Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Comment on Penn vs Freeney « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

gone

Hall of Famer
: October 05, 2007, 11:08:28 AM

actually, vision is probably the most underrated element of a good runner. Caddy's incredibly athletic and he hits hard for someone with his size and speed. His problem - zero vision. He can cut back but he doesn't see the hole in front of him. What I've noticed is that Pittman ALWAYS seems to get good yards because he waits for his crease and attacks. Thats what Tiki did. Pitt's nowhere near Tiki Barber of course, but the analogy is you don't need to be shifty or particularly fast to be a good runner provided you have the patience to set up your blocks and hit the hole when its there rather than running dead straight as Caddy does. Priest Holmes did this incredibly well, as did Emmitt Smith.

What? Caddy's best assest is his vision.Pittman's worst attribute is his vision and impatience.

You want examples just look at the Ram game where Caddy was going to be blasted for a 3 yard loss, saw the defenside end had lost contain, cut back to the other side of the field and made a 3 and half yard gain with the help of a Garcia block, nudge really. I remember him doing the same thing numerous of times last year as well in the Chi-Town game two years ago on a pitch. Caddy's best attribute is his vision and ability to make quick cuts in small spaces while eluding tacklers.

Teams stacked the box when Caddy is in the game and blitzed the gaps usually between the guard and tackle... when Pittman is in the game team's usually played 7 or 6 man fronts. You see this in the Panthers and Rams games on draws and other plays. It's exactly why Caddy was more oftened hit in the backfield and Pittman was not.

While I agree his vision is poor, his patience has dramatically improved since '04.  I've been noticing it for a while, and posted on it even in 06.  He's no longer running right into the back of his linemen every time he gets the ball.  He's letting blocks develop, although he still tends to outrun them after about 5 yards.  He doesn't cutback much, but he's bouncing outside successfully if the first hole is closed.

Nobody's going to confuse him for LT, but he's an acceptable option - a good enough backup that you can get through the season with.  He's not an elite back, but you can still have a good running game without one, and his flexibility will mean more to our playcalling options, gives defenses one more thing to worry about, means there's always a decent pass blocker in, and gives a smart QB much more flexibility in audibles and play selection.  These are things we lost with Caddy in there.  I don't think he's a long term answer, but having him in there means you don't need to panic and trade away good picks to get someone in for a few games.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 04, 2007, 02:10:00 PM

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20071004/BLOG51/71004020&start=1

MBF

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 04, 2007, 02:11:37 PM

Good article. If Penn fails this Sunday, then it could be disaster for this O.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 04, 2007, 02:18:18 PM

We'll have to see, it's going to be interesting to see how the big guy handles it. It's his time to shine, I just hope he doesn't need that much help.

That's one thing that does worry me, the offense has opened up because they don't need to help AD, one of the worst LT's in the leauge. If Penn can hold his gorund the offense won't miss a beat, it's going to be fun.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#4 : October 04, 2007, 02:22:01 PM

Penn is going to suprise the naysayers.  If you look at him compared to Luke,  there's not that much difference and he may be a shade quicker.    I'd say the pressure is on Freeny to school the young man.   If Penn holds his own,  it's a major boost to his career and the team will continue to look like champs.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 04, 2007, 02:24:34 PM

Penn is quicker. However, Penn doesn't bend his knees as well as Luke and tends to play too upright. Hopefully he's working hard on that.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#6 : October 04, 2007, 02:29:16 PM

He spent most of the preseason on the right side and that could hinder his emergence as a solid player but last week he didn't look like a benchwarmer.     

zed

Pro Bowler

#7 : October 04, 2007, 03:53:12 PM

Penn is quicker. However, Penn doesn't bend his knees as well as Luke and tends to play too upright. Hopefully he's working hard on that.
Wasn't that Trueblood's problem last year?  Maybe we've got two solid tackles moving forward if Penn can fix that.

The Q

Pro Bowler

#8 : October 04, 2007, 03:59:56 PM

Penn is going to surprise a lot of people. Just like RUUD did. These young BUCS can play. Just put them out and watch.
Penn played 3/4 of the game last week. No Sacks, NO PENALTIES. That is OUTSTANDING.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

CoachEricTaylor

Starter

#9 : October 04, 2007, 04:10:12 PM

Like it was mentioned in another thread, run it right at Freeny. Maybe Pittmans bizerko-upright-falling-all-over-the-place style will take freeny out of the play.

:: CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CAN\'T LOSE ::

buckit

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 04, 2007, 04:27:10 PM

"Pittmans bizerko-upright-falling-all-over-the-place style "

Now that's funny.  I don't care who you are, that there's funny.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 04, 2007, 04:32:55 PM

Peen will need to hold his own so we can get more guys out in pass routs

Watchman

Starter

#12 : October 04, 2007, 05:07:45 PM

Maybe Pittmans bizerko-upright-falling-all-over-the-place style will take freeny out of the play.

That was one of the funniest comments I've seen in a while.  Bravo!

InlandTaipan

Practice Squad

#13 : October 04, 2007, 05:10:32 PM

I liked the correction at the end..." And now, for the other side of the story...
After watching the Bucs' excellent performance against the Panthers, I need to eat some of my words. No, the Bucs are not the worst 2-1 team in football. Clearly, the Panthers were. "...LOL

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#14 : October 04, 2007, 05:15:35 PM

well one thing is for sure .. penn is definitely a road grater. just ask spires.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Comment on Penn vs Freeney « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools