Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Lean Toward Going With 2 QBs « previous next »
Page: 1 2

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
: September 30, 2006, 07:02:25 PM

Full article-   http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGBLTKXLMSE.html

The two paragraphs below stood out to me in particular.   I'm just hoping Gruden feels the same about getting the ball to #24.   I think Bruce is in a tough situation but if he can protect the ball and get some help I think we can finally get a win.   Defense is probably the biggest concern behind starting a rookie QB and it's tough to see the Bucs in last place for run defense.   

Gradkowski said the biggest adjustment is for the players around him. That's why he is somewhat thankful the Bucs have two weeks to prepare for his first game. He won't deny, though, that he is eager to play that game.

"I'm just eager to get out there and play," he said. "But when I do, I'm just going to try to manage the game - get Cadillac [Williams] the football, get the ball in the receivers' hands and manage the game. The guys around me are the guys who'll be making the plays."

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#1 : September 30, 2006, 07:31:09 PM

With Rattay it would be 1.5 QBs.

#2 : September 30, 2006, 07:33:02 PM

With Rattay it would be 1.5 QBs.
sadly it's more like .5, Rattay = -1.5

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 30, 2006, 08:05:42 PM

Ok Rattay hasn't impressed in training but he has at least got starting experience.  He is meant to be better on gameday so we can hope he will run the O efficiently if needed.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#4 : September 30, 2006, 08:58:38 PM

kinda nervous to have only 2 qbs, one of them being a rookie, and the other a ex-49er....

but there really arent any better options right now

No king, no maddox, none of that crap

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#5 : September 30, 2006, 09:09:55 PM

If we are going with two they should at least add a QB to the practice squad.  Then you have someone in case of emergencies, someone who will at least be familiar with the system.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 30, 2006, 09:11:07 PM

If we are going with two they should at least add a QB to the practice squad.  Then you have someone in case of emergencies, someone who will at least be familiar with the system.

Maybe when/IF Simms is moved to IR they will move someone from the PS and free space up.  Then I would hope they add Lefors to the PS.

SimmsandCadillac

Starter

#7 : September 30, 2006, 09:13:36 PM

It does worry me a bit that we will be going with only two QB's.  But to my knowledge that will only be a couple of weeks seeing as Luke can come back as soon as we've played 6 games.

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#8 : September 30, 2006, 09:17:58 PM

Maybe when/IF Simms is moved to IR they will move someone from the PS and free space up.  Then I would hope they add Lefors to the PS.

I like the idea of two QB's on the roster and one on the PS.  It gives an extra spot on the active roster so the team can maybe add someone who will contribute.  Maybe if it works out Gruden might go with it that way next year.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 30, 2006, 09:21:56 PM

The big problem with a QB on the PS is when a QB goes down in the NFL other teams will raid your PS.  It works OK with a young QB for a year but anyone half decent QB will find a roster spot somewhere.

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#10 : September 30, 2006, 09:28:52 PM

I think you are right MJS there definitely is a risk.  But it sure would be nice to have a young guy in the wings who is back up emergency material while not taking up a spot on the active roster.  We will see a lot of teams are trying it out.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#11 : September 30, 2006, 09:37:49 PM

The big problem with a QB on the PS is when a QB goes down in the NFL other teams will raid your PS.  It works OK with a young QB for a year but anyone half decent QB will find a roster spot somewhere.

"Veteran" (lets call them that for this conversation) players are not allowed to be on the PS.  I can see this working becuase it is highly unlikely a team raids the PS for a third string QB that lacks experience if they have an injury to a QB.  You have your starting QB and a vet on your roster while a rookie or second year player is on your PS.  If the second year player improves you bring him up and cut ties with the vet.  Rinse and repeat.

I would not be suprised if Gruden drafted another QB to put on the PS this coming off season.  Gruden normally likes to keep four QB's (one being on the PS) but he is slowly evolving as head coach and changing the way he does things.  There were a few teams that have 2 QB's on their rosters to start off the year.  But I am not sure if that is the case at this point.

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#12 : September 30, 2006, 10:37:24 PM

Maybe McCown is closer to coming back than we think and they will ride it out with two for a short while.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 30, 2006, 10:39:38 PM

Maybe McCown is closer to coming back than we think and they will ride it out with two for a short while.

McCown is very close to being fit.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#14 : September 30, 2006, 10:56:18 PM

Rattay's days as a Buccaneer are numbered.  :o
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Lean Toward Going With 2 QBs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools