Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jets = 2006 Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1

gone

Hall of Famer
: October 06, 2007, 12:52:37 AM

Here's an interesting article that should be read by a lot of peeps here.  It's about the Jets, but it could just as easily be about the 06 Bucs.  I know a lot of guys here understand this already, but a lot never got it, even though we tried to explain it.  It's written for the Sun by Football Outsider Smith.  It really explains why Bruce's issues really hurt us in 06, why we were able to be effective with Simms even though he was a one-trick pony, and why Garcia is making such a big difference.  It's a worthwhile read on how the pass, while perhaps not "setting up the run" needs to be working to avoid "hosing the run".  All without ever talking about the Bucs.

http://www.nysun.com/article/63949

Here's a key part, but I suggest the full read, it's worth it.

"The Jets throw short passes almost exclusively. The offensive emphasis on accurate passes that gain ground in small chunks makes sense, to some extent, because quarterback Chad Pennington is not known for his arm strength. But while those short passes might be well suited to Pennington's skills, they have made it easier for opposing teams to line up with eight in the box and bottle up Jones. When opposing safeties know the Jets won't test them with deep passes, it's easy for them to stay in close to the line of scrimmage and help out in run support."

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#1 : October 06, 2007, 01:12:53 AM

That does sound like a good reason why Thomas Jones with that line isn't doing big things there. But I guess they had a drop-off there, as I remember Pennington hitting Coles and Cotchery for some nice gains and them usually doing something after the ctach.

Moosedrool

Starter

#2 : October 06, 2007, 02:02:14 AM

Really, a lot never got this? Someone needs to write another story about how a bad offense can destroy a good defense. Errr...pick up the Chicago Tribune next week.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 06, 2007, 06:14:02 AM

Really, a lot never got this? Someone needs to write another story about how a bad offense can destroy a good defense. Errr...pick up the Chicago Tribune next week.
I think the Bears are going to smash the Packers.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#4 : October 06, 2007, 06:19:41 AM

That does sound like a good reason why Thomas Jones with that line isn't doing big things there.

He didnt do much with our line either.

He's no great back.  Never was.

drywallbuc

Starter

#5 : October 06, 2007, 09:47:16 AM

if bears beat pack today, wonder if the pack start to take the big slide backwards. pack has decent def. brian greasy will give them td's today.

buy american
hire american
save america

boycott chinese goods

Fresh

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 06, 2007, 09:51:36 AM

Michael Pittman runs into darkness not daylight

Quote from: True Playa
I'm a playa from way back and playa's gotta play. I'm straight pimpin'. Southside OG's keep it real. Represent the third coast.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 06, 2007, 10:24:09 AM

I don't even think you have to get that detailed schematically. The 2006 Jets are like the 2005 Bucs because neither were very talented - they squeaked by all the bad-to-mediocre teams and got smoked by the good teams. Then the next year they both got harder schedules and the rest of the league caught up. The end.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 06, 2007, 11:04:59 AM

I agree FRG.

I would also add that Chad Pennington is an accurate passer downfield even though he has a noodle arm.

gone

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 06, 2007, 11:35:54 AM

Did you even read it?  Based on your comment it's pretty clear you didn't.... It hasn't got anything to do with defenses.   And quite a few people here never got how much that lack of a deep ball affected the run game last year.  Then again, you weren't around back then, so you really have no way to know.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 06, 2007, 11:59:45 AM

An interesting read, thanks 'doc.

When comparing the jets woes to the '06 Bucs, the Jets are struggling with a respected QB that throws mostly short. Last year, Grads not only didn't throw long, he had no respect or reputation with the opposing Ds so they felt comfortable putting 8 or 9 in the box which lead to no running and short passes with no YAC.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 06, 2007, 12:52:06 PM

I would also add that Chad Pennington is an accurate passer downfield even though he has a noodle arm.
Agreed. I think Pennington has been the most under appreciated QB of the last 5+ years.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jets = 2006 Bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools