Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spotlight: Donald Penn « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

: October 10, 2007, 12:25:56 PM

After the Buccs game vs. the Indianapolis Colts, many Buccs fans had differing opinions as to how Donald Penn performed in his first NFL start. I knew what I thought of his performance after my first viewing of the game, so I was somewhat baffled to read some of the critique by others on various fan message boards. I wanted to go back and re-evaluate after a couple days. What I did was review the first half of the game, watched each play Penn was on the field multiple times, in some instances frame by frame to get a better idea. The format is as follows......

JJC Blog Spot

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#1 : October 10, 2007, 12:32:55 PM

Why let the facts get in the way of the truth. Great analysis. Thanks.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#2 : October 10, 2007, 12:48:59 PM

nice work. now if we can get better C and RG play, we might be on to something.

penn's job doesn't get much easier .. VDB is coming.

buckit

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 10, 2007, 12:59:14 PM

**it was between these last two plays that Moose Johnston was commenting on Penn needing help from a TE and a RB to neutralize Freeney. That simply was not the case during the first half, and Freeney has 1/2 sack and 1 tackle the entire first half. It's these comments that lead me to believe the opinion of Penn playing poorly came from. Freeney doesn't record another tackle for the rest of the game.

Honestly, that kind of performance would be acceptable of any non-pro bowl lineman.  That kind of performance from a rookie is especially encouraging.  Great article, ABuccs.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

#4 : October 10, 2007, 03:48:21 PM

I miss ABuccs around here, he knows his stuff but at times posting information here is like taking a gallon out of a piss ocean, it doesn't make much of a difference.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 10, 2007, 03:49:37 PM

Must be snowing in Key West becuase I observed the same things as well with Penn. 8)

#6 : October 10, 2007, 05:43:18 PM

Must be snowing in Key West becuase I observed the same things as well with Penn. 8)
Riiiiight, sure you did. Aren't you the same guy that said Wade only looked bad because he was playing next to Mahan?

You're under arrest!

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 10, 2007, 05:47:16 PM

Penn did very nicely - would have been a good home field performance - as it was in Indy, against an elite DE, a very good D, and with all that noise - remarkably good is about as low an evaluation as I can give him.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 10, 2007, 10:33:33 PM

Riiiiight, sure you did. Aren't you the same guy that said Wade only looked bad because he was playing next to Mahan?

You're under arrest!

Please post what I said correctly if you are attempting to flame me next time.

I have repeatedly said with Mahan (guard) playing next to Wade it mangified Wade's weaknesses.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#9 : October 10, 2007, 11:13:08 PM

After the Buccs game vs. the Indianapolis Colts, many Buccs fans had differing opinions as to how Donald Penn performed in his first NFL start. I knew what I thought of his performance after my first viewing of the game, so I was somewhat baffled to read some of the critique by others on various fan message boards. I wanted to go back and re-evaluate after a couple days. What I did was review the first half of the game, watched each play Penn was on the field multiple times, in some instances frame by frame to get a better idea. The format is as follows......

JJC Blog Spot

Nice work.  I did the exact same thing after the inital post showed up doggin Penn.   I was baffled by it and in typical fashion the announcers and the ESPN hacks just parrot the same ol same ol without any facts to back up what they say.

Penn had a very good outing and Garcia can feel comfortable back there with him in.  In fact I believe he is better than Pettigout in pass pro.  I watched Luke get beat in the Seahawk game and he just loafed as his man circled back and crushed Garcia from behind.    Yes, he his run blocking needs work but his focus was protecting Garcia.   

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 10, 2007, 11:49:09 PM

Amazing that everyone who knows football thinks the guys struggled and it is only people on this MB that think he did well. He's helped, Garcia is throwing fast out of a lack of faith. Nahhh, Penn is fine. Hell, he's a future pro bowler. Again, same cast of offenders who thought that AD was doing a good job. Shocker.

Next week, the great game by BJ Askew.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

blitz

Pro Bowler
#11 : October 11, 2007, 12:42:50 AM

Amazing that everyone who knows football thinks the guys struggled and it is only people on this MB that think he did well. He's helped, Garcia is throwing fast out of a lack of faith. Nahhh, Penn is fine. Hell, he's a future pro bowler. Again, same cast of offenders who thought that AD was doing a good job. Shocker.

At least you don't let the facts get in the way of your typical negative postings.    Pettigout was not all world out there.......he sure looked crappy against Seattle.   Almost go Garcia killed in that game and also blew assignments in the Rams game that flushed Garcia out of the pocket.   And then there were the bull rushes where his guy collapsed the pocket.   I can't believe anyone could say Penn looked worse than Pettitgout.    Stop watching the cheerleaders !

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 11, 2007, 03:27:58 AM

It's kind of hard to watch the cheerleaders during a TV broadcast of the game.    Unfortunately, they only show them a few times when going to and returning from commercial breaks.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 11, 2007, 08:11:40 AM

Everyone knows this game was setup for Penn to do terribly.  If he'd played as such I'd have expected your usual satire to be stinging and on point.  However, as my coaches used to say, "the eye in the sky don't lie".  The tape shows that the guy did no worst than Pettigout and much better than AD.  the tape shows that Moose Johnson was just searching for things to say as to why our offense couldn't get going as you can tell by the transscript provided by ABuccs was on point.  Maybe it wasn't all of the offensive lines fault after all.  I know that's a bit much for some of us here to admit or swallow, Hell, who else would we blame without our favorite and convenient whipping boys...

BTW, it'd be great for BJ to elevate his game once again since his lead blocking has been spectacular... ;)

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 11, 2007, 08:51:59 AM

Everyone knows this game was setup for Penn to do terribly.  If he'd played as such I'd have expected your usual satire to be stinging and on point.  However, as my coaches used to say, "the eye in the sky don't lie".  The tape shows that the guy did no worst than Pettigout and much better than AD. 

Yeah but you watched the tape and AD was good too. I seem to recall a lot of long conversations about this. Penn was weak run blocking, was helped in pass blocking and allowed pressuree throughout the game.

People continue to have this view that a "bad" game looks like Justice but that was a phenomenally awful, putird game of historic sclaes. Davis is a bad LOT and guys didn't run by him on every play either.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spotlight: Donald Penn « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools