Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nice Bucs Chemistry Article by Ira « previous next »
Page: 1

superbuc

Practice Squad
: October 05, 2007, 10:08:09 AM

I've beat them up for being negative.  I have to give them props when they finally write something nice!

For Bucs, Chemistry Means Being There For Each Other

By IRA KAUFMAN, The Tampa Tribune

Published: October 5, 2007

TAMPA - In the heat of training camp, petty differences melted away and a bond of friendship was forged.

Tampa Bay's 3-1 start shouldn't be characterized by Jeff Garcia's accurate right arm, Cato June's swift feet or the analytical mind of Derrick Brooks.

The symbol of the 2007 Buccaneers is a helping hand.

Bucs players departed that August cauldron in Lake Buena Vista with a newfound respect for each other, a camaraderie evident even during the preseason.

'The defining moment for this team in my opinion was when Paris Warren went down,' said Bucs running backs coach Art Valero, referring to the dislocated ankle suffered by the third-year wide receiver in the Aug. 30 preseason finale.

'Paris goes down, and not only is he such a beloved kid on this team, but that bench emptied. I've never seen that in sports. At that time, we had 63 guys. Each and every one went over there for one of their own.'

That startling display of kinship was repeated last week in Charlotte, N.C., when Cadillac Williams went down with a knee injury that ended his 2007 season.

Even veteran Fox broadcaster Sam Rosen was stunned when the Bucs surrounded Williams en masse on the opposing sideline before he was carted off.

'For me, when I looked up and saw everyone coming, I was speechless,' Warren said Thursday. 'I was angry to be hurt, but then I felt the support my teammates have for me. When Cadillac went down, the same thing. You try to be tough, but sometimes it really hits you to see how much other people care for you.'

Bucs players credit returning leaders such as Brooks, cornerback Ronde Barber and wide receiver Ike Hilliard for setting an all-for-one tone in the wake of a 4-12 disaster that led to a roster overhaul.

In the offseason, veteran free agents Garcia and defensive lineman Kevin Carter reiterated the message: 'We're all in this together.'

'I think the organization has done a good job bringing in key veterans, team guys,' said tight end Anthony Becht. 'Everyone here believes in each other. Everyone's into the team aspect, and this is a very tight-knit group. We understand we are surrounded by guys who work hard - Paris, Caddy, Luke Petitgout. They're important figures on this team, whether they are starters or not.'

Tampa Bay's impressive solidarity will be tested while the Bucs deal with adversity sure to crop up in the next three months. As injuries mount and weaknesses are exploited, the organization hopes to respond with better living through chemistry.

'I'm really proud of our team,' Coach Jon Gruden said. 'These guys really do like each other. It all starts in the meeting room, where we have blue-chip guys leading the way for our young players. Everyone is laying it on the line every week.'

In his 13th pro season, Carter has seen his share of selfishness and jealousy in NFL locker rooms.

This one, he said, feels different.

'We're finding our chemistry,' said Carter, who has played for the Rams, Titans and Dolphins. 'The love for one another is as tight as can be. That's an intangible, and you try to bottle it. It's the magical part of the game of football, and I know one thing - you can't win without it.'

Brooks said the Bucs have been 'a tight unit' since he arrived in Tampa in 1995.

'We've been a united football team,' he said. 'We've been through 4-12 together, 5-11 together and 15-4 together. That's something I take a lot of pride in. It's a general like for each other. That's something that is built over time, and it's going to win you two or three games a year, period.'

As the Bucs grabbed the early lead in the NFC South, Valero's thoughts kept racing back to that hot August night, when teammate after teammate raced into the south end zone of Raymond James Stadium to lift a fallen comrade.

'These guys have been through a lot,' Valero said. 'They've been through 4-12, they've been through a miserably hot camp. This is a team that's very open-armed. We have a mixed bag of nuts in this building, and all they want to do is win. They've been behind the 8-ball and they're tired of it.'

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 05, 2007, 10:12:19 AM

What happened to the mutiny?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 05, 2007, 10:15:24 AM

Nobody wants to play in Tampa.

superbuc

Practice Squad
#3 : October 05, 2007, 10:18:11 AM

What happened to the mutiny?

"That was the uh, er, um.......Devil Rays.  Yeah, yeah, that's it."

Remember the first video posted from TC with JP, Roy, and Ira?!  It was sort of like when pro wrestlers talk into the camera lens with spit, venom, and vitriole  - brother!

noopy2237

Starter
#4 : October 05, 2007, 10:28:09 AM

Ira is trying to trick us, don't fall for it. If he writes one good article he gets to write 10 negative ones. I am on to him.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 05, 2007, 08:13:17 PM

I remember during the 2006 pre-season Peter King wrote about what great chemistry the team had and he predicted good things. Nice to know now the talent has caught up to the chemistry.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 05, 2007, 08:18:59 PM

Now that is a good article.  A real feel-good job done right.

Now go out and kick some ass!

creekchub00

Starter

#7 : October 05, 2007, 08:33:54 PM

Ira is trying to trick us, don't fall for it. If he writes one good article he gets to write 10 negative ones. I am on to him.

HAHA, we shall see the next few days...It is OK to be positive on regular basis Ira, except for when there is no hope!
Still nothing positive ABOUT Gruden ;-)

blitz

Pro Bowler
#8 : October 05, 2007, 08:40:19 PM

A win Sunday and we'll hear contract talks are in the works............

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 06, 2007, 07:30:23 AM

I remember during the 2006 pre-season Peter King wrote about what great chemistry the team had and he predicted good things. Nice to know now the talent has caught up to the chemistry.

As good as the chemistry is this year, if Garcia went down and we had to go with Gradkowski - we'd be in big trouble.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 06, 2007, 01:42:13 PM

Java thanks for that wet blanket...a cold dose of reality....couldn't we bask in the warmth of that positive editorial a few minutes more ...especially from that hack LOL  notice he gave no credit to Gruden... SORRY BUT I THINK GRUDEN AND ALLEN WERE ALSO BIG PARTS OF THIS TEAMS UNITY AND TEAM CHEMISTRY....subtle things like getting rid of Rice and the type of players drafted and brought in here the last few years...all that gang tackeling is part of that too ...and on the KO its a race to who can nail that ball carrier first....   its contagious ....the wrs and even Garcia throwing blocks...i'm proud of our team and glad I get to see these guys every Sunday...we may be in for a big surprise this year along with the rest of the country....but we won't be under the radar any more after we slaughter the Colts this week .
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Nice Bucs Chemistry Article by Ira « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools