Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The "negative" local media « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

kimlogan

Second String

#15 : September 24, 2007, 01:50:27 PM

I read that as well. Any info on where it came from; imagination or did someone leak something to someone who leaked it to someone.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 24, 2007, 01:51:32 PM

I read that as well. Any info on where it came from; imagination or did someone leak something to someone who leaked it to someone.

There's no rift. None. Zip, nada.

Gruden and Garcia have much love and respect for one another, and they complement one another very, very well on game day.

T

Hall of Famer

#17 : September 24, 2007, 01:52:40 PM

McKay spoon feed the local media, Allen & Company don't.

My thing with the local media has always been -Why is everyone negative? It's boring and uncreative, at least one writer/media personlaity should be a little positive or objective when evaluating a team. Go ahead and say the Bucs haven't played anyone, neither has the Bears,Patriots, or Cowboys.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#18 : September 24, 2007, 01:58:36 PM

Its because they dont want the team to win. its a simple as that. Gruden and Allen are not liked by media members in tampa. They want to see a change. Its gotta be obvious by now.

kimlogan

Second String

#19 : September 24, 2007, 01:58:53 PM

Look at the line; Superbowl, 7-9, 5-11, 11-5, 4-12. How the hell are you supposed to know what to think. It has been a total crap shoot.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#20 : September 24, 2007, 02:00:28 PM

>> I think from a coaching standpoint you are probably inclined to look for the areas you can improve <<

So now the journalists are professional coaches as well? You honestly believe that it's better to point out negatives in order to get a positive result? I'm sure they feel it's their duty to show the coach and the team the error's of their ways. Bah! That's a pretty weak comeback.

It's fine to point out problems - but as Buchawk pointed out, finding problems that don't exist is not honest reporting and is frequently done by the local newspapers.  When a team wins 31 - 13 or 24 -3 - I better seem damn few negatives in the morning newspaper - in fact, I want to see some healthy optimism. What's wrong in making the people that pay for the paper feel good about their home team? Do the journalists feel the need to 'protect' from a severe case of happiness? Geez, how about - a reporter having the balls to admit that perhaps they were wrong? Ask Dr. Rick Stroud today about Simms and he would STILL say that Simms is suffering from perception (you have to trust him on this - in fact he said this just a couple of weeks ago) even though the Simms/team went through great pains to say that this didn't exist.

So are you part of the 'professional media' (and I wonder if you would have the balls to admit it if it were true)?

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : September 24, 2007, 02:02:35 PM

Nitey - would read better if you said "preseason favorites to favorites to get to the POSTseason".  And I agree with a lot of what you said.

And since there never was a rift between Garcia and Gruden the authors of that incidents would be what - creative, imaginative, disingenous (liars), pick whatever fits.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

nitey

Hall of Famer
#22 : September 24, 2007, 02:04:43 PM

>> Superbowl, 7-9, 5-11, 11-5, 4-12. How the hell are you supposed to know what to think. <<

Read the insider articles from PR - while they may have a positive bias, they in fact report more of the 'truth' than anything the real media thinks about. Scott and Jim will call out the players and the team when it's necessary - but they don't make unsubstancated rumors either.

kimlogan

Second String

#23 : September 24, 2007, 02:05:10 PM

My point was that I think coaches look for areas needing improvement rather than areas they are successful; thus being much more prepared to handle the negative questions. Not in the media, just a fan who used to coach football many years ago.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#24 : September 24, 2007, 02:05:36 PM

dbuc - noted. Your version would read better. Thanks!

nitey

Hall of Famer
#25 : September 24, 2007, 02:07:33 PM

kim,

If the reports were written for the coaches, then I would agree. However, articles are written for the fans - most coaches/players profess to not even read the newspapers - so the points are not getting to the target audience.

kimlogan

Second String

#26 : September 24, 2007, 02:14:04 PM

My point is directed to the negative questions asked during interviews or press conferences. I would think that Gruden is very prepared for these since he expects them plus he probably has looked at the same areas himself in his evaluation.

superbuc

Practice Squad
#27 : September 24, 2007, 02:18:43 PM

I guess I kind of echo nitey and others.  Both the local and the national media should know by now that almost every year you get a cinderella story or 2 so I don't buy the inconsistency arguement.  I'm not asking for every preseason article to hail the Bucs as superbowl contenders, I'm asking for objective reporting.  

I give Shelton and Fennelly a little bit more leeway because they're columnists paid to write their opinions.  Cummings, Stroud, and JP are supposed reporters who often lace those reports with heavy opinion.  I'm not asking for "pewter colored" reports - give me some good, some bad.  They were all negative, all the time this offseason and I'm glad folks are making their voices known.  

I often quote Stephen Holder here because he is one that writes like a real journalist.

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#28 : September 24, 2007, 02:24:10 PM

The interesting thing about the last two wins is that it has shocked and disappointed some of the writers who were forecasting (and hoping for) doom this season with predictions of 5-11 and 6-10. I see it on their faces up in the press box and in the press conferences. Things aren't going according to "their plans."

I don't buy this "they report the news" stuff at all. Without a doubt, there are certain writers who have agendas that aren't happy about the Bucs being 2-1. I've seen it with my own eyes.

The main media stories that overshadowed the win against the Saints were Brooks not speaking to the media (what a silly story, too) and the supposed Gruden-Garcia playcalling rift (which is bogus). This week, instead of mentioning how the Bucs are a surprise 2-1 team, the story will be about trying to create a RB controversy between Cadillac and Graham. Gruden will be blamed for not playing Graham more often and there might even be some mention as to how Williams is a Gruden guy and Graham is a McKay guy. I remember hearing that at the stadium yesterday in the press box.

I'm fine with the basic premise of suggesting that Graham get some more carries if Williams doesn't break out and stop fumbling, but to try to create a controversy is just looking for a negative angle in my opinion.

kimlogan

Second String

#29 : September 24, 2007, 02:26:08 PM

I do like Holder as well. Romano still hasn't come off his less than positve outlook. Shelton seems to be waffling. I appreciate them for what they are worth. But I do think there is reason for the negativity. I really hope that they all eat a big piece of crow when all is said and done.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The "negative" local media « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools