yard season and is widely regarded by anyone who watches the games as one of the top 2-3 most physical guys at his position "washed up".
You may think it is funny, but I don't.

I actually watch the games.

And his nice season was a loooong time ago my man.  He hasnot done jack crap since then.

One touchdown.  ONE!

Earnest Graham just got his first TD of his career, so in a sense, he has been just as productive as Clayton has been.  And with his second, he has outperformed him... :-

Go look at Claytons numbers this year, and tell me why I can't say he is washed up.  I know I am wrong, because the coaches know a hell of a lot more than I do, but IMO he is really treading water here.

#24 : September 24, 2007, 03:02:04 AM

All i know, Jermaione Phillips (who I was huge on in 2003), got 3 full seasons (2004-2006) of shoddy play and was still the starter going into 2007. Not only did he miss tackles and coverage assignments regularly, the guy couldnt catch an STD in a bathhouse. He was given all of these chances and why? We didnt have a high draft pick invested in him. We didnt have substantial cash invested in him. He didnt have a 'great' season to fall back on. We stuck with him and he is seemingly converting on his opportunity and making the most of his talent. Maybe Im grasping at straws right now. Jermaine Phillips is not Michael Clayton. I still see investing more time in Clayton as high reward and low risk at this point. I mean its not like we are banking the season on him contributing anyways

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#25 : September 24, 2007, 03:09:34 AM

All i know, Jermaione Phillips (who I was huge on in 2003), got 3 full seasons (2004-2006) of shoddy play and was still the starter going into 2007. Not only did he miss tackles and coverage assignments regularly, the guy couldnt catch an STD in a bathhouse. He was given all of these chances and why? We didnt have a high draft pick invested in him. We didnt have substantial cash invested in him. He didnt have a 'great' season to fall back on. We stuck with him and he is seemingly converting on his opportunity and making the most of his talent. Maybe Im grasping at straws right now. Jermaine Phillips is not Michael Clayton. I still see investing more time in Clayton as high reward and low risk at this point. I mean its not like we are banking the season on him contributing anyways
True.

And I am sure that is what the coaches are obviously thinking.

We are both obviously aware he is sucking as a receiver who catches the ball.  IMO it hinders the entire team, but I hope he pulls his head out and comes up big from time to time.  It would be nice.

He is consistent though.  He regularly puts up nothing on the stat sheet, of note.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#26 : September 24, 2007, 03:12:44 AM

Not banking the season? Actually, I disagree. How much difference could a Clayton who could catch 60 passes for a handful of touchdowns make? A HUGE difference. But we're not asking him to be the 80-catch guy; heck, we're not even asking him to be Jacquez Green of 1999 and 2000 (back-to-back 50-catch seasons). Clayton right now is NOT on his own level of the last two seasons (30 something catches and only ONE TD in the two years combined). Given his low YPC, drops and fumbles per touches, his play is inexcusable.
Maybe Phillips didn't have anybody better to take his job and right now Clayton has the same advantage. But he's a liability and turnovers are something NO ONE can afford. He made a few good blocks so far in three games. Other than that, he's done nothing to justify his job.

In Verner We Trust

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#27 : September 24, 2007, 03:15:47 AM

Not banking the season? Actually, I disagree. How much difference could a Clayton who could catch 60 passes for a handful of touchdowns make? A HUGE difference. But we're not asking him to be the 80-catch guy; heck, we're not even asking him to be Jacquez Green of 1999 and 2000 (back-to-back 50-catch seasons). Clayton right now is NOT on his own level of the last two seasons (30 something catches and only ONE TD in the two years combined). Given his low YPC, drops and fumbles per touches, his play is inexcusable.
Maybe Phillips didn't have anybody better to take his job and right now Clayton has the same advantage. But he's a liability and turnovers are something NO ONE can afford. He made a few good blocks so far in three games. Other than that, he's done nothing to justify his job.
Pretty much sums it up right there Jersey.

Give us SOMETHING, ya know?

#28 : September 24, 2007, 03:17:40 AM

Not banking the season? Actually, I disagree.

Thats odd because you seem to be agreeing right here...

But we're not asking him to be the 80-catch guy; heck, we're not even asking him to be Jacquez Green of 1999 and 2000 (back-to-back 50-catch seasons).

Like I said, expectations are low for Clayton. When you play the way he did last year (and the year before), you are not being factored in as a necessity for winning ball games.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#29 : September 24, 2007, 04:30:55 AM

Before that picture, Clayton also got ripped a new on the field by Garcia.. so you know he was feeling it from both the field and the sidelines.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What to makle of this picture? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools