Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Comment on Penn vs Freeney « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler

#30 : October 05, 2007, 01:02:09 PM

mr. freeney? wasn't he the principal on that show with topanga? boy meets world? he doesn't worry me much.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 05, 2007, 10:30:36 AM

I agree he runs hard.  Being a bruiser wasn't an implication that he could break tackles.  It just means he sticks his pads right into your chest at full speed.

OK, I agree with that, he does run into defenders well....of course his job description is to run around them. ;)

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler

#32 : October 05, 2007, 08:48:08 AM

i love the pittman-isms ..

pitter-patter ..
bizerko-upright-falling-all-over-the-place style
guns of steel, legs of dudley moore ...

face it .. the guy loves contact .. whether its running or driving.

anyhow .. pittman is a good dual threat. love his circle routes .. feed that to him. give him 10-12 carries through the game. give graham 15 carries through the game. give askew 2-3 quick hit carries up the gut. run the clayton reverse about 11 times .. and do 6 flea flickers.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 05, 2007, 09:51:35 AM

I agree about all except primary option.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree with that.

He has guns of steel, and legs of Dudley Moore (after drunk). He is a bruiser, a straight line missile, I agree.

Put more simply, years of abusing 'roids have fried what little brain he has. Pitt runs wherever the heck the hole should be. If it is there, blammo good run, if not, blammo nothing. The next time Pitt sees the cutback lane will be the first time. He's not good at finding the hole and that pitter-patter thing he does is a joke of a move - has anyone been juked by that? I'm not sure where he's a bruiser, he's always been a down by early contact type of runner despite his Body by Cellblock C appearance.

That said, the fact that he will attack the hole means that he's gonna get you some good yards if you get any sort of push. He's replacing a guy in Caddy that wasn't doing diddly anyways so even Mr Magoo isn't a step down. He's great catching the ball so he's got some versatility which works out as a better thing than Caddy brought. The fact that he's in the game perhaps mean we see more sets with a real FB so that might even help the blocking and of course with Penn at LOT we'll likely see more heavy sets which should also help the run blocking- especially against the Colts.

He's not the answer and he's really not even "an" answer but he's not going to be areal notable step down from what Caddy was giving us.
He is a bruiser based on what other DBs have said about bringing him down...Dawkins said the man hits you like a truck. 

I agree he runs hard.  Being a bruiser wasn't an implication that he could break tackles.  It just means he sticks his pads right into your chest at full speed.

Squat thrusts baby!

Love the comment, "Body by cell block c..."

He he he he...

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#34 : October 05, 2007, 09:53:38 AM

"The Penn...is mightier!"

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#35 : October 05, 2007, 09:57:18 AM

If Freeney attacks the edge I do not think Penn can hold him off honestly.  But Penn must be able to stop Freeney from using his spin move to attack inside and generate quick QB pressure on Garcia.

Penn will need help to contain Freeney but I think a heavy dose of runs to the left would really help even more.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#36 : October 05, 2007, 10:00:47 AM

If Penn is in trouble look for a lot of bootlegs.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#37 : October 05, 2007, 10:01:25 AM

If Freeney attacks the edge I do not think Penn can hold him off honestly. But Penn must be able to stop Freeney from using his spin move to attack inside and generate quick QB pressure on Garcia.

Penn will need help to contain Freeney but I think a heavy dose of runs to the left would really help even more.

Freeny's like Rice in that way, he'll run himself out of the play more than not. You're right, Penn has to stop the inside pressure from him because when Freeny goes outside Garcia can and will step up in the pocket to avoid that.

shutdabucup

Second String

#38 : October 05, 2007, 10:05:28 AM

Put more simply, years of abusing 'roids have fried what little brain he has.

Clearly football knowledge is not correlated with knowledge on the effects of steroid use.  

orlandobuc

Starter

#39 : October 05, 2007, 01:00:09 PM

heres my comment of penn v freeney = 2 sacks

With Garcia running? You sure?

Pressures maybe. Sacks will be harder to come by.

We need to run right at him. Get him tired. Pull the line both ways so he is either hopelessly chasing or getting hit head on. If we run the ball, play action opens up and Garcia is deadly.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#40 : October 05, 2007, 08:29:35 PM

actually, vision is probably the most underrated element of a good runner. Caddy's incredibly athletic and he hits hard for someone with his size and speed. His problem - zero vision. He can cut back but he doesn't see the hole in front of him. What I've noticed is that Pittman ALWAYS seems to get good yards because he waits for his crease and attacks. Thats what Tiki did. Pitt's nowhere near Tiki Barber of course, but the analogy is you don't need to be shifty or particularly fast to be a good runner provided you have the patience to set up your blocks and hit the hole when its there rather than running dead straight as Caddy does. Priest Holmes did this incredibly well, as did Emmitt Smith.

What? Caddy's best assest is his vision.Pittman's worst attribute is his vision and impatience.

You want examples just look at the Ram game where Caddy was going to be blasted for a 3 yard loss, saw the defenside end had lost contain, cut back to the other side of the field and made a 3 and half yard gain with the help of a Garcia block, nudge really. I remember him doing the same thing numerous of times last year as well in the Chi-Town game two years ago on a pitch. Caddy's best attribute is his vision and ability to make quick cuts in small spaces while eluding tacklers.

Teams stacked the box when Caddy is in the game and blitzed the gaps usually between the guard and tackle... when Pittman is in the game team's usually played 7 or 6 man fronts. You see this in the Panthers and Rams games on draws and other plays. It's exactly why Caddy was more oftened hit in the backfield and Pittman was not.

While I agree his vision is poor, his patience has dramatically improved since '04. I've been noticing it for a while, and posted on it even in 06. He's no longer running right into the back of his linemen every time he gets the ball. He's letting blocks develop, although he still tends to outrun them after about 5 yards. He doesn't cutback much, but he's bouncing outside successfully if the first hole is closed.

Nobody's going to confuse him for LT, but he's an acceptable option - a good enough backup that you can get through the season with. He's not an elite back, but you can still have a good running game without one, and his flexibility will mean more to our playcalling options, gives defenses one more thing to worry about, means there's always a decent pass blocker in, and gives a smart QB much more flexibility in audibles and play selection. These are things we lost with Caddy in there. I don't think he's a long term answer, but having him in there means you don't need to panic and trade away good picks to get someone in for a few games.

He's half fullback, half running back and a better goaline option in my opinion than Graham...........

bklynbucs11

Starter

#41 : October 05, 2007, 09:12:08 PM

actually, vision is probably the most underrated element of a good runner. Caddy's incredibly athletic and he hits hard for someone with his size and speed. His problem - zero vision. He can cut back but he doesn't see the hole in front of him. What I've noticed is that Pittman ALWAYS seems to get good yards because he waits for his crease and attacks. Thats what Tiki did. Pitt's nowhere near Tiki Barber of course, but the analogy is you don't need to be shifty or particularly fast to be a good runner provided you have the patience to set up your blocks and hit the hole when its there rather than running dead straight as Caddy does. Priest Holmes did this incredibly well, as did Emmitt Smith.

What? Caddy's best assest is his vision. Pittman's worst attribute is his vision and impatience.

You want examples just look at the Ram game where Caddy was going to be blasted for a 3 yard loss, saw the defenside end had lost contain, cut back to the other side of the field and made a 3 and half yard gain with the help of a Garcia block, nudge really. I remember him doing the same thing numerous of times last year as well in the Chi-Town game two years ago on a pitch. Caddy's best attribute is his vision and ability to make quick cuts in small spaces while eluding tacklers.

Teams stacked the box when Caddy is in the game and blitzed the gaps usually between the guard and tackle... when Pittman is in the game team's usually played 7 or 6 man fronts. You see this in the Panthers and Rams games on draws and other plays. It's exactly why Caddy was more oftened hit in the backfield and Pittman was not.

THe mere fact that you mention Caddy's run against St. Louis as an example of his good vision shows me you've got no clue what you're talking about. That is reverse direction ability. Thats what Reggie Bush and Barry Sanders do. Vision - thats what Tiki Barber had. Vision for an RB is seeing the play develop. LT, if you watch him run, never wastes a step on the cutbacks. He waits for his hole and engages. The cuts he uses are subtle, which is why they're so effective. Caddy NEVER does this. Caddy knows his run is at the LG, so he plows straight at the LG. What Pittman does, is he runs and waits for his blocks to develop. THEN he hits the hole. This vision is why Pittman manages to get 7-8 yard runs through the LOS despite the fact that he's older, slower and nowhere near as gifted of a runner as Cadillac. Vision and patience is very difficult to develop. If you think about the RB'sa with the best vision in the league over the last few years - Priest Holmes, LT, Barber - are all guys that are much smarter than the average RB. Caddy doesn't fall into that category.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 05, 2007, 09:25:13 PM

What? Caddy's best assest is his vision. Pittman's worst attribute is his vision and impatience.

THe mere fact that you mention Caddy's run against St. Louis as an example of his good vision shows me you've got no clue what you're talking about. That is reverse direction ability. Thats what Reggie Bush and Barry Sanders do. Vision - thats what Tiki Barber had. Vision for an RB is seeing the play develop. LT, if you watch him run, never wastes a step on the cutbacks. He waits for his hole and engages. The cuts he uses are subtle, which is why they're so effective. Caddy NEVER does this. Caddy knows his run is at the LG, so he plows straight at the LG. What Pittman does, is he runs and waits for his blocks to develop. THEN he hits the hole. This vision is why Pittman manages to get 7-8 yard runs through the LOS despite the fact that he's older, slower and nowhere near as gifted of a runner as Cadillac. Vision and patience is very difficult to develop. If you think about the RB'sa with the best vision in the league over the last few years - Priest Holmes, LT, Barber - are all guys that are much smarter than the average RB. Caddy doesn't fall into that category.
What Pittman does is run as fast as he can straight into the backs of his guards or tackles, and gets 4-5 doing this.

His vision is average at best.

But I agree with your assumption that Caddy has issues with his vision that need working on...if he ever gets back to what he was.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#43 : October 05, 2007, 09:27:23 PM

I agree thats what he did in 2004. I don't think he does this anymore. He does run hard, everyone does. But he seems to hit the holes much better now than he did from 2002 - 2004 (barring the Superbowl, he looked great there) which i attribute to vision. I'm not saying his vision is great, far from it. I can name about 15 RB's easily who have better vision, Mewelde Moore included. That said, he has much better vision than Caddy does right now.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#44 : October 05, 2007, 09:40:24 PM

I agree thats what he did in 2004. I don't think he does this anymore. He does run hard, everyone does. But he seems to hit the holes much better now than he did from 2002 - 2004 (barring the Superbowl, he looked great there) which i attribute to vision. I'm not saying his vision is great, far from it. I can name about 15 RB's easily who have better vision, Mewelde Moore included. That said, he has much better vision than Caddy does right now.
He has less fear of running into his assigned hole, as a result of his size, is what he has.  He generally runs into that hole, existant or not.  He is slowing his roll lately, maybe he is learning a thing or two in his old age.

He just never developed into a shift runner, an agile athlete.

What he did was become a body builder with speed.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Comment on Penn vs Freeney « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools