Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jenkins challenges coaches, players « previous next »
Page: 1

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

: September 25, 2007, 02:21:38 PM

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/291840.html

Jenkins challenges coaches, players

Defensive tackle says Panthers need to learn how to build on wins

The television cameras had stopped rolling, but Kris Jenkins had not.

In the moments after Sunday's 27-20 victory against Atlanta at the Georgia Dome, the Carolina defensive tackle made some strong comments about his team having "issues."

He sees a lingering problem that caused the Panthers to go from a preseason Super Bowl favorite to an 8-8 team last season and might have an impact on this team despite a 2-1 start.

"My thing that I said we have an issue with is expressing the issues," Jenkins said. "We know what all of our problems are. We don't express all of them.

"I can kind of give an example: When you win a game, you win a game and that's it. It's on to the next game. When you win a game and you go into the next game and come out and score 14 points and then you coast because you feel like you won the Super Bowl, that's when you have a problem and that's what I'm talking about."

Jenkins was referring to a season-opening victory in St. Louis that was followed by a 34-21 Week 2 loss to Houston, a game in which the Panthers jumped to a 14-0 lead.

"It's an issue and I think it's been overlooked in the past," Jenkins said. "... The issue is that we don't handle success well. ... We won (Sunday). But can we win again? And that, I guess, is a challenge to my team if I'm saying it in the paper. We won. Can we put two together? Can we put three together? Can we find a way to win without getting all full of ourselves?"

Jenkins, who has been with the team since 2001 and been to three Pro Bowls, said he had not addressed the issue with his teammates, then publicly proceeded to do so.

"Who? Me? They just started liking me a week ago," said Jenkins, who spent most of the offseason working with a personal trainer in Maryland while the team reportedly was attempting to trade him. "I was the fat guy swimming in the bay that was supposed to be somewhere else. I'm not a talker. For the most part, I just play and do my job and keep my mouth shut."

Jenkins refused to put much stock in Sunday's win and said the Panthers won't get anywhere close to the Super Bowl if they continue playing the way they did against Atlanta (0-3).

He said changes need to be made in the way the team approaches a game after a victory.

So who needs to make those changes? Coaches? Players? The front office?

"Everybody. Whatever's being done has to be changed," he said. "Whether it's right or wrong, it has to be changed within each person individually. Everybody has to find a way to fight through the prosperity and keep getting to a win each week and not just doing it for one week.

"We're grown men. This is our job and this is our passion. There's some way that this has to be addressed. If not, then we're going to keep doing the roller-coaster ride."

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 25, 2007, 02:24:01 PM

Sounds like there's some internal problems there.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 25, 2007, 02:29:14 PM

Sounds like a leader might be emerging - hope it take another week for him to make an impression.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 25, 2007, 02:43:35 PM

Sounds like a leader might be emerging - hope it take another week for him to make an impression.

I was thinking the strange thing...  Strange thing, considering he supposedly had problems motivating himself, much less a team.  And to think he was on the trade block a few months ago.

Stretchcaddy

Starter

#4 : September 25, 2007, 03:08:19 PM

im really getting tired of players trying to motivate their team the same week that we play them.

Hey jenkins wait till next week to sound off !

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 25, 2007, 03:13:59 PM

im really getting tired of players trying to motivate their team the same week that we play them.

It's a big game Sunday...both teams know it.

gone

Hall of Famer
#6 : September 25, 2007, 03:19:21 PM

LMAO

I like that. 

You can only lead if people follow.  He doesn't have much cred in that lockerroom from what we hear. 

If we clock them sunday this could turn into a flashpoint for them to pull an Atlanta style meltdown...

T

Hall of Famer

#7 : September 25, 2007, 06:34:46 PM

I like the Bucs chances is Carr starts, no matter how inspired they are.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : September 25, 2007, 06:39:11 PM

LMAO

I like that.

You can only lead if people follow. He doesn't have much cred in that lockerroom from what we hear.

If we clock them sunday this could turn into a flashpoint for them to pull an Atlanta style meltdown...

Hope you are right 'doc, but I do wish he had waited one more week. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 25, 2007, 06:42:29 PM

Hope you are right 'doc, but I do wish he had waited one more week.

But if you don't have the talent then the rah rah menas diddly. I think the Panthers, personnel wise, aren't anything like the dominate Panthers of a few years ago.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 25, 2007, 07:28:24 PM

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/291840.html

Jenkins, who has been with the team since 2001 and been to three Pro Bowls, said he had not addressed the issue with his teammates, then publicly proceeded to do so.

"Who? Me? They just started liking me a week ago," said Jenkins, who spent most of the offseason working with a personal trainer in Maryland while the team reportedly was attempting to trade him. "I was the fat guy swimming in the bay that was supposed to be somewhere else. I'm not a talker. For the most part, I just play and do my job and keep my mouth shut."

This is the kinda crap that will start the internal bickering FAST.  If they lose, I bet this haunts him ... he wants to be a leader and motivate his team, but does it by calling them out publicly BEFORE doing it in-person is the wrong way to go.  He needs to man up and say it to them face to face FIRST.

Then that last part kills me ...  "I do my job and keep my mouth shut" ... really? what did you just get done doing?

MVP

Pro Bowler

#11 : September 25, 2007, 07:59:44 PM

Why isn't Julias Peppers, Steve Smith, or another cornerstone player trying to motivate the team? I could care less about the Panthers but you'd think the recognized team leaders would be saying this. I agree that it seems that they are having internal problems if Jenkins is sounding off now.

It makes you appreciate that the offense is uniting under Garcia and the defense has always had Brooks and Barber. Leadership is an invaluable intangible to have and I think our guys are going to be more focused and hungry to get a win next week against our nemesis in the NFC South. If we overtake Carolina then we have only an Atlanta team in dissarray and a crumbling New Orleans to contend with. The season is still very young but the opportunity for the Bucs to strike fast and keep thier rivals off balance is there for the taking.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jenkins challenges coaches, players « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools