Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Replacing Petitgout « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

« : October 05, 2007, 12:34:43 PM »

Found this Adam Schefter article, http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d802eeefb&template=with-video&confirm=true&campaign=ec0005

This part stood out:

"But ever since Tampa Bay signed Penn off MinnesotaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s practice squad last year when the Buccaneers lost Kenyatta Walker to injury, the team has been pleased and impressed with Penn. In fact, team officials think that replacing Petitgout will be less challenging than replacing injured running back Cadillac Williams."

I think most of us would disagree with that assessment, and I find it hard to believe that the Bucs' would think that...I wonder what "team official" Schefter talked to.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #1 : October 05, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »

Found this Adam Schefter article, http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d802eeefb&template=with-video&confirm=true&campaign=ec0005

This part stood out:

"But ever since Tampa Bay signed Penn off MinnesotaĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s practice squad last year when the Buccaneers lost Kenyatta Walker to injury, the team has been pleased and impressed with Penn. In fact, team officials think that replacing Petitgout will be less challenging than replacing injured running back Cadillac Williams."

I think most of us would disagree with that assessment, and I find it hard to believe that the Bucs' would think that...I wonder what "team official" Schefter talked to.

Well, it seems they did edit out a picture of his inside source:

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #2 : October 05, 2007, 12:45:18 PM »

Negative, most think this way. With the depth at the RB position the statement is correct.

simmstheanswer

Starter

« #3 : October 05, 2007, 12:47:39 PM »

This part stood out:

"But ever since Tampa Bay signed Penn off Minnesota’s practice squad last year when the Buccaneers lost Kenyatta Walker to injury, the team has been pleased and impressed with Penn. In fact, team officials think that replacing Petitgout will be less challenging than replacing injured running back Cadillac Williams."

i would have to agree with the bucs "team official on that one. i think many here are a little blinded by the great running start to the season we've had. but much of that was gained late in the games, and most of pitt's yards come when he was spelling caddy for a play or two, he was never in the whole game subject to getting tired, he was super fresh every time he entered. expecting 8 yards a carry is a bit ridiculous. as for graham, he looks solid running outside the tackles, but still not great running in. he also got many of his yards late in games, when the other team was worn down. caddy is an every down guy, neither of these two are, and if we didn't have such short memories we could remember that.

i trust that the team knows more about Penn then we do, and it's not like Petigout was amazing, he wa good. If Penn can be good, he looked good last game, then hopefully there will not be any dropoff and the advantage of getting a much younger guy in there.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #4 : October 05, 2007, 12:49:32 PM »

This part stood out:

Well, it seems they did edit out a picture of his inside source:

HE he he he...

gump

Starter

« #5 : October 05, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »

Adam Shefter is probably the best NFL reporter.  I'd trust his report over anything on this board or from the local media.

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
« #6 : October 05, 2007, 12:53:29 PM »

his source was caddy.

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
« #7 : October 05, 2007, 12:53:54 PM »

or penn.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #8 : October 05, 2007, 12:54:34 PM »

I'd trust his report over anything on this board or from the local media.

Spoken like a true outsider

gump

Starter

« #9 : October 05, 2007, 01:12:04 PM »

I'd trust his report over anything on this board or from the local media.

Spoken like a true outsider

Didn't mean to take any direct shots at anyone.  But the fact is that Schefter is more in touch than anyone here other than possibly the PR guys.  I've played golf with another NFL reporter, and he was on the phone for 4 straight hours with NFL players, agents, and COACHES.  And he is not as connected as Schefter.

I guarantee you this info came from someone in the Bucs locker room.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #10 : October 05, 2007, 01:14:44 PM »

There is no question that the Bucs staff really like Penn a great deal. That much is factually correct.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : October 05, 2007, 01:19:05 PM »

Sad to see someone that would rely more on a fellow who likely hasn't even seen a buccs game, talked to a Buccs coach or a buccaneer - but would rely on a reporter who is writing a generic article to fill space - and would not have mentioned the buccs except for they are playing the Colts.  And isn't there some info left out - like the Colts have three key players who if they play are clearly less than 100%?  

Yea - go with Adam.  He's connected because another reporter talked to a coach.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #12 : October 05, 2007, 01:20:21 PM »

There is no question that the Bucs staff really like Penn a great deal. That much is factually correct.
They would not have brought him in if they didn't.

Watching the game, he does block pretty upright, but he is quite strong from what I can see...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #13 : October 05, 2007, 01:26:05 PM »

Watching the game, he does block pretty upright, but he is quite strong from what I can see...

Exactly as I told you, he needs to work on the knee bend. However, the strength has to be something he's added because coming out, he was on the weak side. What he did have was good feet and good speed as far as OL go (he ran a 5.0 in the 40). He relied a lot on athleticism to make plays in college, and that athelticism will be useful at this level.

Let's hope he doesn't play like he's as inexperienced as he is.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #14 : October 05, 2007, 01:29:05 PM »

Exactly as I told you, he needs to work on the knee bend. However, the strength has to be something he's added because coming out, he was on the weak side. What he did have was good feet and good speed as far as OL go (he ran a 5.0 in the 40). He relied a lot on athleticism to make plays in college, and that athelticism will be useful at this level.

Let's hope he doesn't play like he's as inexperienced as he is.
I am hoping.  Lining up across from Freeney, and his spin moves is going to be tough.

I don't think Freeney has a sack yet. 

Hopefully Penns quicks will help him in pass protecting versus a pure speed rusher with MOVES like Dwight.

I am hoping so.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Replacing Petitgout « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools