Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Samoans in the NFL "60 minutes" special 1/17 « previous next »
Page: 1 2

2goodbucs

Starter
: January 17, 2010, 02:07:40 PM

Tonight on CBS after the Chargers vs. Jets game there will be special about Samoans flocking to American Football. Some of you may already know I too am Samoan so please excuse me for seeming to be ecstatic about my pride in my heritage.

Right now American Football is outlawed in the islands of Western Samoa where the Western Samoans have to travel to the nearby island of American Samoa in order to play American Football. Hopefully the royalty of Western Samoa will be more open minded to the thought of American Football after this special comes out.

Below is a excerpt I got from JodaToas blog site about tonights special. http://jodatoa.blogspot.com/

Why Are Samoans Flocking to The NFL? Watch "60 Minutes" Sunday
WHY DO MORE NFL PLAYERS COME FROM A TINY GROUP OF SOUTH PACIFIC ISLANDS THAN FROM ANY OTHER PLACE IN AMERICA? “60 MINUTES” FINDS OUT – SUNDAY ON CBS

60 MINUTES goes to American Samoa to find out how a territory with a population less than the capacity of a pro-football stadium sends more players to the NFL than any similarly populated place in America. In fact, boys born to Samoan parents are estimated to be 56 times more likely to play in the NFL than other Americans, reports Scott Pelley in his story to be broadcast Sunday, Jan. 17 (8-9 p.m., ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The Samoan people tend to be on the larger side and the islands’ six high schools have sent 10 linemen to the NFL in the last five years. One of those 10 NFL linemen who played Samoan high school ball is the Cincinnati Bengals’ Domata Peko, who says Samoans’ speed plays a role as well. “The combination of size and ability and speed, that’s kind of hard to find. Big dudes who can have nimble feet and are able to run and go sideline to sideline,” says Peko. Peko’s teammate, another Samoan named Jonathan Fanene, is a defensive end who proves Peko’s point with his six sacks and a touchdown this season. Says Fanene, “With the talent that we have, we have to take pride of it, especially when you have the opportunity to come to the mainland.”

Fanene’s little, well, not so little, brother, 17-yr.-old Aiulua, is poised to follow in Jonathan’s footsteps. At 6-5 and 280lbs., he’s considering offers from Arizona University and Oregon State. Like many other Samoans, he does a day’s worth of chores before school starts. His father, David, thinks the discipline has a lot to do with his kids’ football success. “That’s how he’s been brought up. Discipline. Obedience should be involved in this house and I am expecting our children to obey us,” Fanene tells Pelley

Jonathan Fanene built his family a palatial home in Samoa with the seven-figure salary his NFL career affords him.

Perhaps the most famous Samoan in the NFL, Pittsburgh’s Troy Polamalu – born in the U.S. to Samoan parents – says the island is lucky to have the option of football. Beyond a career in the NFL, Samoans have little opportunity beyond the military or work in a tuna canning industry based there that is threatening to pull out soon. “The beautiful thing about football is it’s allowed us to get into education,” says Polamalu. “Football is something that comes naturally to us,” he tells Pelley.

There are currently more than 30 Samoans in the NFL and another 200-plus playing Division 1 college football. There are just 65,000 people living on the islands. “What if there were 120 million Samoans,” wonders Polamalu. “How many Samoans would there then be in the NFL?

Heres a link to the video teaser

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#1 : January 17, 2010, 02:20:21 PM

Off subject, but American Samoans are contributing greatly in the US military as well - there are some great NCOs in the military today - as well as soldiers who come from Guam.  I'd say they have more per-capita military members than any state in the USA.

2goodbucs

Starter
#2 : January 17, 2010, 02:28:00 PM

Off subject, but American Samoans are contributing greatly in the US military as well - there are some great NCOs in the military today - as well as soldiers who come from Guam.  I'd say they have more per-capita military members than any state in the USA.
Very true! There is a LOT of Samoans in 100th battalion/442nd infantry in Hawai'i. My grandfather was Colonel of the 100th battalion/442nd infantry "Go for broke!"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 17, 2010, 03:08:22 PM

Physical specimens man!

JoshJohnson11

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 17, 2010, 03:20:56 PM

Whenever I think Samoan I think

Please leave your message after the beep.BEEP!!!

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 17, 2010, 04:31:31 PM

I'm surprised no NFL teams have gone looking for physical freaks in more underdeveloped nations and try to turn them into great football players.

There's bound to be a few Yao Mings, or Great Khalis who could spend 3-4 years learning the game before they adjust. The NFL really needs a developmental league again.

There's too many starters in the league that people can question about being the top 32 in the world at their position. There's bound to be someone out there more athletic with better instincts and intelligence.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 17, 2010, 04:39:11 PM

Off subject, but American Samoans are contributing greatly in the US military as well - there are some great NCOs in the military today - as well as soldiers who come from Guam. I'd say they have more per-capita military members than any state in the USA.

to follow up.....8 deaths per 100k is the highest per capita death rate compared to any of the individual States. What an overlooked sacrifice by the Samoan people. Haven't even looked at Afghanistan stats.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/mil_ira_war_cas_percap-iraqi-war-casualties-per-capita

2goodbucs

Starter
#7 : January 17, 2010, 04:44:50 PM

Off subject, but American Samoans are contributing greatly in the US military as well - there are some great NCOs in the military today - as well as soldiers who come from Guam. I'd say they have more per-capita military members than any state in the USA.

to follow up.....8 deaths per 100k is the highest per capita death rate compared to any of the individual States. What an overlooked sacrifice by the Samoan people. Haven't even looked at Afghanistan stats.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/mil_ira_war_cas_percap-iraqi-war-casualties-per-capita

That's a sad stat to see but I can speak for all Samoans, we LOVE acts of aggression but we are never the aggressors, we are more of the reactors to an action.

Scurvy

Practice Squad

#8 : January 17, 2010, 05:20:29 PM

His nephew.  http://www.nfl.com/players/kalukamaiava/profile?id=MAI059326

2goodbucs

Starter
#9 : January 18, 2010, 01:59:40 AM

For anyone that missed the 60 minutes special here are three parts. The third part is the one that has not been aired on TV.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 18, 2010, 06:38:48 AM

Surprised current NFL players haven't given more money to Samoan teams for a practice field, equipment. 60 mins made reference to some support, but it doesn't seem like enough. Maybe Samoa has more pressing needs after the tsunami.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 18, 2010, 10:25:23 AM

Surprised current NFL players haven't given more money to Samoan teams for a practice field, equipment. 60 mins made reference to some support, but it doesn't seem like enough. Maybe Samoa has more pressing needs after the tsunami.

I thought the same thing when watching. Some of those kids have some crap equipment to practice with.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 18, 2010, 10:27:25 AM

I'm surprised no NFL teams have gone looking for physical freaks in more underdeveloped nations and try to turn them into great football players.

Because if you watch the story, it's about a lot more than just being physical specimens. A LOT more.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 18, 2010, 12:57:53 PM

Not me, I think of this guy:

The Throwin' Samoan, Our own Jack Thompson

2goodbucs

Starter
#14 : January 18, 2010, 02:00:58 PM

The Rock, Lofa Tatupu, Troy Polamalu, has been known to donate almost a million dollars each. Other NFL Samoan players donated too but I don't know the amount. There is sooo many high school football teams and a hand full of college teams on the island that the trickle down effect is making a difference but not that big of it. This year is the first year the youth football program is in business and those little guys are going to get the best when it comes to football and education. I think thats where the majority of the donations are going to, the boys of 11-13 years old (story of their first superbowl here http://americansamoa.gov/news/2010/gov-togiola-inaugurates-first-season-american-youth-football-samoa). The NFL is starting to take notice and will be sending NFL quality equipment to the high schools and colleges in Samoa soon.

On a side note: After me and my family watched the special, everyone got a little bit teary eyed because everything the 60 minutes crew said about the Samoan people were true. We all are Big, strong, humble, disciplined, and family orientated, but most of all we were poor. But being poor didn't stop us from making a living for ourselves, looking back at it now while living comfortably in Florida after recently adopting a poor family, all I can say is that we made it...not rich, but enough to be happy.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Samoans in the NFL "60 minutes" special 1/17 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools