Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spotlight: Donald Penn « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 11, 2007, 09:33:19 AM

As I stated elsewhere, in isolating on Penn I found that he did a good job for his first start. He is clearly the most athletic LOT we've had here in some time.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 11, 2007, 10:37:39 AM

As I stated elsewhere, in isolating on Penn I found that he did a good job for his first start. He is clearly the most athletic LOT we've had here in some time.

I had the time to go back and review the game again isolating on Penn.   I think he struggled early and got beat a few times when he tried blocking Feeney one on one, but he did pretty well overall.   (Anyone would have trouble with Freeney)   I believe our game plan helped him alot, but as you said, he did a good job for his first start.  After reviewing that Colts game, I looked at some series with Petitgout in there.   I don't see alot of difference.   I had initially said it was a huge loss to lose Petitgout, but now I'm thinking Penn might be able to do the job.   If Penn strings a few solid games together, he might be a good LT.   

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 11, 2007, 10:38:48 AM

I had the time to go back and review the game again isolating on Penn.   I think he struggled early

Well, aside from the very first snap of the game, eh?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 11, 2007, 10:43:52 AM

He was checking out a Colt cheerleader on that play.   She was spanking the other cheerleader's butt.   You can't blame him.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 11, 2007, 10:47:26 AM

He was checking out a Colt cheerleader on that play.   She was spanking the other cheerleader's butt.   You can't blame him.

Huh? He completely took Freeney out of the play and brought him to the ground, unassisted.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 11, 2007, 10:51:29 AM

I don't have that play to review.   The internet download starts with the 2nd series.     They must have started recording late.   In the 2nd series, Play one of that series, Sears moves to the left to help Penn with Freeney and the DT Sears should have blocked goes straight through to tackle Pittman for a 4 yard loss.   Play 2 Penn was driven back by Freeney and Freeney tackled Pittman for another loss.   

Again, I don't think Penn played badly.   He was burned at times, but any OL would be burned by Freeney at times.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 11, 2007, 11:04:49 AM

Ah, ok. Yep, on the first snap of the game Penn took Freeney completely out.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#22 : October 11, 2007, 11:09:58 AM

Amazing that everyone who knows football thinks the guys struggled and it is only people on this MB that think he did well. He's helped, Garcia is throwing fast out of a lack of faith. Nahhh, Penn is fine. Hell, he's a future pro bowler. Again, same cast of offenders who thought that AD was doing a good job. Shocker.

Next week, the great game by BJ Askew.
So who is everyone that knows football?  I am ready to be amazed.  

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 11, 2007, 11:14:16 AM

So who is everyone that knows football?  I am ready to be amazed. 

Don't hold your breath waiting to be amazed. The problem is that some of us actually look carefully at the game tape and form our own opinions, we don't wait to be spoon-fed our opinions by "everyone that knows football".

I think Jeff Garcia knows football. He said Penn did a good job for a first-time starter.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 11, 2007, 11:19:54 AM

Don't hold your breath waiting to be amazed. The problem is that some of us actually look carefully at the game tape and form our own opinions, we don't wait to be spoon-fed our opinions by "everyone that knows football".

I think Jeff Garcia knows football. He said Penn did a good job for a first-time starter.

Some of us watch the games too. Get off your high horse.

The last comment is just plain silly, what is Garcia gonna say, "Holy crap I was in fear of my life all game long. I was throwing it so fast you'd have thought the ball was one fire!" Getting an honest opinion out of Garcia on this is like asking for an unbiased view of Gruden from you. Can't and won't ever happen.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 11, 2007, 11:24:21 AM

Well my question still remains - who is in that group of "everyone that knows football"?

I watched the game and went through the replay twice, but clearly I don't have and idea of what I am talking about - so let me know who to contact to be enlightened.  I had a friend over that is an NFL scout - he might want to know as well.  Seems we both are in need of insight as both of us thought the kid did pretty well - and that is before adding in the circumstances.   

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 11, 2007, 11:28:07 AM

I had a friend over that is an NFL scout - he might want to know as well.  Seems we both are in need of insight as both of us thought the kid did pretty well - and that is before adding in the circumstances.   

Obviously you and your friend don't know football, because everyone who DOES know football says Penn sucked rocks.

Allegedly.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 11, 2007, 11:31:28 AM

I am just a little tired today - eating a little too much on the Penn topic as well as Gaines - ready for the real answers -

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 11, 2007, 11:36:51 AM

bviously you and your friend don't know football, because everyone who DOES know football says Penn sucked rocks.

Allegedly.

There's not a lot of faith in your analysis since winning one battle makes his game. He gave up "half a sack" due to the good graces of someone else allowing someone else to blow by them. You give up a sack a game in this league and you are a bad, ney awful, LOT. That's not a good game. When you give up half a sack, force the QB to throw faster, suck in run blocking and need help to achieve that end that's also not good. Most plays the OT will win over the DE. It is why DE's that can, functionally, win one time a game get paid a boatload of jack. Same argument i had with Chev for years,. davis doesn't get skunked 25 out of 30 plays a game but getting beat that often is still the bad sign of bad signs.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#29 : October 11, 2007, 11:44:45 AM

Frankly Dal - what you are describing is not what I watched happen.  Penn did get beat, and he did win a lot of battles.  And giving up 16 sacks a year would be unacceptable.  But then again he won't be facing the Colts and Freeney for 16 games - so at worst I would say he showed me a lot of good play - and at best I found his level of play acceptable to good given the circumstances and location - he did well.

Maybe we should see how he does for the next 3-4 games before hanging the "bad" or "awful" tag on him.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spotlight: Donald Penn « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools