Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Samoans in the NFL "60 minutes" special 1/17 « previous next »
Page: 1 2

2goodbucs

Starter
#15 : January 18, 2010, 02:02:40 PM

Whenever I think Samoan I think

Not me, I think of this guy:

The Throwin' Samoan, Our own Jack Thompson

Yeah, I'm with you on that. But now I think more of the present....like this guy....Roy "The Samoan Bull" Miller

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 18, 2010, 09:53:27 PM

I'm surprised no NFL teams have gone looking for physical freaks in more underdeveloped nations and try to turn them into great football players.

Because if you watch the story, it's about a lot more than just being physical specimens. A LOT more.

I know but there's a bunch of well built, strong, passionate groups of other people in poorer nations.

Just off the top of my head I can think of Sikhs in northern india. They're on average taller and stronger than the rest of the surrounding people. They have the same kind of cultural experiences and there's alot of them in the army and police(at least here in Canada).

There's probably a counterpart to them in another big country like China.

I'm not downplaying the worth of Samoan, I have deep respect for them even before that video. It's just that there's only 60,000 of them. If teams really wanted a big source of potential talent, people like the Sikhs would be a good place to start. I think there's maybe a 100 million of them in the world.

2goodbucs

Starter
#17 : January 18, 2010, 10:36:37 PM

I'm surprised no NFL teams have gone looking for physical freaks in more underdeveloped nations and try to turn them into great football players.

Because if you watch the story, it's about a lot more than just being physical specimens. A LOT more.

I know but there's a bunch of well built, strong, passionate groups of other people in poorer nations.

Just off the top of my head I can think of Sikhs in northern india. They're on average taller and stronger than the rest of the surrounding people. They have the same kind of cultural experiences and there's alot of them in the army and police(at least here in Canada).

There's probably a counterpart to them in another big country like China.

I'm not downplaying the worth of Samoan, I have deep respect for them even before that video. It's just that there's only 60,000 of them. If teams really wanted a big source of potential talent, people like the Sikhs would be a good place to start. I think there's maybe a 100 million of them in the world.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sikh a religion and not a race? I believe that region of India you are talking about are Punjabi. No need to answer that, I will Google it after my post.

I would love to see a Punjabi Football experiment. I remember when they converted Sumo Wrestlers from Japan to train as offensive linemen but they are just not made for high impact and high speed type of sports so that experiment failed. I would like to see something exotic like Australian or New Zealand players (like these highschool players from NZ ).  I would be interested in a populous that the majority of the locals are known to be large people....that is where the NFL will strike gold.

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 18, 2010, 10:51:52 PM

Yeah you're right it is the punjabi people, alot of them just happen to follow the sikh religion.

Yeah New Zealand is a place that interests me alot. Whatever rugby/football combo they play their is interesting, there's some big, quick players with football type instincts. I'm sure they'd be interested in making a few million if they could succeed in the NFL.

As for chinese people, they usually are on the shorter, skinnier non athletic side, but that's more a product of nutrition and upbringing. In Canada here there's alot of Hong Kong immigrants. Alot of them have parents 5'4" and below, and there's guys alot of guys who are 6 footers with decent muscle tone because they work out. I'm sure out of a billion people there's bound to be a few tribes or populations who have the build and upbringing for football.

The MLB has made progress into other countries and alot of other countries can now say their favorite sport is baseball. They have organized teams in other countries now that they can pick and choose talent from.

I'd kind of like the NFL to get like that eventually.

I mean look at our team right now and how many holes there are to fill just to get average performing players. Imagine if some other country just supplied us with one or two prospects to work with.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Samoans in the NFL "60 minutes" special 1/17 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools