Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spotlight: Donald Penn « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#30 : October 11, 2007, 11:54:40 AM

Good Call, DBuc.

gone

Hall of Famer
#31 : October 11, 2007, 12:16:36 PM

Amazing that everyone who knows football thinks the guys struggled and it is only people on this MB that think he did well. He's helped, Garcia is throwing fast out of a lack of faith. Nahhh, Penn is fine. Hell, he's a future pro bowler. Again, same cast of offenders who thought that AD was doing a good job. Shocker.

Next week, the great game by BJ Askew.

Actually, plenty of people think he did well, not just here.  IDal doesn't let facts get in his way though.  He'll ignore them when he can, and twist them when he can't ignore them.  His claims about Penn's play are quite simply false.  Anyone who watched the game could see it.

You guys have to realise that with Dal, everything sucks.  If Garcia went 28 of 30 he be whining about the two incompletions.  Don't bother taking him seriously, he no longer has perspective on the game.

#32 : October 11, 2007, 12:53:47 PM

bviously you and your friend don't know football, because everyone who DOES know football says Penn sucked rocks.

Allegedly.

There's not a lot of faith in your analysis since winning one battle makes his game. He gave up "half a sack" due to the good graces of someone else allowing someone else to blow by them. You give up a sack a game in this league and you are a bad, ney awful, LOT. That's not a good game. When you give up half a sack, force the QB to throw faster, suck in run blocking and need help to achieve that end that's also not good. Most plays the OT will win over the DE. It is why DE's that can, functionally, win one time a game get paid a boatload of jack. Same argument i had with Chev for years,. davis doesn't get skunked 25 out of 30 plays a game but getting beat that often is still the bad sign of bad signs.
Dude, you're not only under arrest, but you have been convicted and sentenced to a life term without parole in Idiot Prison. Tell us in all your great wisdom and intellect how that 1/2 sack was Penn's fault. I'm guessing you're blind, or already are in prison, and you haven't watched a Buccaneer game since incarceration, and that's why all your posts are stat based. It's tough to have an accurate opinion just reading box scores in the newspaper. Nothing you can ever say will convince me you actually watch the games if you want to fault Penn with that half sack.

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
#33 : October 11, 2007, 01:01:09 PM

It's very difficult to play the LT in a dome when the snap is on a silent count, or cannot be heard.
D-line has advantage to make a quick first step.  IMO Penn was more than adequate in his debut.
Could be the future at LT.  Would give us more ammo to get the much needed palymakers we need on offense, if we don't have to draft or look FA for long-term LT.  If Penn can gain some srength to go with his quickness we may have our LT for years to come.

PS Thanks to the poster for the great analysis and the time taken to do so!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : October 11, 2007, 02:20:07 PM

You guys have to realise that with Dal, everything sucks.  If Garcia went 28 of 30 he be whining about the two incompletions.  Don't bother taking him seriously, he no longer has perspective on the game.

Yes, I have lost perspective. Good call, there's a bunch of folks crowning some undrafted guy as our LOT of the future and as good as Petitgout and I've lost perspective. :)

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#35 : October 11, 2007, 02:48:22 PM

Me, I watch the game, come here read everyone's elses take and form my opinion. I never played nor coached in the NFL nor is my last name Glazer. I also don't review game film each week like the coaches. So, as a fan, I expect the Bucs to be competetive each week and show signs of the franchise progressing. With being out of cap hell, having all of our draft picks, having Gruden, Allen, Kiffin & the Glazers leading the team,  I feel that we are moving forward. Here's proof; 3-2 after 5 games. No one picked those numbers, no one. Let's let them play the remaining 11 games. And by the way, I thought the rookie did pretty good at LT. He's athletic and aggressive. Enjoy the season.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 11, 2007, 02:55:35 PM

And by the way, I thought the rookie did pretty good at LT. He's athletic and aggressive. Enjoy the season.

QFT.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#37 : October 11, 2007, 02:59:31 PM

Homers slay me.  Absolutely slay me.

They act as if throwing out a barb is slapping their mom in the mouth.

Fact is, Penn might have some upside, but he isn't as good as Petty.  And Petty was never a Pro Bowl type of guy, but has always been considered a good LT.  He was actually one of the better LTs the BUcs have EVER had.  And so we lose him, and it is back to the same old conundrum of just throwing a regular old backup out there, and crossing our fingers and praying for some juju magic to keep the "new" guy upright, and in front of someone, preferably a DE.  I am not sold on Penn, and any of you guys who blast by saying, "The goes good ol' Mr. Negative", needs to take a good hard look at yourself, and wonder if you are not just a blind homer.  Reality exists.  And it ain't in the mind of the hopefuls that seem to plug this message board with absolute giant turds of wisdom.

Penn is a LT because of an injury.  

And what is sad about that is, he actually beat out Davis for the job, and Davis was considered by a lot to be a "serviceable" LT.  I felt bad for Simms, now I think I will feel  bad for Garcia.  Because GArcia has no run game as of now, one legit (uninjured) wideout, and a dud protecting his skinny behind.

WE all can hope that Penn plays better than advertised, but we can also say that odds are he will resume a backup role next year, when the BUcs get Luke back, or find another LT to take his place...

What is wrong with saying that?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#38 : October 11, 2007, 03:00:41 PM

And by the way, I thought the rookie did pretty good at LT. He's athletic and aggressive. Enjoy the season.

QFT.
Hope he can keep up the good work.

BUt given the TOP descrepancy in the last game, it is hard to tell exactly who did well on the offensive side of the ball.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : October 11, 2007, 03:06:52 PM

WE all can hope that Penn plays better than advertised, but we can also say that odds are he will resume a backup role next year, when the BUcs get Luke back, or find another LT to take his place...

Not a damn thing wrong with saying that Boid.  Hell- I look to see a lot of improvement in teh squad every year.  Just don't think labeling the guy after one flippin' game is right.  He did well considering the situation.  And yea the TOP limited his exposure - but when he was on the field he did okay - and good if you want to consider Freeney, Colts, and their field (loss of snap count advantage)  Let's see how he does in the next four games - then we should all know.  For now though what is wrong with saying the young man did well in his first game? 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#40 : October 11, 2007, 03:10:20 PM

Not a damn thing wrong with saying that Boid. Hell- I look to see a lot of improvement in teh squad every year. Just don't think labeling the guy after one flippin' game is right. He did well considering the situation. And yea the TOP limited his exposure - but when he was on the field he did okay - and good if you want to consider Freeney, Colts, and their field (loss of snap count advantage) Let's see how he does in the next four games - then we should all know. For now though what is wrong with saying the young man did well in his first game?

QFT.
Hope he can keep up the good work.

I thought I sort of did.

But I am not gushing, nor blasting anyone for thinking Penn ain't the saviour either...as some around this neck of the woods seem to be doing...

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#41 : October 11, 2007, 03:14:30 PM

Nor me Boid, my goal going into the indy game was to get Garcia out of their healthy - whatever the result.  And it got done.  Didn't really note the gushing but that is perspective. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#42 : October 13, 2007, 01:53:43 PM

Homers slay me.  Absolutely slay me.

Fact is, Penn might have some upside, but he isn't as good as Petty.  And Petty was never a Pro Bowl type of guy, but has always been considered a good LT.  He was actually one of the better LTs the BUcs have EVER had.  And so we lose him, and it is back to the same old conundrum of just throwing a regular old backup out there, and crossing our fingers and praying for some juju magic to keep the "new" guy upright, and in front of someone, preferably a DE.  I am not sold on Penn, and any of you guys who blast by saying, "The goes good ol' Mr. Negative", needs to take a good hard look at yourself, and wonder if you are not just a blind homer.  Reality exists.  And it ain't in the mind of the hopefuls that seem to plug this message board with absolute giant turds of wisdom.

And what is sad about that is, he actually beat out Davis for the job, and Davis was considered by a lot to be a "serviceable" LT.  I felt bad for Simms, now I think I will feel  bad for Garcia.  Because GArcia has no run game as of now, one legit (uninjured) wideout, and a dud protecting his skinny behind.

Nothing wrong with wanting to see more.  I want to see him do it more.  However, you can't dispute the fact that the kid played well.  Who cares how he got there.  He didn't embarass himself or the team.  He may not be a Pro Bowler hell only 2 can come from 16 teams...Was the kid effective...I'd say resoundingly yes...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#43 : October 13, 2007, 04:16:07 PM

Homers slay me.  Absolutely slay me.

Fact is, Penn might have some upside, but he isn't as good as Petty.  And Petty was never a Pro Bowl type of guy, but has always been considered a good LT.  He was actually one of the better LTs the BUcs have EVER had.  And so we lose him, and it is back to the same old conundrum of just throwing a regular old backup out there, and crossing our fingers and praying for some juju magic to keep the "new" guy upright, and in front of someone, preferably a DE.  I am not sold on Penn, and any of you guys who blast by saying, "The goes good ol' Mr. Negative", needs to take a good hard look at yourself, and wonder if you are not just a blind homer.  Reality exists.  And it ain't in the mind of the hopefuls that seem to plug this message board with absolute giant turds of wisdom.

And what is sad about that is, he actually beat out Davis for the job, and Davis was considered by a lot to be a "serviceable" LT.  I felt bad for Simms, now I think I will feel  bad for Garcia.  Because GArcia has no run game as of now, one legit (uninjured) wideout, and a dud protecting his skinny behind.

Nothing is wrong with that.....except you're missing the point. Penn played well Sunday against a premiere DE. No one has said he's going to be all world. But anyone, including you who thinks he played bad Sunday well....you get one phone call.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Spotlight: Donald Penn « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools