Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise QB Wanted! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

karen anderson

Practice Squad

« #15 : November 14, 2006, 01:22:35 AM »

Stuck being the operative word! :P

gone

Hall of Famer
« #16 : November 14, 2006, 01:27:11 AM »

Stuck being the operative word! :P
Indeed.  Who knows whether he's "happy to be stuck with you" or trapped in a loveless marriage?  But he's bashed Simms enough and praised this guy enough that I think Simms is gon (and I'd be the last to weep at that, but that's why he's gone more than any other reason).  He's also gonna need a solid season next year, so no draftees for him -- he'll plug the holes elsewhere and hope he can make this kid a Gannon.  Just no time for projects any more.

Here's to hoping Grads turns out better than his last project, Simms...
We can all agree on that as fans, can't we K?

karen anderson

Practice Squad

« #17 : November 14, 2006, 01:30:22 AM »

I am off the koolade. Not gonna happen. This guy (qb) has gotten worse every game.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #18 : November 14, 2006, 01:45:18 AM »

Why is it that we hardly went deep with the QB who could throw deep accurate passes? But Grads has probably gone deep more than Simms. Simms the guy who just sucked in the 3 step drop was called on to perform in that practically every other play. I'm just confused.

This has puzzled me as well

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #19 : November 14, 2006, 01:48:24 AM »

The season dictates, the game dictates.  Right now, we are running more off-base stuff.  Hell, we even saw a fake-shotgun.  Gruden is grasping at straws, trying to get something going on the positive tip.

With Simms, the Bucs run Grudens WCO.  With Grads, we try to take shots because the season is falling apart.  Quick strikes are necessary, the Bucs lack the ability to sustain drives.  Thanks to an anemic run offense...Crackalack Williams.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

« #20 : November 14, 2006, 03:06:32 AM »

I like how everyone makes these grand pronouncements off of 6 whole games of play. He was off on 3 deep passes tonight that cost the game and everyone's back on the "he can't throw deep" wagon. Funny, his deep balls looked damn good against NY and NO...... He is what he is at this point: a rookie QB who struggles with consistency....like all rookie QBs!!! What a surprise!!!  Show me a rookie QB that has 60% or better completion percentage.

This situation reminds me of a bit of Holmgren and Hasselbeck.  Hasselbeck was a 6th round pick. Holmgren stuck with him in Seattle believing he was the guy to run his WCO. And the Seattle fans were calling for his head because he was stubborn to keep playing Hbeck because he sucked....

and you just don't go pick up a franchise QB. Drafting a QB is a crapshot no matter what round you pick in. And I don't see teams just cutting Manning's and Brady's left and right.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #21 : November 14, 2006, 09:12:40 AM »

This situation reminds me of a bit of Holmgren and Hasselbeck.  Hasselbeck was a 6th round pick. Holmgren stuck with him in Seattle believing he was the guy to run his WCO. And the Seattle fans were calling for his head because he was stubborn to keep playing Hbeck because he sucked....

Hasselbeck in Seattle, Year 1:
12 starts, 176 of 321, 7 TDs 8 INTs.

Hasselbeck in Seattle, Year 5:
16 starts, 294 of 449, 24 TDs 9 INTs.

« #22 : November 14, 2006, 09:26:18 AM »

I am off the koolade. Not gonna happen. This guy (qb) has gotten worse every game.

Oh, come on.  Incorrect.  His stats, in general, are worse than his first game.  But he took on much more responsability last night than he had previously.  He played like a rookie.

All I'm saying is Gradkowski is about as good as could be expected right now.

simms22

Second String

« #23 : November 14, 2006, 09:34:20 AM »

Why is it that we hardly went deep with the QB who could throw deep accurate passes

Lots of batted passes, sacks, INTs, poor decision-making, and lousy mechanics are probably among the reasons.
simms deep ball is light years ahead of gradkowskis so thats a pointless arguement. Gradkowski seems to be taking multiple 5 step drops yet gruden couldnt figure out that simms would be better with a 5 step drop? Gradkowski threw picks yesterday, made poor decisions, had batted balls, and ints, so maybe its the sytem.  I just feel like gruden hasnt played to each qbs strengths. Simms should of been dropping back in the 5 step drop more and throwing the deep ball, and gradkowski should be rolling out more which gives me a chance to make plays with his arm and legs.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

« #24 : November 14, 2006, 09:46:13 AM »

JESUS CHRIST

Do any of you Grad bashers follow football at all? If you have watched any other rookie QB in the last ten years you'd know that rookies are horrible, period. What you want to see from a rookie QB is flashes of brilliance. You want to see if they can make all the timing passes, the 3 and 5 step drops. Can they pass on the run? Can they throw deep? Can they look the safety off and read the defense? Do the look to their safety valve when the blitz is coming? Can he manage a game? Does he have good touch on his passes? Is he a leader? Etc.

You want to see these things but you surely don't expect to see them all in one game because even with the best QBs in the league it just doesn't happen the first year. Of those question I think we can check mark a 'yes' next to all of them, maybe not collectively, but a 'yes' or two in every game that he's played. By the end of the season, he should start to put more of those 'yes's together in single games as things begin to slow down around him. That is the next step for Gradkowski.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #25 : November 14, 2006, 09:49:34 AM »

Do any of you Grad bashers follow football at all?

If McCown were to play he would make mistakes as well and then they would start to bash him as well.   ??? ??? ???

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

« #26 : November 14, 2006, 10:03:02 AM »

Hasselbeck in Seattle, Year 1:
12 starts, 176 of 321, 7 TDs 8 INTs.

Hasselbeck in Seattle, Year 5:
16 starts, 294 of 449, 24 TDs 9 INTs.

that's what I was getting at. Hasselbeck gained experience and grew in Holmgren's offense and went on to lead one fo the most potent offenses in football and take them to a SB. Now, I'm not saying that Grads is going to do that, but I just think the situation now between with fans, coach and QB is reminiscent of what happened in Seattle. We can only hope it turn as good for us.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #27 : November 14, 2006, 10:03:46 AM »

that's what I was getting at. Hasselbeck gained experience and grew in Holmgren's offense and went on to lead one fo the most potent offenses in football and take them to a SB.

Right, I just added the stats to illustrate your point.

acacius

Hall of Famer

« #28 : November 14, 2006, 10:03:54 AM »

Unless we can get a proven veteran like Brees or McNair, drafting is no different than a scratch off ticket,

Honestly, it's not really much more so than any other position, especially when you're talking in the top 10 range rather than first round overall.  Since 2000, the following have been the qbs taken with top 10 picks: Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Carson Palmer, David Carr, Joey Harrington, and Mike Vick.  Of those, only one of those is an unequivocable bust and a second hasn't really lived up to his hype. Now look at the success of top 10 WRs or DTs.  It's not really any better and in the case of DT is probably worse.  Yet I don't see people decrying the idea of drafting Branch because DTs are such a crapshoot.

Which isn't to say that I'm in the camp that thinks we HAVE to try to draft a franchise qb.  Almost all rookie qbs do have significant growing pains, and I think expecting perfectly smooth sailing with Grads was very unrealistic.  But I wouldn't be horrified if the team took Quinn, nor am I about to yell at people who want to see it happen.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

« #29 : November 14, 2006, 10:06:20 AM »

that's what I was getting at. Hasselbeck gained experience and grew in Holmgren's offense and went on to lead one fo the most potent offenses in football and take them to a SB.

Right, I just added the stats to illustrate your point.

8)
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Franchise QB Wanted! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools