Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Duke players sue Nifong, police, and Durham « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#45 : October 11, 2007, 03:59:39 PM

Reasonable .... but what would be admirable would be, if they won, to give the lion's share of the award to programs for REAL rape victims .... if there's any left after the lawyers.

Well how about the fact that these guys are also victims, REAL victims, of an shocking abuse of government power. There's a lot of hemming and hawing about pseudo-abuses or things that are sort of gray line things. In this case the actions were not "heat of the moment", they were not accidental and it wasn't anyone just going a "bit too far". This was a DA who was willing to put a group of men in jail for a very, very long time on charges he knew were false. Is there anything worse from a government official?

And the DA will be flipping hamburgers at McDonalds until he retires .... The three "victims" here could actually become DA's if they wanted to. What happened was a huge travesty but, as far as I know, their lives haven't been ruined. I'm open to anything you have to dispute this.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#46 : October 11, 2007, 06:12:19 PM

And the DA will be flipping hamburgers at McDonalds until he retires .... The three "victims" here could actually become DA's if they wanted to. What happened was a huge travesty but, as far as I know, their lives haven't been ruined. I'm open to anything you have to dispute this.

You have an odd view of punishment. Dude breaks into your house, steals your TV and a bunch of other stuff to make it a felony. You are really not adversely affected because you have insurance. So why are you messing up his life with 5 years in jail?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#47 : October 12, 2007, 11:43:00 AM

You have an odd view of punishment. Dude breaks into your house, steals your TV and a bunch of other stuff to make it a felony. You are really not adversely affected because you have insurance. So why are you messing up his life with 5 years in jail?

You're right, I should be suing Dude for $10 million instead ..... 

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#48 : October 13, 2007, 06:22:42 PM

Interesting counter question here:

Why are they just going after the city and police? Why not go after the NAACP and Jesse Jackson
they were just as liable for their names being thrown in the mud? Anyone?

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#49 : October 13, 2007, 11:03:10 PM

Why are they just going after the city and police? Why not go after the NAACP and Jesse Jackson they were just as liable for their names being thrown in the mud? Anyone?

Because the NAACP and Jesse Jackson were acting based upon what the white government officials were saying ....

#50 : October 13, 2007, 11:18:56 PM

This is an almost worst case scenario in terms of abuse of governmental power vis a vis it's citizens. A prosecutor knowingly prosecutes innocent men for his own gain, he subverts the legal system in order to do so. This is about as close as you come to having someone use the Bill of Rights as toilet paper and someone thinks the punishment here is too rough?

I don't see how having the government pay these guys ten million each can be considered punishment of the prosecutor that was in the wrong. If anything, it's punishing us, the taxpayer.

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#51 : October 14, 2007, 01:51:13 PM

But didnt they drag their names into the mudd too???
Everyday on TV thats all I saw. I dont think I even say Nifong but twice.

Why are they just going after the city and police? Why not go after the NAACP and Jesse Jackson they were just as liable for their names being thrown in the mud? Anyone?

Because the NAACP and Jesse Jackson were acting based upon what the white government officials were saying ....

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#52 : October 14, 2007, 09:40:27 PM

By that reasoning, they should sue every cable news network and every news service ...

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#53 : October 14, 2007, 10:07:13 PM

By that reasoning, they should sue every cable news network and every news service ...

They didn't start the fire. They weren't grossly negligent in their coverage. They can't put anyone on trial or behind bars.

Nice try.

dr3z

Hall of Famer

#54 : October 14, 2007, 11:37:22 PM

Actualy by that reasoning they should sue the city of Durham..................O' Wait............

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#55 : October 15, 2007, 08:24:17 PM

They didn't start the fire. They weren't grossly negligent in their coverage. They can't put anyone on trial or behind bars.

Nice try.

Neither can JJ and the NAACP .... That was my point.

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#56 : October 17, 2007, 05:03:23 AM

good hope they get every damn penny.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Duke players sue Nifong, police, and Durham « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools