Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Comment on Penn vs Freeney « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 04, 2007, 05:18:22 PM

I think a big key in this game is going to be to pound the rock, that way it will keep Freeney honest... If we let Freeney "pin his ears back" that is going to give Penn some trouble. So Gruden's traditional playcalling might leave this kid on an island, in which case I would expect Garcia to help him out with some quick releases.

#16 : October 04, 2007, 05:45:16 PM

heres my comment of penn v freeney = 2 sacks

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 04, 2007, 06:17:56 PM

Like it was mentioned in another thread, run it right at Freeny. Maybe Pittmans bizerko-upright-falling-all-over-the-place style will take freeny out of the play.

Have you noticed that Pittman hasn't been running that way this year for the most part?

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#18 : October 05, 2007, 10:45:10 AM

most teams need more pittman's. hard working, solid, team oriented, smart football players.

he falls into that category of #15-35 players on the roster who's knowledge, work ethic and team oriented attitude make up for the lack of talent.

keep him in his comfort zone. he's not a feature back, lets hope we don't use him as such.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#19 : October 05, 2007, 10:35:19 AM

I agree he runs hard. Being a bruiser wasn't an implication that he could break tackles. It just means he sticks his pads right into your chest at full speed.

OK, I agree with that, he does run into defenders well....of course his job description is to run around them. ;)
Yeah, but his idea of running is mingled with visions of him squatting 1000 pounds, and benching 450...which means ain't no damn waaaay a guy can stop him(in his mind, anyway).  Which is clearly not the case.

I agree about the "running around the guy".  Contact should be initiated as a last resort by the running back.  His priorities are mixed up.  He has no juke moves at all.  And that "pitter-patter" thing he does is indeed a joke, unless that is his way of demonstrating patience before he runs blindly into a space (a hole).

benir0

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 04, 2007, 09:44:49 PM

Peen will need to hold his own so we can get more guys out in pass routs

No need to call names, bro.  ;)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#21 : October 04, 2007, 09:47:27 PM

Like it was mentioned in another thread, run it right at Freeny. Maybe Pittmans bizerko-upright-falling-all-over-the-place style will take freeny out of the play.

Have you noticed that Pittman hasn't been running that way this year for the most part?
Not really.  I do notice that he has better maulers in front of him.  He isn;t making anyone miss, he isn't juking anything.

gone

Hall of Famer
#22 : October 04, 2007, 09:55:47 PM

The one thing Pittman has improved upon dramatically is patience.  He's been steadily improving in that over the last 2 seasons.  It will make a huge difference.  Pitt is an acceptable primary option, and his hands and pass blocking will help keep the defenses honest.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#23 : October 04, 2007, 09:57:59 PM

The one thing Pittman has improved upon dramatically is patience. He's been steadily improving in that over the last 2 seasons. It will make a huge difference. Pitt is an acceptable primary option, and his hands and pass blocking will help keep the defenses honest.

I agree about all except primary option.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree with that.

He has guns of steel, and legs of Dudley Moore (after drunk).  He is a bruiser, a straight line missile, I agree.

He is not shifty, he is not a guy who I think should be the key element in a rushing attack.  A part of it, yes.  A KEY?  Nope.

catch2355

Practice Squad

#24 : October 04, 2007, 10:16:14 PM

that article was very encouraging =]

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 04, 2007, 11:05:32 PM

Run, Run, play-action, Run,....etc. 

Penn does not necessarily need to be tested straight up on every play.  Hopefully we get the offense moving early!

GO BUCS!!

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

bklynbucs11

Starter

#26 : October 04, 2007, 11:17:07 PM

actually, vision is probably the most underrated element of a good runner. Caddy's incredibly athletic and he hits hard for someone with his size and speed. His problem - zero vision. He can cut back but he doesn't see the hole in front of him. What I've noticed is that Pittman ALWAYS seems to get good yards because he waits for his crease and attacks. Thats what Tiki did. Pitt's nowhere near Tiki Barber of course, but the analogy is you don't need to be shifty or particularly fast to be a good runner provided you have the patience to set up your blocks and hit the hole when its there rather than running dead straight as Caddy does. Priest Holmes did this incredibly well, as did Emmitt Smith.

As for Donald Penn. He spent most of the game in just run-blocking against an average DE at best. Lets not let his performance from one game determine his future potential, if any. Lets see him play a couple of games first. Only thing you hope for out of a second rounder in his first game is some sign that he has the potential to be good.

CrAsH_oVeRdRiVe

Rookie

#27 : October 05, 2007, 01:01:18 AM

actually, vision is probably the most underrated element of a good runner. Caddy's incredibly athletic and he hits hard for someone with his size and speed. His problem - zero vision. He can cut back but he doesn't see the hole in front of him. What I've noticed is that Pittman ALWAYS seems to get good yards because he waits for his crease and attacks. Thats what Tiki did. Pitt's nowhere near Tiki Barber of course, but the analogy is you don't need to be shifty or particularly fast to be a good runner provided you have the patience to set up your blocks and hit the hole when its there rather than running dead straight as Caddy does. Priest Holmes did this incredibly well, as did Emmitt Smith.

What? Caddy's best assest is his vision. Pittman's worst attribute is his vision and impatience.

You want examples just look at the Ram game where Caddy was going to be blasted for a 3 yard loss, saw the defenside end had lost contain, cut back to the other side of the field and made a 3 and half yard gain with the help of a Garcia block, nudge really. I remember him doing the same thing numerous of times last year as well in the Chi-Town game two years ago on a pitch. Caddy's best attribute is his vision and ability to make quick cuts in small spaces while eluding tacklers.

Teams stacked the box when Caddy is in the game and blitzed the gaps usually between the guard and tackle... when Pittman is in the game team's usually played 7 or 6 man fronts. You see this in the Panthers and Rams games on draws and other plays. It's exactly why Caddy was more oftened hit in the backfield and Pittman was not.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 05, 2007, 01:15:10 AM

Penn is going to suprise the naysayers.  If you look at him compared to Luke,  there's not that much difference and he may be a shade quicker.    I'd say the pressure is on Freeny to school the young man.   If Penn holds his own,  it's a major boost to his career and the team will continue to look like champs.

Ummm, yeah. Whatever dude. If that's the case why the heck did we bother with Luke? Penn isn't nearly as good as Petitgout and Petitgout isn't a great LOT by any stretch...but he's good. All you injury whining babies have cried about Caddy (which won't matter) and not talked about Petit's loss which likely will.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 05, 2007, 01:21:07 AM

I agree about all except primary option.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree with that.

He has guns of steel, and legs of Dudley Moore (after drunk).  He is a bruiser, a straight line missile, I agree.

Put more simply, years of abusing 'roids have fried what little brain he has. Pitt runs wherever the heck the hole should be. If it is there, blammo good run, if not, blammo nothing. The next time Pitt sees the cutback lane will be the first time. He's not good at finding the hole and that pitter-patter thing he does is a joke of a move - has anyone been juked by that? I'm not sure where he's a bruiser, he's always been a down by early contact type of runner despite his Body by Cellblock C appearance.

That said, the fact that he will attack the hole means that he's gonna get you some good yards if you get any sort of push. He's replacing a guy in Caddy that wasn't doing diddly anyways so even Mr Magoo isn't a step down. He's great catching the ball so he's got some versatility which works out as a better thing than Caddy brought. The fact that he's in the game perhaps mean we see more sets with a real FB so that might even help the blocking and of course with Penn at LOT we'll likely see more heavy sets which should also help the run blocking- especially against the Colts.

He's not the answer and he's really not even "an" answer but he's not going to be areal notable step down from what Caddy was giving us.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Comment on Penn vs Freeney « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools