Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offense being 32nd « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

IanD15

Rookie

#30 : November 17, 2006, 05:38:43 PM

His first throw was a pick but after that he was the one who led us back and gave us a shot at the game. Cadillac didnt do anything of course. Without his throw and run TD we would have been out of it after the first play.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#31 : November 17, 2006, 05:49:17 PM

Simms was awful and would have been benched in favor of Gradkowski had he continued to play the way he was before the injury.

Which is why after the third game, Simms looked to be ready to start turning things around. He played a nice game versus Carolina, and in the end, the defense lost that one...Simms again brought the team back from the dead, and was about to turn it on, from what I can see.

Great point with a TD and rushing TD keeping us in that game. The play call on 3rd and 1 to throw that bomb and our defensive is what made us lose that game. He definately turned it around though.

1TD:1INT
54% Completion
67.9 passer rating
Yeah, he was lighting it up...

It never ceases to amaze me how some can take numbers and miscorellate them...

Simms played a decent game versus Carolina, and we were in position to win a game that the Bucs had no right to be winning to begin with.  Simms was playing better, and showing signs of turning his game around.  He definitely played with a grit that hasn't been seen around Tampa for a while, that is for sure.

Personally, and for the last time, I would like to see Simms back as the QB.  Next year, the line will (should be ) better, maybe the run game will exist in some form, and maybe they bring in some help with that 28 million they have to spend...

gone

Hall of Famer
#32 : November 17, 2006, 05:52:41 PM

If that's all it takes to impress you, I don't know what to say.  He played better than the first two games.  That's it.  Not great, not well, just "better than his first two games".  Moderately well. Not terrible.

Carolina isn't exactly a juggernaut, in case you didn't notice....

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#33 : November 17, 2006, 05:54:13 PM

If that's all it takes to impress you, I don't know what to say. He played better than the first two games. That's it. Not great, not well, just "better than his first two games". Moderately well. Not terrible.

Carolina isn't exactly a juggernaut, in case you didn't notice....
Didn't look like it last year right about now either, in case you did not notice.  Carolina, for some reason, lacks a run game.  It may correct itself, maybe not, but that defense and Steve Smith will make a push for the playoffs, and the Bucs won't.

gone

Hall of Famer
#34 : November 17, 2006, 05:55:55 PM

Simms was awful and would have been benched in favor of Gradkowski had he continued to play the way he was before the injury.

Which is why after the third game, Simms looked to be ready to start turning things around. He played a nice game versus Carolina, and in the end, the defense lost that one...Simms again brought the team back from the dead, and was about to turn it on, from what I can see.

Great point with a TD and rushing TD keeping us in that game. The play call on 3rd and 1 to throw that bomb and our defensive is what made us lose that game. He definately turned it around though.

1TD:1INT
54% Completion
67.9 passer rating
Yeah, he was lighting it up...

It never ceases to amaze me how some can take numbers and miscorellate them...

Simms played a decent game versus Carolina, and we were in position to win a game that the Bucs had no right to be winning to begin with.  Simms was playing better, and showing signs of turning his game around.  He definitely played with a grit that hasn't been seen around Tampa for a while, that is for sure.

Personally, and for the last time, I would like to see Simms back as the QB.  Next year, the line will (should be ) better, maybe the run game will exist in some form, and maybe they bring in some help with that 28 million they have to spend...

Simms was OK Boid, nothing more.  Better than the prior 2 weeks.  That's all.  If it looked better, it was only by comparison to those two.  No way can you look at that whole game and call it a Good performance, only "Good by comparison".  Like looking at Grads, you can't say any of those games were Good, only "good for a rookie".

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#35 : November 17, 2006, 06:03:51 PM

And C-doc, what has Grads done to impress you?

His numbers are run of the mill, manager type stuff.  Maybe when he progresses, he will become a better QB.  

This whole GRads argument makes me weary.  Grads is not exhibiting the traits that make me go "Thats it".  He is playing adequatley, and not really showing us any thing for the future, unless scrambling for 4-5 yards is all this offense needs.  His passes are not a thing of beauty, his throws get batted down at about the same clip (16 to 1, vs. 23 to 1)...the drives are more consistent, but the points totals are the same.  I think he is valuable because he gives the defense more time to breath, and that is great and all, but points are needed, rook QB or not.

Gruden WILL sign a vet QB, or resign Simms.  And if he resigns Simms, I will expect Simms to have a lights out TC again next year, and give Grads a run for his money.

gone

Hall of Famer
#36 : November 17, 2006, 06:52:47 PM

And C-doc, what has Grads done to impress you?

His numbers are run of the mill, manager type stuff.  Maybe when he progresses, he will become a better QB. 

This whole GRads argument makes me weary.  Grads is not exhibiting the traits that make me go "Thats it".  He is playing adequatley, and not really showing us any thing for the future, unless scrambling for 4-5 yards is all this offense needs.  His passes are not a thing of beauty, his throws get batted down at about the same clip (16 to 1, vs. 23 to 1)...the drives are more consistent, but the points totals are the same.  I think he is valuable because he gives the defense more time to breath, and that is great and all, but points are needed, rook QB or not.

Gruden WILL sign a vet QB, or resign Simms.  And if he resigns Simms, I will expect Simms to have a lights out TC again next year, and give Grads a run for his money.
Grads hasn't done anything to impress me.  He's playing as well as I would expect a rookie to play, and that's a good sign but nothing more.  I just don't get the mad Simms love I see here.
He inherited a 5-1 team from Greise.  Went 6-5 as a starter.  He had a 1,000 rusher and the #1 defense in the NFL behind him.  I pull stats on him vs. his rookie replacement and see only minor differences.  Think about what that says about him for a minute.  GREISE went 5-1 with a team that he barely went over .500 with.
On to this year:
A team losing it's starting QB should have big issues.  Yet there is a legitimate argument this team is actually better under a rookie.  For a guy that a ton of people here seem to think is the next big star, it's really odd that his numbers aren't much better than a rookies, don't you think? 
With the awful state of the team this year, the rookie is having the better year.  And the rookie's numbers are only slightly poorer than Simms' when backed by a far better cast  last year.  Numbers may not tell the whole story, but they do cap the picture -- Simms was only marginally better than a rookie with no deep ball at the moment.
I don't love Grads.  I don't hate Simms.  But I can't see how everyone thinks Simms was a star QB.  He was mediocre, with a nice deep ball, but tons of mistakes.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Offense being 32nd « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools