Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The "negative" local media « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#30 : September 24, 2007, 02:27:13 PM

http://www.tbo.com/sports/

Where's the negative spin? There's your local online version of sports and the headline says the team is finding an identity and the article is positive about the future. I think you guys just love to pick on the media to prove your points. If my job was to interview a guy who wasn't open with me and didn't like helping me do my job after the previous guy was nice and helped me do my job I think I'd want it to go back to the way it was before also. Nobody likes people who make their job harder.

By the way, the record doesn't look like a crapshoot, it looks like three losing seasons with no playoff wins. Oh, and check this out if you're wondering why Gruden's record here draws a lot of attention...

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=coachbio&coach_id=18

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#31 : September 24, 2007, 02:27:21 PM

Whoa, let's not give the local media kudos for being positive when you HAVE to be positive. Two wins, margin of victory 38 points and anything less than this comes across as idiotic. If the Bucs lose the next two, do you think the anti-Gruden vibe will come back? Absolutely. But that's not even the point in terms of the agenda.
Dungy shouldn't even be an issue in this town anymore. He's in his SIXTH (you got it, sixth) year with Indy now. He did a nice job in Tampa Bay, especially in 1997 and 1999. But to romanticize what he did is revisionist history. In Week 4 2000, the Bucs were No. 1 in many NFL Power Rankings. From that point on, there were some glorious moments (MNF vs. Rams was the best example), but the Bucs went 7-7 the rest of that year (including a bad playoff loss) and then 9-8 in 2001 (including the second-most humiliating playoff loss in team history, behind only the 38-0 whupping at the hands of Dallas in Jan., 1982). The local media have helped sow the anti-Gruden seeds apparent through a large part of our fan base because of the perception of this era. And that hurts us all.
THEY called him a genius, silly given that he won just one title, but also a setup when an aging team took the appropriate step back the following season (aided by injuries and some fluke plays). Before 2004, all the wrong moves were made, but the venom against a coach that was only a year removed from a championship that no one had the right to expect was a classic case of piling on.  Add a lack of particularly good PR skills and you have a pattern: the old coach was better, the new coach ran the golden boy GM out of town, we'll be better off when the new coach is gone.

Well, Dungy and Gruden are both pretty good coaches, neither of them great, but both pretty good when they have something to work with. Gruden did wonders in 2005, but rather than emphasize how good of a job he was doing, the perspective was more one of 'They haven't played anybody. They're really an 8-8 team in an 11-5 body.'' Euphoria lasted a week after a division title when the Bucs lost a heartbreaking playoff game and in the offseason you wouldn't have thought they won anything at all. Then once the roof began to cave in in 2006, the negativity was quicker and louder than it normally would be.
Now two convincing wins and the media's high on the Bucs? We'll see. You don't have to lie to be unfair. You can leave out pieces of information that tell the whole story. You can slant it the way you want. You can predict negative things when a positive is warranted then cover your tracks if you're wrong.
The Bucs have few friends nationally because the Old Guard of writers want their old-time teams to succeed (Steelers, Eagles, Giants, Cowboys, etc.). The local media doesn't need to be homers, but to be too far the other way in bad or neutral times won't help them and it won't help us.

In Verner We Trust

#32 : September 24, 2007, 02:27:57 PM

"Coach Gruden, when did you stop beating your wife?"

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#33 : September 24, 2007, 02:31:12 PM

Did everyone see the Chuck Meter in this morning's Trib - the purpose is what?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#34 : September 24, 2007, 02:34:02 PM

Chuck Meter?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#35 : September 24, 2007, 02:36:14 PM

Chuck Meter?

Should have said Chucky - yea - a meter showing how he is doing on keeping his job - it was crass.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#36 : September 24, 2007, 02:37:31 PM

Should have said Chucky - yea - a meter showing how he is doing on keeping his job - it was crass.

I don't read the local papers much, it's usually crap. So what's the Chucky Meter on?

kimlogan

Second String

#37 : September 24, 2007, 02:39:25 PM

Scott, obviously we don't have your insight on motives, so I won't even go there. I was one of the first posters yesterday to say that hey, are we back. I love this team. I think Caddy has to be open game based on his performance. I could care less about the angle with which it is spun. He is becomming a liability. So is Clayton. I don't care who's guy they are, they should be fair game for debate.

superbuc

Practice Squad
#38 : September 24, 2007, 02:39:57 PM

http://www.tbo.com/sports/

Where's the negative spin? There's your local online version of sports and the headline says the team is finding an identity and the article is positive about the future. I think you guys just love to pick on the media to prove your points. If my job was to interview a guy who wasn't open with me and didn't like helping me do my job after the previous guy was nice and helped me do my job I think I'd want it to go back to the way it was before also. Nobody likes people who make their job harder.

By the way, the record doesn't look like a crapshoot, it looks like three losing seasons with no playoff wins. Oh, and check this out if you're wondering why Gruden's record here draws a lot of attention...

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=coachbio&coach_id=18

That's a column and not my point at all.  Look at the first "report" on the blog right now:

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C546/  - exactly as SR says - they're trying to start a RB controversy - I listened to the PC live; the first 5-6 questions were the same question over and over about RBs.  Yeah, you can ask about Caddy's ribs and if Graham will play more, but, isn't one question about each enough?!  

How about asking what he or Kiffin have done differently this year as opposed to last year.  How about asking about the Panthers.  How about asking how the rain affected play calling.  How about asking about the OL.  How about the DL.  How about Ruud's play.  How about anything but 5 questions about who will carry the ball?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : September 24, 2007, 02:42:49 PM

I don't read the local papers much, it's usually crap. So what's the Chucky Meter on?

Three faces - one happy, one preplexed, one with a scowl - it was on happy - but the implication is what it is - bs. 

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#40 : September 24, 2007, 02:45:18 PM

>> But remember they were consistently successful for the majority of the McKay-Dungy era. <<

In what way? That they made the playoffs and exitted early when expectations were high? How about when the offense misfired as it usually did? Okay, I'll give you that in the 6 years that Dungy lead the team it was better - but he never got to or won the Superbowl either. Dungy won 1 division championship in 6 years - Gruden won 2, a NFC Championship and a Superbowl - had to deal with less draft picks and no salary cap room to infuse the team with new talent.

There are reasons for this team having the problems over the last five years since the Superbowl - reasons that are not all of the current regimes making. For the most part, the current regime has admitted to their past mistakes - but I've yet to hear from the press acknowledgement that difficult circumstances existed making it hard to field a competitive team.

Gurden pursued Garcia in 2004 - but lacked the cap space to sign him. Does anyone even consider how much better off this team would have been the last 3 years had Garcia been the QB? Is it Gruden's/Allen's fault that they didn't sign him?

Much of this is individual perception. If you believe that the media is fair and impartial, there is nothing I can really say that will change your mind. But ask yourself this - this team right now is 2-1 and has been in every game that it has played this season. How can that be IF the 'real' media has fairly reported that this team is little improved over last season? If the Bucs had basically lucked into the wins, you would have more of a arguement, but they have soundly defeated two teams that were preseason favorites to get to the preseason.

Humm, makes you wonder if the real media was looking at the same Bucs.

How are the fans and local media supposed to by completely hyped on this coaching staff/FO when three out of they're previous four years are 7-9, 5-11, 4-11?

Dungy joined the Colts after being the most successful head coach in Tampa Bay history.  Dungy coached the Buccaneers from 1996-01, compiling a 54-42 regular-season record and earning four playoff appearances.  In the 10 seasons before Dungy�s arrival, the Buccaneers were 43-111 with nine double-digit loss seasons.

In 1997, Dungy was named Professional Coach of the Year by the Maxwell Football Club after guiding the Buccaneers to a 10-6 record and a Wild Card playoff victory over Detroit.
The Buccaneers won the NFC Central in 1999, their first division championship in 18 seasons (1981) and then the third in franchise history (1979, 1981).  The Buccaneers came within a late drive of playing in the Super Bowl, losing to eventual champion St. Louis, 11-6.  Tampa Bay was one of only two teams in 1999 to hold the Rams under 15 points.

During Dungy�s tenure, the Buccaneers quickly developed into one of the NFL�s stingiest defenses.  In 2001, they were one of two teams to hold the Rams below 20 points. They finished sixth in the NFL in total defense and were eighth in the league in points allowed with 280.  In 2000, the club set a team record with 55 sacks

Dungy took Tampa Bay to four playoff appearances during his tenure as field general, and he is the only Colts head coach to produce 10+ wins and playoff appearances in the first five seasons with the club.  Last year, Dungy helped produce the 16th 10+-victory season in franchise history, and he is one of five Colts head coaches to earn double-digit victory totals (5, Dungy; 4, Shula; 3, Marchibroda; 2, McCafferty; 2, Jim Mora).  Dungy has 67 overall victories with the Colts, ranking behind Shula (73) and Marchibroda (73) in club history.  Dungy has eight career double-digit victory seasons (11-5, 1999; 10-6, 1997; 10-6, 2000 with Tampa Bay; 14-2, 2005; 12-4, 2003; 12-4, 2004; 12-4, 2006; 10-6, 2002 with Colts) and stands as the first head coach to defeat all 32 NFL teams.

Tony Dungy enters his sixth season as head coach of the Indianapolis Colts.  Dungy took the helm of the club on January 22, 2002, after serving six seasons with Tampa Bay.  Dungy has directed the Colts to a 60-20 regular-season record, five playoff appearances, four AFC South titles, two AFC Championship game appearances and to a 29-17 victory over Chicago in Super Bowl XLI.  The club earned its fourth World Championship this past February, the first title game appearance by the franchise in 36 years.

Indianapolis was 10-6 in Dungy�s initial season, and he guided the Colts to 12-4, 12-4, 14-2 and 12-4 division-winning seasons from 2003-06.  The club�s four-year streak of division championships is unprecedented in franchise history.  In 2006, Indianapolis produced its fourth consecutive season with at least 12 wins, an accomplishment achieved only one other time in NFL history (1992-95, Dallas)

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#41 : September 24, 2007, 02:46:14 PM

Three faces - one happy, one preplexed, one with a scowl - it was on happy - but the implication is what it is - bs. 

Sounds stupid. Thanks for filling me in, though.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#42 : September 24, 2007, 02:48:08 PM

By the way, you are way off base on your comments that we had no cap space. We had enough cap space to sign Charlie Garner to a bigger deal then Chicago paid for Thomas Jones, and sign three other big contracts. When he was going after Garcia he didn't sign him because Garcia wanted to be a starter and as SR has said on air we signed Greasy first and it leaked to Garcia's camp so he signed elsewhere. We had the money to sign them both. Get your facts straight. They only thing you go is draftpicks and we've wasted most of the ones we did have so what makes you think if we had more we'd have done anything different?

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#43 : September 24, 2007, 02:53:54 PM

Well, Dungy and Gruden are both pretty good coaches, neither of them great, but both pretty good when they have something to work with.

I completely disagree with this. It is obvious what Dungy has been able to do up there and while he was in Tampa and if not for having to face New England up there and Philly here he'd be even more successful. Dungy will go down as a GREAT coach while Gruden might go down as a one hit wonder with a GREAT coaches team imo.

PS-The local media doesn't like Gruden because we have a losing record and they all bought their sunglasses and haven't been able to use them yet. Most pairs have been broken against the TV...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#44 : September 24, 2007, 02:55:50 PM

Check your records - Thomas not only left 1 minute into FA he got 10 mill to sign.  No the buccs could not compete.

No on Garcia - he wanted to be here but got nearly 3xs what the buccs had at that time.

But good thoughts if they were accurate.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The "negative" local media « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools