Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Duke players sue Nifong, police, and Durham « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Runole

Hall of Famer
#30 : October 07, 2007, 08:50:29 PM

$10 million each?? Great example of what is wrong with this freaking country .... Punks should have been happy they got off and went on with their lives.

In this case the level of gross neglect cost the DA his law licence. This wasn't just a "well we prosecuted someone on good faith and they weren't guilty" type thing. This was a case of the government knowingly prosecuting people they knew to not be guilty. That's a big huge no-no.

Not a $10 million per no-no, IMO ......

You really have great faith in the Justice system in America?   Pretty naive IMO!    NEWSFLASH!  It is not about justice it is about WINNING AND LOSING!!

You're going to have to elaborate. I have no idea what point you're trying to make ...

The point I am making is Justice in America is not about guilt or innocence  it is about winning and losing.  The overzealous and without integrity or honesty prosecution in this case refused to drop a case that should have been dropped in the beginning.  Instead the SA chose to humiliate these Duke players on a national level desperately trying to convince the nation that these kids were guilty despite knowing full well they were innocent of all charges.

Being disgraced and humiliated in front of the whole nation is a Big Deal!   While $10 Million may seem like a lot of green compared to the humilation they received nationally?   The state and prosecution are getting of light if that is the final judgment.

Those kids lives are scarred for life.    There is no amount of $$'s that can regain what they have lost.  They will be forever considered guilty as you have already shown by your own remarks.   Just read the disparagement in your own posts.  THEY WERE INNOCENT!! and wrongly prosecuted!

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#31 : October 08, 2007, 02:33:14 AM

What you need to realize, B&B is the deep psychological effects from being scrutinized by the national media. They were called rapists by people all over the country who were too ignorant to see the facts just to be proven innocent. A normal person would be scarred by this. If it happened to me, I know for a fact that everywhere I went I would feel people were looking at me. That they knew who I was and they knew what I was accused of. They have an opinion on it. What if they don't think I was really innocent? Just because there was a ton of evidence to prove they were innocent doesn't mean they're going to think that way when they think of what others think about them.

Jury selection is always critical. This case is no different in that respect. Their lawyers know what they're doing and they'll pick the people they think are right for their jury. It's pretty easy to pick people out that are sympathetic or not.

As Runole said they actually can't be compensated fairly for what they've lost. Even if (and I strongly disagree with you here) they only lost "a year" or had their lives ruined for "just a year" that is too much. You can't repay them for that.

And the bottom line is the gross negligence in this case is just astounding. They deserve everything they get.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 08, 2007, 09:35:00 AM

Those kids lives are scarred for life.

Based on what?

they will be forever considered guilty as you have already shown by your own remarks.

I consider them guilty of rape?? ..... Try again.

THEY WERE INNOCENT!! and wrongly prosecuted!

So everyone who has been wrongly prosecuted and were innocent are entitled to millions of dollars?  ..... Lawyers have been a major contributor to one of the wrongs of this country.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 08, 2007, 09:49:20 AM

What you need to realize, B&B is the deep psychological effects from being scrutinized by the national media. They were called rapists by people all over the country who were too ignorant to see the facts just to be proven innocent. A normal person would be scarred by this. If it happened to me, I know for a fact that everywhere I went I would feel people were looking at me. That they knew who I was and they knew what I was accused of. They have an opinion on it. What if they don't think I was really innocent? Just because there was a ton of evidence to prove they were innocent doesn't mean they're going to think that way when they think of what others think about them. 

Jury selection is always critical. This case is no different in that respect. Their lawyers know what they're doing and they'll pick the people they think are right for their jury. It's pretty easy to pick people out that are sympathetic or not.

If it does go to a jury trial, the defense will tear up their private lives before and after the incident. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

As Runole said they actually can't be compensated fairly for what they've lost. Even if (and I strongly disagree with you here) they only lost "a year" or had their lives ruined for "just a year" that is too much. You can't repay them for that.

One year of a person's life is now invaluable?? I don't buy it...

And the bottom line is the gross negligence in this case is just astounding. They deserve everything they get.

Agreed that the gross negligence was horrid ..... Disagree that they deserve everything they get if that involves $10 milliond per.

Like I said before, if they WERE truly scarred for life and unable to function within our society for the rest of their lives, I wouldn't have a problem with the exorbitant amount ... That's just not the case here, IMO.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 08, 2007, 09:50:35 AM

So everyone who has been wrongly prosecuted and were innocent are entitled to millions of dollars?  ..... Lawyers have been a major contributor to one of the wrongs of this country.

If prosecutors maliciously and knowingly charge them and withhold exculpatory evidence then yeah, you get paid.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#35 : October 08, 2007, 03:13:44 PM

Those kids lives are scarred for life.

Based on what?

The national circus that surrounded the case. The intense media coverage.  While you may not remember what they look like that doesn't mean a large segment of the population will just forget. Once you are on the "national stage" even after it dies down their "past" will always lie just below the surface..  and will be used against them whenever needed.  "Oh weren't you that Lacrosse player accused of rape?" Just that alone is worth whatever they get from the courts.

they will be forever considered guilty as you have already shown by your own remarks.

I consider them guilty of rape?? ..... Try again.

Didn't say you did consider them guilty of rape but you have made the following remarks on this thread:
"Punks should have been happy they got off and went on with their lives."  , Why are they Punks?

"they did somewhat put themselves in a position for bad things to happen"   How do you know this?

You still feel they did something wrong with your own remarks.. Why is that?  You actually are proving everyone's point by your opinion on these kids.  You would be the perfect witness for their Lawyers doubling or perhaps tripling their settlement.

THEY WERE INNOCENT!! and wrongly prosecuted!

Most certainly!   Now if it was just an honest mistake by the prosecution that was rectified quickly, I would agree that No Harm No Foul.   However, the prosecution chose to continue to drag these kids threw the mud even though they knew they were wrong and had no case!   They were more interested in WINNING and not looking bad than actually pursuing justice in the matter.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#36 : October 10, 2007, 11:56:13 AM

The question here isn't whether or not these kids deserve 10 million dollars apiece.  They are going to claim their lives have been ruined and that will be decided by a jury.  What's more important here is that the government that allowed this to go on needs to lose about 30 million dollars.  If they are to lose that much money then it is going to be a big wake up call not just for this government, but all governments.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#37 : October 10, 2007, 12:05:13 PM

Their private lives don't have anything to do with this lawsuit.

If the defense wants to play that game it will be struck from the record. They're not on trial.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#38 : October 10, 2007, 04:56:09 PM

The question here isn't whether or not these kids deserve 10 million dollars apiece.  They are going to claim their lives have been ruined and that will be decided by a jury.  What's more important here is that the government that allowed this to go on needs to lose about 30 million dollars.  If they are to lose that much money then it is going to be a big wake up call not just for this government, but all governments.

You are correct!  It is all about accountability and when a criminal justice is lacking  accountability for their actions it is a very chilling thought! Too many just allow it to happen and take the "GOVT is always right" approach!  Bad idea! and why Hitler's of the world succeed.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#39 : October 10, 2007, 05:10:04 PM

Then then they won't be able to use the "ruined lives" argument ...

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#40 : October 10, 2007, 05:13:54 PM

Reasonable .... but what would be admirable would be, if they won, to give the lion's share of the award to programs for REAL rape victims .... if there's any left after the lawyers.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#41 : October 10, 2007, 05:14:18 PM

How about Public lives?

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 10, 2007, 08:47:35 PM

How about Public lives?

Public lives are fair game .... ask Brittany and Paris. Their public lives should have ended when all the charges were dropped.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#43 : October 11, 2007, 08:59:22 AM

Reasonable .... but what would be admirable would be, if they won, to give the lion's share of the award to programs for REAL rape victims .... if there's any left after the lawyers.

Well how about the fact that these guys are also victims, REAL victims, of an shocking abuse of government power. There's a lot of hemming and hawing about pseudo-abuses or things that are sort of gray line things. In this case the actions were not "heat of the moment", they were not accidental and it wasn't anyone just going a "bit too far". This was a DA who was willing to put a group of men in jail for a very, very long time on charges he knew were false. Is there anything worse from a government official?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#44 : October 11, 2007, 01:21:22 PM

Well how about the fact that these guys are also victims, REAL victims, of an shocking abuse of government power. There's a lot of hemming and hawing about pseudo-abuses or things that are sort of gray line things. In this case the actions were not "heat of the moment", they were not accidental and it wasn't anyone just going a "bit too far". This was a DA who was willing to put a group of men in jail for a very, very long time on charges he knew were false. Is there anything worse from a government official?

agree!  This worship of the government and its actions is a bit disturbing. 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Duke players sue Nifong, police, and Durham « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools