Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: USF Will Beat UCF by 14+ « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 12, 2007, 04:11:57 PM

If he doesn't go to class, they should kick his butt out of school. Anyone can show up to class.

When you went to college did you go to every class?  I am going to USF now and it is not needed to attend every class.  Some classes are pointless to go to, some instrutors read directly from the book and some people have the ability to grasp math concepts without a professor.  This comment I find 100% ignorant.

You can find whatever you want, but the assertion that a college athlete should be allowed to blow off classes whenever he wants is absurd. First off I paid for my classes, he's on scholarship.  Secondly, I didn't have to go to a prep school to qualify, he did.  Thirdly, if I failed a class I let myself down and maybe my parents.  He fails a class, becomes ineligible, then he lets down the team.  These guys should be in class and if they're not, then they should face the consequences.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 12, 2007, 04:15:51 PM

If he doesn't go to class, they should kick his butt out of school. Anyone can show up to class.

With most college classes, attendance is not mandatory. These students are adults not in middle school.

NCAA eligibility is based on GPA, not attendance record. Now the school or the coach of the team can have more strict standards. But the NCAA doesn't care if an athlete goes to class or not....as long as he/she passes.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#17 : October 12, 2007, 04:21:12 PM

I made no reference to NCAA requirements.  The school should monitor these guys and if they are not attending classes, then they should be disciplined.  This particular athlete is not a Rhodes Scholar and has shown some questionable decision making (see arrest in Sarasota last summer) and thus should be particularly monitored.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 12, 2007, 04:25:21 PM

When you went to college did you go to every class?  I am going to USF now and it is not needed to attend every class.  Some classes are pointless to go to, some instrutors read directly from the book and some people have the ability to grasp math concepts without a professor.  This comment I find 100% ignorant.

With the difficulties that Ford had just getting TO college, I would think attending every class at this point in his education would be a no brainer...

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 12, 2007, 08:52:15 PM

What classes is he taking?  Probably some of the most basic and easy classes possible while he is getting ajested to school and playing football.  I understand that he should be in class but it isn't something that he should be kicked out of school for. 

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 13, 2007, 12:23:03 AM

What classes is he taking?  Probably some of the most basic and easy classes possible while he is getting ajested to school and playing football.  I understand that he should be in class but it isn't something that he should be kicked out of school for.

Of course he shouldn't  ... but he did need to be disciplined to show him that that going to class, ANY class, is mandatory for all athletes.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#21 : October 13, 2007, 12:43:42 AM

And if the trend continues, then they should send him home and not waste their time on him.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 13, 2007, 03:06:52 AM

I made no reference to NCAA requirements.  The school should monitor these guys and if they are not attending classes, then they should be disciplined.  This particular athlete is not a Rhodes Scholar and has shown some questionable decision making (see arrest in Sarasota last summer) and thus should be particularly monitored.

You should shut up now...

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2007/07/usf-freshman-fo.html

July 09, 2007
USF freshman Ford loses father

Freshman running back Mike Ford has overcome much to earn a football scholarship to USF, and the 20-year-old endured a personal tragedy during a difficult time last week as his father, Robert Ford Jr., died suddenly and unexpectedly at age 46.

Robert Ford Jr. was at a social event with friends Friday night when he died, and there still are no answers as to a cause, said Mike Ford's mother, Dondra Walker. Friday had been a tough day for Mike Ford, who had turned himself to Sarasota police early that morning on an outstanding warrant for missing a court appearance relating to traffic citations.

A couple of things to clarify: Ford was released at 6:06 p.m. Friday, about 18 hours after he turned himself in to Sarasota police. He was not required to pay any kind of bond and was released by a county judge on time served. Ford, who had been cited three times since March 2006 for driving without a registration or valid license, had missed a court date on June 12, which caused the warrant to be issued. According to the arrest report, he approached Sarasota police and notified them of the outstanding warrant. The report goes so far as to say that Ford was "very respectful and polite to the officers."

Ford's mother said he had a class at USF the day of his court hearing and "completely forgot," saying that his license had been suspended because he had gotten a ticket and not paid the fine. "He did something stupid, but he wants to put it in the past," she said. His off-field problems are unlikely to result in any significant disciplinary action from USF coach Jim Leavitt.

Services for Robert Ford Jr. will be held Saturday morning in Sarasota. For a better glimpse into his life and how much his son's success meant to him, please read this great story from Chris Anderson of the Sarasota Herald-Tribune. I can't find the story itself on the paper's website, so I've linked to a posting on a message board from two years ago. Our thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#23 : October 13, 2007, 12:08:30 PM

This game is being broadcast around the world on Armed Forces Network - that means our soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq will be watching the #5 USF Bulls! What a great deal.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#24 : October 13, 2007, 12:10:16 PM

You should shut up now...

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2007/07/usf-freshman-fo.html

Friday had been a tough day for Mike Ford, who had turned himself to Sarasota police early that morning on an outstanding warrant for missing a court appearance relating to traffic citations.

A couple of things to clarify: Ford was released at 6:06 p.m. Friday, about 18 hours after he turned himself in to Sarasota police. He was not required to pay any kind of bond and was released by a county judge on time served. Ford, who had been cited three times since March 2006 for driving without a registration or valid license, had missed a court date on June 12, which caused the warrant to be issued. According to the arrest report, he approached Sarasota police and notified them of the outstanding warrant. The report goes so far as to say that Ford was "very respectful and polite to the officers."

Ford's mother said he had a class at USF the day of his court hearing and "completely forgot," saying that his license had been suspended because he had gotten a ticket and not paid the fine. "He did something stupid, but he wants to put it in the past," she said. His off-field problems are unlikely to result in any significant disciplinary action from USF coach Jim Leavitt.

Why?  I'm sorry for his loss, but why is that relevant to the conversation at hand.  His decision making process or sense of responsibility appear questionable (althouhg he gets obvious credit for turning himself in to try and strighten things out) and obviously there are grade issues or else he wouldn't have needed to attend a prep school to gain eligibility.  His arrest was the day before his father's tragic passing so that's a totally separate event.  According to your article he was cited 3 times for driving without a license or registration in just over a year and had missed his court date the previous month.  His own mother stated "he did something stupid".  So maybe you should shut up now.

Bottom line is the players belong in class and he is definitely one that the coaching staff should pay particular attention to both due to his past grade issues and if for no other reason his alleged importance to the teams overall performance this year and for the next three.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 13, 2007, 05:40:26 PM

I can't read the article for you man. It's all in there. Bottom line...

64-12 smackdown over UCF. Doesn't even feel that good because they suck so bad. I was there. That so called running back you have didn't do crap. Your starting QB got pulled. We moved the ball at will and if not for 3 TD drops it would have been worse. UCF fans talking crap at our stadium before the game, then about half way through the 2nd quarter all they could do was complain about the heat. I heard from one set of UCF fans before the game that USF was OverRated according to their chant. 64-12 and their girlfriend are probably putting in their transfer paperwork right now.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 13, 2007, 06:07:33 PM

I bet on USF last week and they couldnt cover the damn spread. I wont touch them again if they cant beat Florida Atlantic by 17.

<cough>

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 13, 2007, 06:09:27 PM

Yeah his team played like garbage today, but this is a little extreme isn't it?

;D

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#28 : October 14, 2007, 06:06:09 PM

I can't read the article for you man. It's all in there. Bottom line...

Your "article" supports my assessment so thanks for posting it.

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 14, 2007, 09:27:44 PM

When you went to college did you go to every class?  I am going to USF now and it is not needed to attend every class.  Some classes are pointless to go to, some instrutors read directly from the book and some people have the ability to grasp math concepts without a professor.  This comment I find 100% ignorant.

You can find whatever you want, but the assertion that a college athlete should be allowed to blow off classes whenever he wants is absurd. First off I paid for my classes, he's on scholarship.  Secondly, I didn't have to go to a prep school to qualify, he did.  Thirdly, if I failed a class I let myself down and maybe my parents.  He fails a class, becomes ineligible, then he lets down the team.  These guys should be in class and if they're not, then they should face the consequences.

Ford's mother said he had a class at USF the day of his court hearing and "completely forgot"

Again, he was in class. I put it in bold. I don't know how else to spell it out to you. He has been attending classes. Just because he didn't qualify initially at Alabama doesn't mean he can't work and go to classes and qualify at USF which he did. None of the stuff he did, getting traffic tickets, would get anybody kicked out of school or off any football team. You're wrong, let it go.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: USF Will Beat UCF by 14+ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools