Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Parcells As GM? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#135 : November 24, 2007, 05:52:45 PM

i don't recall their salary cap situation after he left but i don't believe it was especially bad.  definitely wasn't worse than what we saw here. anyways i'm referring mostly to his ability to draft, not number crunch or coach.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#136 : November 25, 2007, 01:13:57 AM

Parcells was with NE from 93-96.  He took over a 2-14 team and within two years, coached the team to a 10-6 record and its first playoff game in eight years. In 1996, he guided the Patriots to the Super Bowl.  During this time he drafted Drew Bledsoe, Troy Brown, Chris Slade, Willie McGinest, Ty Law, Ted Johnson, Curtis Martin, Dave Wohlabaugh, Jimmy Hitch**CENSORED**, Terry Glen, Lawyer Milloy, Tedy Bruschi, etc. Don't know how you could consider that a team on the decline.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#137 : November 26, 2007, 09:38:16 AM

6 players out of 53 players is only 11% of the roster.  The rest of the roster BB assembled (89%).

And those 6 players were not exactly spring chickens.  Especially Bledsoe who was replaced by Brady.  But of course facts are always lost in an honest discussion it seems.
I wasn't even including Bledsoe, but yes, Parcells does have the drafting of a QB who threw for the 7th most yards in NFL history. Nor was I including Martin who is the #4 rusher in NFL history. Nor was I talking about Terry Glenn who has had multiple 1,000 yard seasons while playing in his 30's. My list was Brown, McGinest, Johnson, Milloy, and Bruschi, so I guess that's only 5.

As far as your 6 out of 53 players, it really should be 5 out of 22 starters, which is 23%. After that you do realize New England had 5 drafts between Parcells' last game and Belichick's first Super Bowl so that's roughly 35 new players not to mention all the free agents they could have brought in. That's pretty good in my book. If you're not impressed with this, who are you impressed with in football?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#138 : November 26, 2007, 03:46:51 PM

Let me preface this by saying that I am a Gruden/ Allen/ Doug Williams fan, and I feel that they have done a decent job with our personnel over the last few years. That said, I think all of us would agree that Parcells did a much better job in Dallas over that same time.

I do not believe that Allen is a puppet to Gruden, but I do believe that he probably defers to the requests of his coaching staff on personnel moves more than most GMs do. Parcells would bring a different dynamic as someone who has been evaluating NFL talent for 30 years. Ideally Allen and Williams would stay on board, Allen being in more of a cap management type role, as that is where he has proven to be extremely talented, but Parcells would have the last say on Personnel. I also think that the give and take between Parcells and Gruden would make for even better personnel acquisitions than what Parcells did in Dallas.

If McKay was too much for Gruden to deal with Parcells will have him hanging himself. We do need someone that knows how to find talent because we don't have that person now. Since you think Allen runs the show and they are good at finding talent "over the past few years", then for one you should be happy and secondly how would you like to buy the Skyway bridge from me, or some fine Florida swamp land?

McKay putting more planning into the Draft Day Dash then he put into the Draft itself, and then wanting to run the show is what made Gruden unable to deal with him. I think Gruden and Allen have done a good job drafting talent and recognizing and working to improve the teams weaknesses as evidence by this years success and the many "new faces" involved. The only point I wanted to make is that Parcells could be that guy who helps us find the next Tom Brady or Tony Romo, but if you thought McKay was the right GM then maybe you should be an Atlanta fan. Oh wait, he won't be there much longer either.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#139 : November 26, 2007, 04:17:19 PM

I wasn't even including Bledsoe, but yes, Parcells does have the drafting of a QB who threw for the 7th most yards in NFL history. Nor was I including Martin who is the #4 rusher in NFL history. Nor was I talking about Terry Glenn who has had multiple 1,000 yard seasons while playing in his 30's. My list was Brown, McGinest, Johnson, Milloy, and Bruschi, so I guess that's only 5.

Bledsoe without Parcell's coaching clearly showed his flaws.  He was more of a system player IMVHO despite his draft status. 

Curtis Martin is a future HOF but are you ready to tip your hat to Sam Wyche for Derrick Brooks and Warren Sapp?  Probably not.

Terry Glenn?  You can't be serious.

You do realize that was not a Parcell's draft pick and was the reason why he left in anger due to Kraft insisting Glenn to be drafted over whom Parcells wanted? 

As far as your 6 out of 53 players, it really should be 5 out of 22 starters, which is 23%. After that you do realize New England had 5 drafts between Parcells' last game and Belichick's first Super Bowl so that's roughly 35 new players not to mention all the free agents they could have brought in. That's pretty good in my book. If you're not impressed with this, who are you impressed with in football?

That is not good and has been highlighted throughout this thread as to why that is the case.  Who am I impressed with? BB/Pioli, Ozzie Newsome, Polian, etc.

The Patriots team assembled by BB/Pioli is not just about starters but a team...a solid 53 man roster top to bottom.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#140 : November 30, 2007, 08:30:29 AM

So how is this working out for you?

My positon hasn't changed.

Patriots clobbered the Cowboys or did you conviniently forget? I figured no need to bump this thread to embarass the Cowboy lovers. :o
I never said the Boys were better than the Pats. But you did say the Ravens, Seahawks, Titans, Jaguars, and Redskins were better. Is ESPN still clouding my judgement? (Because I'm a nice guy I'll give you the Packers, even though I don't think they're better.)
Well, I guess the Packers aren't better than the Cowboys. Silly me.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bill Parcells As GM? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools